Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electronic Music Appreciation Thread

My shiny new Dell monitor arrived which pretty much completes my music room. Last piece of the puzzle is an AKAI LPD8 which I'll probably get as a reward when I complete my CCNA.

looks awesome
    wish i had space like this

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    looks awesome
    wish i had space like this
    Cheers Blackie, I'm really happy with the setup. The key thing to remember here is this: When you're looking for a new place to live, choose your words very wisely. For example, I said (to my gf): "All I want is one room to use as my music/Transformers room, you can do whatever you like with the rest." This will put you in the good books, and chances are you will get to do what you like with some of the other rooms anyway (lounge and study in my case).

Can't stop listening to this amazing mix thanks to the equally amazing Bondax, give it a listen chaps!

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post

What's everyone been listening to this week? I've been enjoying some more chilled out stuff so far, loving this little EP by bandcamp artist Andrea at the moment!
    actually set the str8 150's up last night and cleared the dust out of the old hard house wrekids... how embarrassing they were the the days
    been screwing around with massive a bit too.

aaaaand i won free tix for tonight
    winner

and a new mix

yes
    nice job!
    on both .

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    My shiny new Dell monitor arrived which pretty much completes my music room. Last piece of the puzzle is an AKAI LPD8 which I'll probably get as a reward when I complete my CCNA.

Sweet narlies...

cheers mate

heres a new one because i was bored again this arvo

stuffed up once or twice like usual XD

new

ps dd, i need some new speakers for my setup, atm im using 2 crappy computer speakers, recommend me some? :P

cheers mate

heres a new one because i was bored again this arvo

stuffed up once or twice like usual XD

new

ps dd, i need some new speakers for my setup, atm im using 2 crappy computer speakers, recommend me some? :P
    Awesome, will be giving the new mix a listen later tonight mate.

re: the speakers - I did a load of research a while back and imo for the price you won't get much better than the ones I use. This is exactly what I got from the same buyer (who's also in Melbourne so +1 for you) - 2 X JBL LSR2325P @ $220ea. Amazing, AMAZING monitors which are great for music listening AND production. You can even get a JBL device for them which will tune them to the room they're in, and an additional sub (which I still need to buy!).

You'll also need an audio interface (essentially an external soundcard) to connect the monitors/speakers to your PC/laptop and some nice balanced TRS to TRS cables.

For the cables I always go with Pro Audio LA <-- those ones I've linked are the exact ones I'm using (2 X for speakers, 2 X for MicroKorg keyboard). You can even choose what colour you want as they're custom made!

In terms of audio interfaces the sky (and budget) is the limit. After much research I went with the Focusrite Saffire Pro24 FireWire Audio Interface (bought from ebay also) which does everything I could ever want and more. You will definitely need a good firewire card in your PC or laptop to support this however, I use the Focusrite recommended (and very cheap) STARTECH PCI1394_4T 4-PORT FIREWIRE PCI CARD in my desktop PC and SIIG SIFWEC2P 2-Port FireWire-400 ExpressCard/34 Expansion Card in my Lenovo ThinkPad laptop. Also note that it's important for your firewire cable to be 2m or less in length for optimal performance.

A lot of it obviously comes down to budget and stuff though. I'm in the process of upgrading the sound setup in my PC gaming/2nd music listening room atm. I'm using that cheap (but awesome) DAC (this one) I linked a while back and intend to get some Audioengine A2's for the speakers. All comes back to how much you want to spend Will prob end up buying a better switching power supply for that Topping DAC too...It keeps going

Candy time...

Better version of my audio interface:

Danger art n stuff...Just because he's awesome and I'm obsessed

Last edited by Doubledealer; 18th May 2012 at 08:21 PM.

looks like i need to start saving then

plus no firewire means ill be using USB, silly macbook not having firewire

looks like i need to start saving then

plus no firewire means ill be using USB, silly macbook not having firewire
    You probably wouldn't want to use it even if it did. As long as your laptop has an ExpressCard/34 expansion slot you'll be fine to use something like the firewire card I mentioned. Plus you get an extra glowing blue light, can't beat that (check the thing coming out the right of my laptop).

macs dont do expansion >_>