View Poll Results: BH VOY Shockwave - worth buying?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 52.17%
  • Only if...

6 26.09%
  • Not worth it

1 4.35%
  • I'm not even interested

4 17.39%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review: Beast Hunters VOY Shockwave

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbleb33 View Post
    ...after all its Shockwave and it is only logical to have him in your collection.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Booo. What a crap toy.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikeSoundwave View Post
    To me this is one of those figures I was really looking forward to but when I get him he's just not that good and gets old pretty quickly.
    I agree here. I picked up the takaratomy Go version, mainly because of the colours.

The only saving grace for this guy is the robot mode. In that it looks good. One shonky ratchet in his hip allows him a floppy leg. Solid feet but no ankles, however this doesn't really detract from his balance all that much. Effective light piping. Clever use of the tank tread as the cannon cable. He has a Sumo challenge mode though

Horrible horrible vehicle mode. I find it shocking that they manage to include 20 steps for transformation on the instructions and its still ridiculously hard to see what is going on in some of the pictures. then once he's in vehicle mode it just looks horrid. Unbalanced with one shoulder under and another over. Hand at the front. head turned backwards. Oh My God. I HATE the vehicle mode. It is awful. really really awful.

I have macdonalds toys that have better vehicles than this rubbish. He'll be staying in robot mode for the rest of his life. It hurts my eyes to look at him.

Anybody buy Shockwave on the strength of his alt-mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Anybody buy Shockwave on the strength of his alt-mode?
    There is no strength in the vehicle mode It is THAT bad. They might have well made him not Transform. That's how I feel about it. It is just super super lazy.

You've just convinced me to stick with my FOC Shockwave Tets. Thanks for saving me some money
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

The robot mode is nice enough. The cannon-arm is a bit too big and ungainly. The rear treads section really needs something to lock it into place, because when the left tread is attached to the cannon-arm, it makes the whole backpack move when you move the cannon-arm. It's almost as if it was only designed to just look nice with little consideration as to how it should play well.

The alt mode is incredibly underwhelming. This toy just takes too much of a cue from DotM Shockwave; it would've been nicer if it'd taken more of a cue from G1 Shockwave (like FoC Shockwave; sure he's a jet, but it's a jet inspired by G1 Shockwave's gun mode (so much so that people can make an unofficial gun mode out of it!)). It would've been nicer as say a G1 Shockwave's gun mode inspired tank instead of being a... whatever that thing is that the alt mode is.

I find this toy to be comparable with TFPRiD Megatron. Both toys have those "WTH?!" alt modes, but at least Shockwave doesn't come with the lame TFPRiD gimmick that Megatron has (the sword that can never stay deployed ), nor is he predominantly covered in Hasbro Grey (even the images of the Hasbro version doesn't look as bad as Megatron). And as annoying as the non-locking backpack is, it's not as bad as Megatron's shoulders that poorly lock into place (the easy solution is to just disconnect the tread and play with the robot without it connecting to the cannon-arm). The main advantages that Megatron has over Shockwave is better head articulation and no oversized cannon arm that gets in its own way.

As mainly stated above, I got the Japanese version for the colours as the red hasbro one looks like a KO. And the robot mode is great as he will stay that way in my collection due to the absolutely rubbish alt mode.

the torture of others sparks is music to my sensors!!!

I have the Hasbro version, well I prefer the red Armor. Feels like a red dragon/snake armor for me. Although Ive seen Gok's metallic painted Takara version - I didn't like the charcoal gray armor coloring, looks dull. Admittedly I haven't tried to transform this guy at all. Im also amused by the cannon arm, which for me is more like his Blender arm - smoothies anyone?

It took a bit of effort to stick in the treads to his cannon arm, had to poke it in place. They should've made it easier like a clasp or ballsocket or something. I do like that he appears bulky. I wish they just did the head on a ball and socket coz he can move his head side to side, but not up or down which is a shame
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    You've just convinced me to stick with my FOC Shockwave Tets. Thanks for saving me some money
    Anytime
    Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    it makes the whole backpack move when you move the cannon-arm. It's almost as if it was only designed to just look nice with little consideration as to how it should play well.
    Maybe you got a dud with yours Goki, mine has no issues with the backpack sliding around at all. It is just got a dodgy weak hip ratchet which is bad because whenever he lifts his arm up the hip gives and he is suddenly poiting at the ground on one foot.

Ranty review on my blog with pics

Lately I have been finding that the arm cannon isn't as cool as I though initially either, it is too large to really do much.

Except make smootheis

Thanks Liege

Got mine today and I like it. It's a good size for a Prime toy.

The transformation is a bit simple, but what exactly can you do?