Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Damaged During Transformation Help!

Default Damaged During Transformation Help!

I've foolishly damaged a part of one of my most prized catches.

Does anyone know of any super awesome super glue available that could glue the equivalent of two pieces of a toothpick together to appear unbroken?

The damaged part is plastic the size of a toothpick (one of the antennae of the robot). Whilst the damaged part has not yet snapped off, I've kept the whole bot boxed and hidden safely until I find something to remedy it.

Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    I've foolishly damaged a part of one of my most prized catches.

Does anyone know of any super awesome super glue available that could glue the equivalent of two pieces of a toothpick together to appear unbroken?

The damaged part is plastic the size of a toothpick (one of the antennae of the robot). Whilst the damaged part has not yet snapped off, I've kept the whole bot boxed and hidden safely until I find something to remedy it.

Please help!
    G1 Roadbuster's antenna?

Loctite 406 and Zapa gap are the two most evil but strong glues ever. Glue something with this stuff and if you try to break it again it wont be the glue that snap's And god help your skin if its on your hands. Someone at work glued their fingers together and ended up in hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    G1 Roadbuster's antenna?
    Nope, but close in terms of cost damage. It's FP Bruticus' left head antenna. I transformed it and had the two antennae go through Onslaught's fist holes, but found out that one of them didn't entirely make it later.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    Loctite 406 and Zapa gap are the two most evil but strong glues ever. Glue something with this stuff and if you try to break it again it wont be the glue that snap's And god help your skin if its on your hands. Someone at work glued their fingers together and ended up in hospital.
    Really appreciate those names, and thanks for the tip. I've heard of devilish super strong glues but just needed those names - that's the sort of demon power I need for the job. I'll try them out later this year when I permanently relocate back to Sydney. For the time being I might start practicing with gluing toothpicks back together!

Good idea to practice with the toothpicks. Lots and lots of practice.

From my experience with these small things, it MAY be easier to snap the piece off completely rather than try to repair it partially broken. It usually makes for a neater end product.

Good luck though.

Yesss Loctite 406 one of the most evil glues around... have used it at work, it can be very unforgiving because you get one chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    Good idea to practice with the toothpicks. Lots and lots of practice.

From my experience with these small things, it MAY be easier to snap the piece off completely rather than try to repair it partially broken. It usually makes for a neater end product.

Good luck though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabias Prime View Post
    Yesss Loctite 406 one of the most evil glues around... have used it at work, it can be very unforgiving because you get one chance...
    Both really good pieces of advice. I've been imagining the amount of precision timing needed and didn't consider breaking snapping the piece off completely first. Although the thought makes me cringe. I'll have a better idea after I've played around with the Loctite 406 a bit

In this sorts of situations, I do 'dry tests' without glue to see if I am able to put the piece back in place and hold it there without moving for about a minute (the time required for the glue to hold).

I would also try to keep the head upright to allow gravity to help you and also use the most minimal amount of glue possible so that it doesn't overflow and cause a 'bump' on the sculpt.

Where might one purchase one of these fine products? In case one is feeling masochistic?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    In this sorts of situations, I do 'dry tests' without glue to see if I am able to put the piece back in place and hold it there without moving for about a minute (the time required for the glue to hold).

I would also try to keep the head upright to allow gravity to help you and also use the most minimal amount of glue possible so that it doesn't overflow and cause a 'bump' on the sculpt.
    I've been going through Loctite 406's tech sheet (http://tds.loctite.com/tds5/docs/406-2012%20NEW-EN.PDF). This stuff sounds quite demonic. I think I should only need half a millimetre or less, applied to the end of a toothpick and just briefly brushed onto the head. At this stage the piece has not broken off yet, and from memory, I do not recall seeing stress marks on the small amount of plastic that's still holding the antenna to the head. If possible, I would prefer to not snap it off and then re-glue the whole piece on. I might also try some dry tests with bits of Lego (life maybe a space antenna or flag staff piece).