Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: POTP retail prices in Australia at the major chains

Kmart have them listed on their site now, $35 a pop! Though says coming soon.

http://www.kmart.com.au/product/tran...sorted/1944316

Who knew, Myer, with their regular sales would be the place to go!

bowspearer Guest

I'll admit that at the time PotP came out and I wasn't a fan of the price rises, however given what we're now seeing with Siege, I have a theory as to why the prices jumped the way they did.

The fact is that Hasbro did have $35 deluxes, however they were movie tie-ins and you always wound up getting shelfwarmers when the movie hype died out (yes retailers over-ordering on initial case assortments was also a factor, but that's one which has always been a problem and a topic in and of itself).

However main line $36AUD Deluxes is something we simply haven't seen since the post Asian Economic Crisis days of Beast Machines, when I remember it costing $40 for Deluxes, and that was at Kmart.

Yes it's possible that Hasbro could offer a premium $36AUD (and higher US RRP as well) figure and collectors would snap it up, but what about parents of children who aren't really clued-in? Are they prepared to pay $36 for any deluxe - let alone one with the kind of tolerances, plastic quality and detailing which you'd traditionally see from the likes of a Macfarlane Toys release?

The fact is that it's a gamble, and one which despite Hasbro's best intentions, could have horribly backfired.

Which leads me to this theory. As of the beginning of this year, Hasbro would have had siege well and truly under development and would most likely have had a couple of options on the table in terms of figure budgets - a plan a and a plan b. However for their plan a to go ahead, they needed to have a higher budget on figures than normal, which required a higher price point to be charged on them at retail. That in turn, created a situation where they had to see whether people would pay higher price points on those sizes of figures to begin with. So how do you do that?

You do a marketing test with figures which you know have a lower budget and have been selling at a lower RRP and bounce their RRP up to the higher price point. If the experiment fails, you can just lower the price point to generate sales and you haven't really lost out. Conversely, if consumers still buy at the higher price point, you know you can assign the higher budget to the figures you're developing and give them more pain apps, better quality plastic and therefore better tolerances than a lower price point would have allowed.

In fact, I'd theorise that had the higher price point flopped, we'd still be seeing these figures, but with much less paint and detailing and the plastic quality, and therefore the tolerances, would have been lower too.

In short, if I'm correct and the higher that previous prices on PotP was an exercise in market research, then if Siege is the outcome of it, then I'm not entirely sure it was a bad thing.

The only negative I have with the Siege line, after everything I've seen in figure reviews of them, is that we should already have them out here.