Page 11 of 49 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162131 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    As long as you declare it, you can't get into trouble for it... just like if you had food, drugs or real weapons in your luggage.
    If you go with the Federal Import form filled out (if you were planning to get a Megatron toy), you will be allowed to take it with you if you are in WA and arriving in Perth first. If you arrive on the East Coast first and travel to WA by a domestic flight, then you will have it confiscated until you can get a transit permit, if that state requires one.
    If you arrive at Perth without the Federal Import form, Customs will hold the toy (for a few weeks) until you come back with one... provided you declared it to them before they find it.

Customs know what to look for with certain prohibited items, and since MP Megatron was packaged in robot mode, it's shape was something they were trained to look out for... and even since 2007, as they found and held my Gold MP Megatron, which was only just a couple years ago... and the package wasn't even opened to see what was inside.
    That process at the end of 2014, to retrieve that toy from Customs, was what prompted me to research the process for all states of Australia and post up this topic.

Unfortunately, you would need to renew it every 3 years, IF you wanted to legally own one of the Megatron toys in the first posting.
    Victoria and NSW look to be the states that require the most effort and cost to legally own those toys, but at least there is a process in place to legally own them at all. It's possible to have them in your home without a permit and never have a problem, but if you ever decide to sell the toy, or your house gets robbed and reported to the police, or ever gets raided by the police, you could face severe weapons charges.
    The risk is minimal, and I don't know if any member here even has one, but none of us here would risk telling members to NOT worry about the permits just because they are toys, as we would be soliciting an offence, and face prosecution as well. It is entirely your decision.

Aside from a couple of stricter states, we probably have it pretty good in Australia at the moment for legal ownership of Gen1 & MP Megatron. Importing them is a free process that just requires filling out a form, and most states allow free ownership in private homes (not to be taken out in public).

Considering that it just takes a few incidents highlighted by the media of robberies with fake/imitation weapons, politicians could tighten the laws at any time, to have them require licensing like real firearms. (you can cause the same amount of panic and fear from a fake weapon, and commit the same crimes, as most don't fire their real guns... so it is no different to taking an unloaded real weapon to a robbery)
    So I'd have to pay $188.20 every 3 years just to keep my toy? That really sucks. I could probably wallow the bill once, but not for an eternity.

I wish there was some other legal way to own these gun transformers toys without such ridiculous fees.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    So I'd have to pay $188.20 every 3 years just to keep my toy? That really sucks. I could probably wallow the bill once, but not for an eternity.

I wish there was some other legal way to own these gun transformers toys without such ridiculous fees.
    Move to one of the better states, like Queensland or Western Australia...

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Hi, Vic as well, I've read the info and it seems easy enough despite the cost of renewal, but how would I get one of the listed "safe" referee's for the letter?

I don't personally know any of the ones listed, I don't even have a regular dentist?

Even getting something "safe" to store the toy in is easier than getting a reference in my case

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Hi, Vic as well, I've read the info and it seems easy enough despite the cost of renewal, but how would I get one of the listed "safe" referee's for the letter?

I don't personally know any of the ones listed, I don't even have a regular dentist?

Even getting something "safe" to store the toy in is easier than getting a reference in my case
    I think a family doctor can be a referee, right? That's what I was planning to do.

My only other concerns are trying to get something safe to store it in, as I would prefer to just keep it on display on a high shelf.

Also, would taking mild anxiety medication hinder getting a permit?

Man, I really hate all the effort needed for get a Megatron toy. I almost hope a new 2.0 of MP Megatron doesn't happen at all.

I think a family doctor can be a referee, right? That's what I was planning to do.

My only other concerns are trying to get something safe to store it in, as I would prefer to just keep it on display on a high shelf.

Man, I really hate all the effort needed for get a Megatron toy. I almost hope a new 2.0 of MP Megatron doesn't happen at all.
    I used to have a family doctor but when we moved suburbs we basically have nothing of a regular acquaintance, pretty sure the old guy won't even remember me (its rare I visit a doctor anyway, strong immune system )

No idea for your anxiety medication, I don't remember seeing anything on the forms about medical stuff

Um scratch that, I got the importation permit mixed up with the letter, there is a tickbox section, I think you might be ok as long as its just one box, the first one specifically, you just need a good reference to back you up.

As for me I think one of my old teachers may be able to assist, since we are still in contact but long distance

If there is too much hassle getting a permit for the toy, perhaps email the firearms department and see if there are any exemptions available for verified hobbyists or toy collectors.
    If not, get them to reiterate the steps necessary for obtaining and owning a replica weapon toy.

If there is too much hassle getting a permit for the toy, perhaps email the firearms department and see if there are any exemptions available for verified hobbyists or toy collectors.
    If not, get them to reiterate the steps necessary for obtaining and owning a replica weapon toy.
    How does one get verified as a hobbyist/toy collector?

This would be a good work around but I got a feeling they'll just refer us to the forms at hand

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    How does one get verified as a hobbyist/toy collector?

This would be a good work around but I got a feeling they'll just refer us to the forms at hand
    Photo proof of the collection would suffice, if you have a decent amount already.

Photo proof of the collection would suffice, if you have a decent amount already.
    Oh that wouldn't be a problem if that's the case, cheers!

I'll try emailing for an exception but otherwise I'll just chase down old contacts, certainly not easy obtaining one legally here but its possible