View Poll Results: Studio Series 01 Bumblebee - worth buying?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 10.00%
  • Only if (cheap or something else)

5 50.00%
  • No

2 20.00%
  • Not even interested

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Studio Series DLX Bumblebee

Default Toy Review - Studio Series DLX Bumblebee

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)

01 - Bumblebee
    Series - Studio Series
    Sub-line -
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - Significant remould of TF5 second Bumblebee
    Wave - "1"
    Released here - Not here yet (out April 2018 - advance release in US March) (JP version released April 2018)
    Approximate Retail Price - $29-35
    Approximate Size - about 15cm
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - 1970s Camaro sports car
    Main Features/Gimmicks -
    Main Colours - yellow, black, grey
    Main Accessories - gun

So this guy is the first of the SS figures I've opened so far that's a bit of a disappointment - all the ingredients are there for this to be as solid as the rest of the SS line but it just doesn't come together.

The biggest problem is the car windscreen/roof piece that goes on his back - this is on extremely loose and it's nearly impossible to transform without it falling off. Being clear plastic, it makes sense, as this reduces the chance of breakage. But especially when going to car mode, this makes the transformation a lot more fiddly than it needed to be. Solid, firmly tabbing transformations has been the highlight of the SS line for me so far, and this one is a bit of a let-down in that regard. I do like the cool sideways leg transformation and the inclusion of the secondary 'wings' on the back - so many ways to fold a yellow robot into a yellow car! :-P The faux grill on the chest means his torso proportions are much closer to the movie too. I don't mind fakery when it's necessary.

There's a real lack of old-Camaro Bumblebee figures, so he's worth getting for that reason alone - the original 1977 Camaro Bumblebee toy is an absolute POS so this one was always going to win that contest. It's a bit of a hollow victory.

Still, he looks pretty good on the shelf, is reasonably poseable (with a bit of hinderance in the shoulders). The hand cannon swaps out with the forearm, but because the elbow plastic is a little soft it's hit and miss as to which part detaches. The cannon or forearm can store on his back when not in use, but the forearm sitting there looks a bit...weird.

You could pretty safely skip this guy and replace him with one of the 372 other Deluxe Bumblebees we've had spat out at us over the last 10 years, especially if the 1977 Camaro does nothing for you. If they give us a really good updated Barricade, though, he might become a bit more necessary...

I've been tempted by this figure but the issues you've highlighted have put me off.

It uses the same basic design as TLK Bumblebee (wave 3 new mold) so I may just get that instead.
    I'm really just here for the free food and open bar.

I purchased one of these yesterday.

A disappointing experience.

Aside from the roof hinge, the QC is absolutely perfect. The tolerance and fit and finish of literally every other part of the figure I purchased is as good as I've had in hand, in a long time. However, that roof hinge is so misshapen that it won't even withstand gravity.

Colour looks very bright. I think it needs to be custom faded a little

I fixed the roof hinge problem by adding a metal pin. No problems with it now.

Quote Originally Posted by VERT View Post
    I fixed the roof hinge problem by adding a metal pin. No problems with it now.
    How did you insert it?

I dunked mine in boiling water than pressed it back in, that seems to have done it

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    How did you insert it?
    Well one part already has holes. Like they were going to use a pin. Cost cut? So I just drilled a hole into the other half and inserted a pin I made out af a picture hanging nail. Took less than 5 min to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimi194 View Post
    I dunked mine in boiling water than pressed it back in, that seems to have done it
    I poured boiling water from the kettle over the end bit and pressed them in slightly a few times. It stays on now.

Pity the weapon arm keeps popping off. I am interstate for work so will have to clear nail polish it when I get back.