Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Pros & Cons of Michael Bay - discussion topic

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot View Post
    Second thought, watching them run around the desert I wonder how this movie would look if the colours of this movie were made more natural rather than the blue/orange colour grading (Like that Man of Steel in Colour video that went around a few weeks ago).
    Damn you, Michael Bay! Sucking the colour out of the Transformers movies. Grumble grumble *waves fist* 👊

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    I'm all for the globalisation of the franchise. They under-utilised Hong Kong (most of the fighting scenes are Detroit/Chicago staged to look like a Chinatown which is NOTHING like real HK)
    It was explained that it's because they couldn't actually close off streets to shoot scenes. Apparently people were still walking through sets while they were filming, whereas in other countries like the U.S., you can block off the entire area and anyone who's not involved in the production have to make massive detours. Looks nothing like Hong Kong? Bay can't even get the geography of his own country right! In Revenge of the Fallen, the Smithsonian is shown to be in the middle of an Arizonian desert... in Washington D.C.! Also, Sam is living in D.C. in DotM and you can see skyscrapers in the background, despite the fact that Washington D.C. has none.

Btw, you might like this if you haven't already seen it:
    AoE Honest Trailer

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    ^lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuwan Convoy View Post
    Slightly going back to a Trev post er... somewhere back there,
    I saw the movies and hated them, but I feel that I have got my amusement from talking about how bad they are. Oh and my money's worth too. Although I didn't pay , so yay for free tickets.

90% of atheists agree too.
    Oh. My. God.

Someone who didn't like the movie that actually understood what I was saying and therefore didn't feel insulted by it!

Can I frame you on my wall for the novelty value TC?

With the atheist thing, I used to be one of those passionate atheists who yelled from the mountain tops - now I've met too many cool religious people so it's something I still believe but don't really think about or talk about much these days.

I must be one of the 10% of them that didn't mind the flicks

Smint is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I honestly dont mind how awful the designs are or how different the personality of optimus is compared to how we all know him. I just want a good movie.

If its done right this could be a whole other universe of TF. One filled with scrapyard robots, toilet humour and ethnic stereotypes but i can overlook that if the movie is overall good.

If the movie is terrible AND they include all those changes to TF then that gets me annoyed.

First one was a just pass for me, the rest were all terrible.

Bay should just be a second unit director and do action scenes for the directors who know how to tell a story.

The honest trailer is spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It was explained that it's because they couldn't actually close off streets to shoot scenes. Apparently people were still walking through sets while they were filming, whereas in other countries like the U.S., you can block off the entire area and anyone who's not involved in the production have to make massive detours. Looks nothing like Hong Kong? Bay can't even get the geography of his own country right! In Revenge of the Fallen, the Smithsonian is shown to be in the middle of an Arizonian desert... in Washington D.C.! Also, Sam is living in D.C. in DotM and you can see skyscrapers in the background, despite the fact that Washington D.C. has none.

Btw, you might like this if you haven't already seen it:
    AoE Honest Trailer

^lol.
    Honestly, I don't think the fact they couldn't close off streets is an excuse.
    Where they do use real HK the scenes are really good (visually)...
    AoE isn't the first action movie to be shot here ... and other directors have been able to (and still do) fully utilise the city even with the "open road" policy.
    So in some ways I feel like Bay has used that and the air con incident as a bit of a cop out.

Honest Trailers rule. I saw the honest trailer for AoE when it first came out... so worth watching... almost better than the movie!

Honest Trailers rule. I saw the honest trailer for AoE when it first came out... so worth watching... almost better than the movie!
    Yeah I know Honest Trailers, How it Should have ended and Everything Wrong With are the best! Especially bagging out the Bay movies which I don't hate as much as most.
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Interesting article from Wired about Industrial Light and Magic had two interesting Michael Bay anecdotes.

BAY: A lot of artists worked on Optimus’ face. Getting it right was very important. But it’s like a bad face-lift. And I’m there meeting with the artists and we can’t figure out why it doesn’t look right.

PHILLIPS: One of our technical directors—the artist who designs how parts move relative to each other—is a guy named Keiji.

BAY: Keiji wasn’t even on Optimus’ face, but he had a meltdown.

KEIJI YAMAGUCHI (TECHNICAL ANIMATOR): I wanted Optimus Prime to look like a hero, but he didn’t, and I exploded. It was very gentle; I wanted the transformation to be huge, like a wrestler in a sumo ceremony. I said, “You’re insulting the Japanese idea of animation.”

PHILLIPS: Nobody talks to Michael Bay like that.

BAY: I just smiled and I’m like, “Oh my God, I want you to do Optimus Prime.” So he took it and fixed the face. And he also was the genius who helped us figure out how to take these 10,000 parts and make them transform.

WAYNE BILLHEIMER (VFX EXECUTIVE PRODUCER): The second Transformers was my first real working relationship with Bay. I went into a couple of early preproduction meetings with him where I began to get what was going on: “I’m going to shoot it, I’m going to give it to you guys, and you guys are going to have to come up with some stuff. It’s going to be brutal.”

BAY: It has gotten heated a few times. Directors like me love our crew and we love the people we work with, but we push ’em and push ’em and push ’em.

BILLHEIMER: There was a point toward the very end of production when he lost it. He had just come from a screening with Jerry Bruckheimer and didn’t have a complete third act. He called me, screaming: “I just saw a movie that I can’t fucking release!” It was nuclear-level Bay screaming. All I could do was scream back at him. There was a good five minutes of screaming along those lines. The next day he goes, “That was a fun little yell yesterday.”

BAY: They never let you down.

BILLHEIMER: He gets very hot very fast, and very sweary, which is always entertaining.

PHILLIPS: He’s a tyrant. He’s a nonstop string of obscenities. He’ll berate you and tell you you’re an idiot. But he always makes your shot better.

BILLHEIMER: And the movie makes a billion dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Honestly, I don't think the fact they couldn't close off streets is an excuse.
    Where they do use real HK the scenes are really good (visually)...
    AoE isn't the first action movie to be shot here ... and other directors have been able to (and still do) fully utilise the city even with the "open road" policy.
    So in some ways I feel like Bay has used that and the air con incident as a bit of a cop out.
    Now I'm thinking that there was meant to be a transition or brief montage of the team chasing Jetfire across America, ending up in the boneyard in Arizona, and it was cut for whatever reason (remember, this movie was being edited literally hours before its premiere).

As for Washington, alternative locations are used all the time for whatever reason, and I suspect that if one looked hard or closely enough, one could see clues in every movie as to its filming location, so this seems like an odd reason to criticise Bay.

Perhaps the HK locations didn't allow the angles he wanted or the equipment needed wouldn't fit. I have no idea.

After all, Robocop wasn't filmed in Detroit.

drifand is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

I actually don't care about where it was shot, it is the story line that is very weak, and putting in things that is not of the transformers making it bad.

Like Goki has pointed, the only Transformer that even seem to have a character is only Optimus. And he is one of the only Transformers whether Autobot or Decepticon have a face similiar to to anime/cartoon.

Some of the other characters are just horrid, Italian voices not needed, Que was ugly as hell like they can't do a wheeljack. Ironhide was almost the next decent bot that they also killed off. Then you get new bots poping out but no history what so ever and you are just expected to "go with it"

The humans on the other hand, too much to say, I seem to know them better than the Autobots or decepticons in the movie.

I can accept butt-ugly bots so long as the story is good. Just look at Transmutate. Some people initially considered Beast Wars Transformers to be 'ugly' too (re: Trukk Not Munky) - and heck, even as an avid BW fan myself, I gotta say that the Fuzors and Transmetal 2s are pretty darn ugly - but it's proven to be one of the best stories written for Transformers ever. Armadaverse uses more orthodox (i.e. Japanese mecha) style aesthetics, but the cartoon stories are comparatively rather weak.