Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ironman movie (semi review)

Default Ironman movie (semi review)

Well, i wasn't going to do this, cause i assume most of you will go and see it regardless! But i figure, you guys usually get everything before i do, so here's something i get (to see) before you!

Lucky me got free tix to a premiere of Ironman tonight. Had to leave work early (they always have these premieres at 6.30 which is a pain in the ass time for me to make!), but it was worth it!

Anyway, i have no prior attachment to Ironman, other than his appearance in Marvel vs Capcom 2! So unlike Transformers, i may have missed unfaithful adaptations and probably wasn't as critical - but overall i really enjoyed this movie.

I dont want to spoil much so i'm just gonna comment on a few things, and try and compare to TF and some other superhero movies.

Ironman suit design - bloody awesome! I think this is a great example of how you don't have to change up the design of these characters too much, in an effort to make them believable. In fact i think he's more believable because of that - and his simple design and elegant colouring gives him a strong image that i felt was lacking in the Transformers update to the big screen. I don't know how recent this is, but i happened across this page while looking for pics of the new Universe toys - http://www.hasbro.com/transformers/universe/ - and i must say i was more moved by this piece of 3d than anything in the real TF movie. Nostalgia speaking of course, but there's something to be said for the cleaner face designs and those moments where you can take in the character designs and distinctive features. I felt TF in comparison was too fast in the action scenes, but hey i guess that's Bay for ya! Another comparison would be with Magneto from the X-Men movies - i hate hate hate that cruddy tin can he wears, compared to the awesome design of his helmet in the cartoons/comics. They joked about lycra spandex, but it wouldn't have hurt if the X-men uniforms had a bit more colour like the characters were known for!

Since Ironman focuses on the character of Ironman, it seems he's lot more developed than the characters in Transformers. He's obviously given way more screentime than all of the Transformers combined; i'm hoping this is something that changes for TF2, although i appreciate the 'human' aspect is part of the new movies success. Robert Downey Jr plays the character a bit cocky, which at first i felt was just his own personality coming through! But as the movie went on, he didn't get on my nerves like i thought he would, and actually offers some quality comic relief (no "my bad" lameness!). He's always strong minded which is a good character trait in my opinion - i got sick of the Spiderman movies cause of the emotional aspects Peter Parker comes up against ... and spends the whole movie trying to figure out!

It'll be hard for an Ironman 2 movie to top this one i think, as like most superhero movies, the first deals with the creation aspect of the character, which is what i find the most interesting. This really made me see how in Transformers, they kind of just show up with their story, there's a brief Cybertron moment and they go about their business. I'm hoping for all out war on Cybertron in TF2 - but like i said before, it's a shame where wasn't more of a focus on the Transformers themselves, and where they came from and how they were created. Considering the Transformers are the stars i think they'd be better served with more screentime than the humans. I should point out i haven't read the TF prequel comics so please excuse my comments if they're making you go "wtf"!

The special effects are top notch and there's some great set pieces and poses (i'm sure you've all seen part of the "walk away" in the trailer - it's awesome in full!)

Anyway, i'll close with that and hopefully you guys can add your thoughts when you get around to seeing it. In the meantime, someone point me in the direction of an awesome Ironman figure for my perusal!

Pulse is offline Rank 1 - New or Inactive

From the day I first saw the full trailer, I've been dying to see this! It just looks so freakin' cool.

I've never been a fan of comics but as soon as they turn one of those Comic Superheroes into a live action movie, I just have to see it! (Unless it's something like "Daredevil")

Bring it ON!!!

TheDirtyDigger Guest

Daredevil rocks. One of the best Marvel movies.

Not reading your review coz I don't want the purity spoilt.

spoiler tags to be inserted plz?
    thanks for the update kurdt...i cant wait to see it!!

I don't think there's any spoilers

Can't wait to see it~

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing it!

Its on tonight!! YESSSSSS!
    seeing it after work with the misses.

went to watch it today and i wasn't disappointed.best marvel movie i have seen

I gotta see this flick, looks really good.