Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: International Space Station

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Celestially related... I've been seeing what I believe is Venus in the western sky in recent nights, about an hour or so after the sun goes down. It was so bright when I first saw it I thought it was a plane or comet, because the "white noise" of city lighting in my area means I don't usually see stars in the night sky without really concentrating and squinting. Since it wasn't moving, I knew it wasn't a plane... and it was way too big to be a star, so figured it had to be something planetary, and from what I can tell, Venus is currently visible to us during July.
    (if only I had a telescope to get a good look at it while it is so close to us)
    A really good pair of binoculars are also a good alternative for closer night viewing. I had a pair and would spend a lot of time gazing at the moon through them.

Megatran Guest

Celestially related... I've been seeing what I believe is Venus in the western sky in recent nights, about an hour or so after the sun goes down. It was so bright when I first saw it I thought it was a plane or comet, because the "white noise" of city lighting in my area means I don't usually see stars in the night sky without really concentrating and squinting. Since it wasn't moving, I knew it wasn't a plane... and it was way too big to be a star, so figured it had to be something planetary, and from what I can tell, Venus is currently visible to us during July.
    (if only I had a telescope to get a good look at it while it is so close to us)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    In Sydney we can see Venus and Jupiter pretty close to each other in the night sky. I driving home from returning some rental DVDs earlier this evening and I slowed down to admire the two planets.
    Me thinks you guys have been passively smoking with Snoop Dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
    Me thinks you guys have been passively smoking with Snoop Dog.
    I... don't understand that reference. (unless you're talking about this)

From ABC News

A rare celestial conjunction has made Venus and Jupiter drift closer together over the past few weeks, coming to the closest point on Friday.
    While around 670 million kilometres apart, the two planets were side by side and wowed astronomy enthusiasts all over the world.
    The space station regularly circles the earth but it is likely this is the first time it has appeared so close to the two planets which recently aligned.

This was one of the better photos on my phone that I took on the 1st of July (of what should be Venus and Jupiter), when I first noticed the bright light in the western sky just after dark (and as you can see, no other stars are bright enough to be seen through the white noise of the suburban lighting where I am... which is why it got my attention enough to try to figure out what it was).

This was one of the better photos on my phone that I took on the 1st of July (of what should be Venus and Jupiter), when I first noticed the bright light in the western sky just after dark (and as you can see, no other stars are bright enough to be seen through the white noise of the suburban lighting where I am... which is why it got my attention enough to try to figure out what it was).

Lol.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Akky82 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

^ this, every time there's a large/super or red/orange moon and my wife wants a photo >_<

A telescope is somethingI've wanted to get for a long time, just afraid people might think its for creeping ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Akky82 View Post
    A telescope is somethingI've wanted to get for a long time, just afraid people might think its for creeping ^_^
    You're thinking of facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonac View Post
    You're thinking of facebook.