View Poll Results: TR Chromedome - worth buying?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • Only if...

2 10.53%
  • No

1 5.26%
  • Not interested

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Titans Return Deluxe Chromedome

I wasn't underwhelmed, but I wasn't overwhelmed either.

I'm whelmed.

I also had to file down one of the pegs that clips the front car section in. It was too big for the slot. But I do like the clear wheels as something different.

Edit: it appears that I'm the only one so far to vote "only if". I got him and Highbrow for $20 each in Kmart's toy sale. I'd be highly annoyed if I had paid full price for them.
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Considering how impossible it has been for me to find this toy, I'd be willing to pay full price to save time and fuel in continuing to hunt for it.

I'm quite impressed with this toy and generally agree with UltraMarginal's sentiments. If I'd been living under a rock during Combiner Wars and then got this toy, I probably wouldn't notice or suspect that it was retooled from a pre-existing figure with its gestalt gimmick removed.

The sculpting is a fantastic interpretation of IDW Chromedome, which makes me chuffed. However if I weren't a reader of the IDW comics then I probably wouldn't be as much of a fan of this sculpt and would more likely lean towards TakaraTOMY's more G1 accurate version (albeit at double the price of Hasbro's). Overall I think that this is a really nice toy. Highly recommended, although if the IDW sculpting bothers you then you might want to consider the Legends version if you think the $50+ price tag is worth it. The paint apps on Stylor are pretty pathetic though, as is the lack of effort in the tech specs bio.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I also had to file down one of the pegs that clips the front car section in. It was too big for the slot. But I do like the clear wheels as something different.
    Same here. I also had to file a peg. But apart from that the smooth running of the car mode when pushed along is excellent engineering (once to often I've come across car modes where three wheels touch the ground at best). The kids will love that provided they can transform it properly.

Chromedome Action pics posted here.

So I did end up buying this at the recommendation of you folks, and memories of enjoying reading the MTMTE comics years ago.

It's a fairly average figure, in both the good and bad way. It doesn't do anything particularly poorly, but it also doesn't excel anywhere except the headsculpt, which is adorable.

Middle of the road for me. I've got 5 of the 8 deluxes released in this line so far and it's just about tied in third place (1st Blurr, 2nd Wolfwire, 3rd Hardhead/Chromedome, 5th Highbrow).
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

Quote Originally Posted by doublespy View Post
    New/remould/redeco - Re-used engineering from the CW Dead End mould
    This article points out in painstaking detail how Chromedome is not a redeco of Dead End.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This article points out in painstaking detail how Chromedome is not a redeco of Dead End.
    if you look at the moulding on blur and chromedome, specifically the upper legs its the same parts just in different colours. one of the guns are identical just again different colours

Quote Originally Posted by Autobot1995 View Post
    if you look at the moulding on blur and chromedome, specifically the upper legs its the same parts just in different colours. one of the guns are identical just again different colours
    That doesn't bother me at all. Both Chromedome and Blurr end up as totally distinct bots and vehicles, so a few minor parts shares is all good. Also, if a bit of mould-sharing helps HasTak spread the budget over more characters, I'm perfectly ok with that.

As for my thoughts on Domey, I like him. Took the basics from the best of the two CW sedans, and improved on them, adding actual feet, a bumper/bonnet section that folds in to the body much better, a moving canopy for the Titanmaster, and due to the TM, much better head articulation

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I didn't say re-deco, re-used engineering rather. Was just following the format.

And I didn't need to read that painstakingly long article to figure out Chromedome is not a repaint