Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New IDW Transformers crossover comic

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New IDW Transformers crossover comic

Mars Attacks the Transformers

Out 23rd January.

I can't believe Hasbro would approve this pimping-out of a franchise that had quality crossovers with Marvel, GI Joe, Spiderman, plus toys for Star Wars and Marvel/Avengers. Transformers hasn't gone the comedy angle for a reason - it would discredit all future seriousness in the brand.
    I'll see what they do with it, but am not impressed with IDW just using a respected story/universe to make a quick dollar by pairing it up with anything they like.

I'm not sure that the current Mars Attack comic is as comedic or outright silly as the movie was.

Take this review of a recent issue for instance.

John Layman does an excellent job of including stills from the collecting card series in key parts of the story. His portrayal of the Martians is new and daunting, making the creatures frightening more than comedic like in Burton’s film.

The true strength of the book comes from Layman’s story. With such well formulated but wildly unpredictable scenarios, the book conveys a take-no-prisoners tone.

And best of all, Layman makes the Martians the focus of the book. Unlike IDW’s Godzilla in which the title character barely shows up amidst a boring plot, Mars Attacks balances the Martian invaders’ story expertly with the human fight for survival.

Another splinter/alternate universe?

I'd actually really like this if they set it in the hearts of steel universe with their 1850's alt modes!

Sadly it'll probably end up something like the bots and cons have to team up to take out a common enemy or the cons will side with the martians (at least Starscream) before double crossing/being double crossed.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I got a response on twiter today from the mars ambassador, ill post it up tonight when i am home.

good promotional work
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    I got a response on twiter today from the mars ambassador, ill post it up tonight when i am home.

good promotional work
    a little later then expected but here it is

UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

More info on this comic... which is in the style of the Infestation comics, with it being the "Mars Attacks" franchise invading five comic universes.
    Link includes the five cover images, plus several hypothetical covers if the franchise had invaded other IDW comic licenses (or maybe a hint at a second series).

Mars Attacks was originally a set of Trading cards and they're kind of messed up. That said, I don't really care about a crossover with Transformers.

It seems like the movie was a parody of the 1960s science fiction story/concept. But even the 1960s version of martians wouldn't work to well with Transformers, now that we are more informed with actual and plausible science and physics.

Looking on their facebook page, it sounds like this will be a multi-universe crossover like their Infestation story. Aside from "attacking" Transformers, they will also be taking on Ghostbusters, KISS and Popeye.

Out of the five franchises being combined, Transformers is way out of the league of the other four... it's almost an insult. An odd grouping at the very least.

Animorphs was the worst case of pimping out the franchise IMO. Some might argue that Disney Label was pretty cringeworthy too -- although I didn't mind them (though they were overpriced -- I never got any of them at full RRP).