Page 43 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2333383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Had the opportunity to read Marvel Zombies "Christmas Carol".

Now before I started I was of the mindset that the whole Marvel Zombies thing had been done to death.

But after reading it, I was wrong. While not tied to previous Marvel Zombie stories, this one took Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" and twisted it into a zombie plague. Scrooge was still the central character and was still visited by the three spirits, but of course, there was a zombie plague running rampant.

It was a good fun, read, perfect for the time of the year.

My xmas comic was the green lantern larfleeze xmas special. It was appropriately stupid. I liked how it had a recipe for agent orange cookies.

Upset that Marvel has found the need to place, in a rather large size, SAME DAY DIGITAL COPY FOR FREE plastered all over the covers.

Why not a simple card in the middle of the book, or a URL on the inside, I let slip the fact Spider Island had a friggin '#tag' on the cover, but now this?!

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    Upset that Marvel has found the need to place, in a rather large size, SAME DAY DIGITAL COPY FOR FREE plastered all over the covers.

Why not a simple card in the middle of the book, or a URL on the inside, I let slip the fact Spider Island had a friggin '#tag' on the cover, but now this?!
    It's an enticing incentive to the potential buyer, to offset the additional $1 they're paying over the majority of DC titles.

It's a sales pitch.

Putting the ad inside the book would kinda defeat the purpose (and ads do mention this).

And really, it's still a MILE better than the Marvel ads in the 80's that had stuff like a third of the cover taken up with the 'Win A Bike At Toys R Us' etc. One of those annoys the hell out of me as it's on one of the key Dark Phoenix Saga issues, issue 137. 'THIS COMIC COULD BE WORTH $2500 TO YOU. BUGGER THE ART, THIS IS AN AD, BITCHES'.

This is far less obtrusive, and is good promotional tool for a flexible market, and value proposition for the customer (even though Marvel even admitted it doesn't need to charge $3.99 in the first place).

It could be far worse.

ugh 90s comic adverts pissed me off as a kid. Always advertised toys and games we couldn't get here!

I would buy hardcovers of the years best covers, 500 pages, no logos, no ads, i'd be happy.
    Collection Count (w/ a 12.42% upsize): 3053
    New Family Members: DA-15 Jetwing Prime, DOTM Leader Ironhide, Perfect Effect Reflector, DOTM Shockwave & Skyhammer, eHobby United 3-packs
    Current Desires: Japanese BW Optimal Optimus
    The Holy Grail: Ultmetal Optimus Prime

Visit the Wonderful World of: The Iacon City Hub-Capital Collection

Cat is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Accel View Post
    ugh 90s comic adverts pissed me off as a kid. Always advertised toys and games we couldn't get here!
    I used to get confused by the 'Contra' ads.

I still think we got it better. Robots are always more awesome than humans.

When it comes to comic books, this pic shows I'm clearly a Marvel guy.

I've finally got some room and some cases to have them on show and let me really get a good idea of what I've got. So I thought I'd share.

This is about 95% of my collection of trades, missing my Marvel Essentials volumes, my Sailormoon manga, a couple more tpbs and the three long boxes of floppies (and of course my TF comic book collection).

That's a hell of a collection there Paulbot, considering you have off loaded a tone too in your sales!

I had these arrive today, I'm really glad that they're also the revised versions that re-instate the omitted material too!

I've read Ghost In The Shell 2 roughly 5 times, even with the creators text at the bottom, I am lost as to what the hell I read.

And then...all the...ummmmmm... other things that happen in it....