Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Possibility of eBay being no longer available to Australia

I got the email, but yeah - the link in it just took me to eBay, nothing useful.

I don't know about this. Seems fishy to me. The Netflix Tax is an older tax targeting intangible goods:

The key features of the ‘Netflix tax’ are as follows:

1. it will be imposed on intangible supplies such as supplies of digital content, games and software—but will also extend to consultancy and professional services performed offshore for customers in Australia
    2. the liability for the GST will rest either with the supplier or with the operator of an electronic distribution service
    3. GST will be imposed at a rate of 10 per cent on the value of the supply
    4. at this stage it would appear that all intangible supplies will be caught, regardless of the value of the supply (currently goods valued of less than $1,000 from overseas suppliers over the internet imported by Australian consumers are not covered under the GST Act, hence it is likely there might be scope for this value of intangible supplies to be changed by regulation) and
    5. only supplies made to consumers will be caught: business-to-business transactions will be exempt.

Taken from here.

I think this is separate from the issue about foreign sellers levying GST on their goods. It appears to simply be adding GST to ebay's standard fees, not impacting on the price of the goods purchased.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

For those who didn't get the email...ever sold something on ebay, because I do, perhaps that's the trigger for the email?