Thread: Toy Review - MP-32 Optimus Primal/Beast Convoy

Default Toy Review - MP-32 Optimus Primal/Beast Convoy

BEAST CONVOY (a.k.a. Optimus Primal)
    Series – Masterpiece
    Size/class - N/A
    New/remould/redeco - New
    Wave - N/A
    Released here – No. Released in Japan in late October, 2016
    Approximate Retail Price - 12000JPY (AU$155)
    Approximate Size - 18cm
    Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode – silverback gorilla
    Main Features/Gimmicks – deployable forearm and shoulder cannons, LED eyes (batteries not included)
    Main Colours – dark grey
    Main Accessories – 2 swords & interchangeable face plates

Got mine today and wow, what a stunning piece!

There'll be no one complaining about the paint on this MP, that's for sure! Paint, joints, design, QC... everything is so well done. It's the perfect high-end companion to the original toy - and takes nothing away from it either. The original is great and your imagination fills in the rest (and then some); but this is virtually like playing with the model from the show - uncannily accurate.

I could see play-fans might get a little frustrated - things snap together so tightly it can take a little time to transform - with some gentle prying - plus the clearance on the beast head is probably the finest i've ever seen, less than milimetres.

But it does clear, and it just feels like it's been designed and produced to exacting standards. The transformation has nothing that seems unnecessary or overly complicated. The light up eye gimmick fits in what must be the smallest possible compartment, in the cleverest possible spot, where there is absolutely no light leakage. All the eyes are painted over transparent red plastic so they look stunning with and without light behind them too. The beast head is on a clever ball joint design that lets it safely and easily pop off, while staying firmly lodged otherwise - in 2 distinct spots - one completely flush with the body and another slightly raised for more movement. The fur rendering is incredible, and just makes me look at a mostly unpainted MP like Shockwave and wonder why they keep flip-flopping between releases! I still love you Shocky!

I'm struggling to think of another MP that exceeds the quality on show here. I don't want to sound like i'm gushing too much though, so i will add - it would have been nice to have some more downwards tilt on his knees for when you bend his legs to 90Ί. And for some reason, the angry beast head has a distinct lack of sculpted teeth in the middle bottom row. They're present on the promotional shots, and it doesn't look like QC, so it seems they got rid of them last minute for some bizarre reason!

Bring on Cheetor and may the MP Beast Wars continue!
    Last edited by kurdt_the_goat; 3rd November 2016 at 11:58 PM.

Cheers for the review Kurdt!

Didn't notice the teeth, but I don't have him in-hand yet, so have only been staring at the pics.

Seems like they removed the teeth following the initial stock shots, because they're not seen on the figure at the ACG event in July:

Nor the recent Dengeki preview:

I wonder if there was a molding error and they thought: "bugger it!"?

Oh well, can't wait to get him! Hopefully sometime this week.

No poll, kurdt?

Mine's still in transit. Where are people displaying their MP Beast Convoy? With other MPs? With BW toys? I've decided to display it on MP shelf for now, but odds are that it will be overtaken by other G1 MPs and I'll eventually have to migrate it over to my BW shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    No poll, kurdt?

Mine's still in transit. Where are people displaying their MP Beast Convoy? With other MPs? With BW toys? I've decided to display it on MP shelf for now, but odds are that it will be overtaken by other G1 MPs and I'll eventually have to migrate it over to my BW shelf.
    I will be displaying mine with Gen Rattrap, Waspinator and Rhinox. Universe Dinobot and Cheetor thrown in there as well.

I have 1 Deltof that displays each on screen character from each series, so my MP/CHUG Beast Wars will displayed there. I will take a photo and post once I get my MP Primal.

This guy is so cool, I could totally be happy with him just chilling out with my other Masterpiece leaders. Hall of Champions style.

The one thing that has surprised me the most though is how much I like the Gorilla mode. I thought I would NEVER bother with his beast mode, but for the past two days, I've been strangely transfixed by it. It looks like I reached into my tv, grabbed Primal and he turned into a 3d model through magic! (except for the back).

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    No poll, kurdt?
    No need, everyone will vote the same! Also, i forgot

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    No need, everyone will vote the same! Also, i forgot
    What do you mean everyone will vote the same? It's trukk not munkey

When Primal arrives, he'll be displayed by himself... until January, when Cheetor arrives

TRANSFORMERS: DEICIDE -- The Beast Wars 20th Anniversary Comic Book series that could have been...
    TRANSFORMERS: UNITY -- the BotCon 2016 Comic Book that should have been...

Kurt and T.C pretty much summed up my positive feelings towards this figure. What an incredible Masterpiece!

I will just put up some photos and a few comments here and there:

MONKEY GORILLA MODE:

It really helps with the show accuracy when they have the 3D character model from the show. The hydrographic-printed fur details look amazing in person. And the painted chest area has smooth transition across different parts.

The back is mostly clean. Considering how much robot bits need to be concealed it's a necessary compromise. Same with the should pads. Industrial design has a lot to do with setting the priorities and comprising.

There's a 5mm peg that swings out on the back. Anybody know what it's for? I thought it was for Generations Rattrap to ride on his back but it would fit?

There's a hinge on the waist piece that allows the thighs to clear the stomach and be able to bend forward for quadruped poses.

Pose-ability is pretty good in this mode. I find it surprising that he can be so emotive without proper knee bends.

All of the faces are painted/tampograhed with crisp details and full of personality.

TRANSFORMATION:
    Nothing really wows but it's a very satisfying process. Everything has a place to tab in. The panel shifting on the legs is really clever.

'BOT MODE:

This robot mode is taking "like it's jumped from the TV" to the next level: including the texture. All the 3D texturing on the show model is amazingly recreated with metallic paint apps, which is something they couldn't when designing the G1-based MPs. I'm already imagining that beautiful contrast between the T-Rex skin texture and shining robot bits on MP Megatron

Pose-ability is great. If you're not happy with the 90 degree knee bend the transformation joint can be used as a double hinge. I have to mention the ankle joint. It's a pinned rocker joint on a rotational joint which allows front/back and side to side at the same time. And it's also connected to Primal's signature foot pistons.

Face-swapping in 'bot mode is equally fun. There's some really minor paint imperfections on the spare faces but overall the QC is top-notch.

The instructions aren’t very clear on how to take the face off. The antennae can rotate so you get your finger nail in the seam to pry it open. It's not the easiest way but it makes the head look more cohesive.

The obligatory shot.

VERDICT:
    Do yourself a favor and get him. I ordered two and am having my fingers crossed that this one sells extremely well.

Is the display stand included or is it from MP Tracks?