Thread: question about definition of box condition, 9c 8c?

Default question about definition of box condition, 9c 8c?

hi

I would like to hear your opinion on box conditions. I know 9c means good and almost perfect (though nothing is perfect), and what 8c, 7c means then?

Even better, if you could post some pictures of TF boxes and say "this is what my definition of 9c/8c/7c etc"

I am keen to find out the "industry standard" of the TF box condition. I googled, didn't find anything.

Finally, how much do you tolerate a dented/sprinkled TF box?

Several years ago I bought a TF from a Canadian seller. The toy was supposed to be MOSC and it was, until the seller folded it intentionally to fit into a smaller mailbox. Nothing I could do, that guy was a "toy seller" not a "TF seller".
    (~˘▾˘)~

I don't think there is an industry standard. It's very subjective.
    perhaps look up the guides that the grading companies use when grading toys?

personally, I like a nice 'clean' box but it's a preference thing, I nearly always plan to open it.

if I'm buying retail and I have choices for the 1 figure, I'll favour well applied paint over a good condition box but if there are two figures that appear to have good paint and one has a better condition box, I'll take that one every time. box damage indicates impact that may have been passes through to the toy, I like to improve my chances of getting a good toy. if I was a MISB collector I'd probably lose my mind.

i'm a bit shy of damaged boxes because its usually an indictor that the box and therefore the toy have been through some kind of trauma. most of the time I've been lucky enough to have no damage to the internal toy even though a shipped box may have undergone significant damage.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

I agree with UltraMarginal. It's just subjective stuff that people made up.

Quote Originally Posted by langzixinxin View Post
    As long as the toy is in good condition I no longer care about the box as I just chuck them out these days. Just don't have the space to keep the box.

hi

I would like to hear your opinion on box conditions. I know 9c means good and almost perfect (though nothing is perfect), and what 8c, 7c means then?
    BBTS has a guideline on their different "grades" with descriptions, maybe give that a look over:
    https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Help/PackageGrading
    From their grades I'd say "Collector’s Grade" would be C9-8, "Standard Grade" would be C7-6, "Substandard Grade" would be C5-4 and "Damaged Grade" would be everything else.
    I am keen to find out the "industry standard" of the TF box condition. I googled, didn't find anything.
    I'd say if there's an industry standard it's by the AFA. You can find their grading levels here:
    https://cgagrading.com/ToyGrader/grading_scales.aspx
    That should also give you an idea, partner those two lists together and you should have your answers.

Several years ago I bought a TF from a Canadian seller. The toy was supposed to be MOSC and it was, until the seller folded it intentionally to fit into a smaller mailbox
    Depends on if it's cheap or not. If the figure is 50% off because it's in damaged packing and it's something I want to open and play with then yes that's ok, but if I'm paying full price (or aftermarket prices) then I'm very meticulous. Especially if it's an expensive figure like a MP. I like to have things as close to factory condition, even if I intend on opening them.

I certainly wouldnt have tolerated getting that mosc figure you mention, the item should be sent in the condition it was advertised in, if the seller damages any part of it to save a few bucks on postage (without your permission) then they should be liable for sending a new one in the condition originally advertised.

It depends on the item. If it's a high-end figure (MP, good quality 3rd Party) or one that's important to me (i.e. all of my top 3 favourite TFs were bought around the same time/as a personal celebration of some pretty significant positive life events) then I usually store them in their boxes when they're not on display so it's a bit more important, but most of the time I prefer to buy loose and cheaper. If I'm getting a new/resealed 'normal' TF then I open them myself and just keep the card-backs so it's not a big deal.

Default thx

hi,

thx for the input and links. helped me a lot.

I think I know what to do for my store now.