Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should there be or will there be a red chest POTP Swoop?

With POTP Predaking coming this year, Hasbro wouldn't call it Divebomb... unless it was a really really limited exclusive for something like BotCon, so that it wouldn't confuse people who don't know the back story and would wonder why there are two Divebomb toys for sale this year at a retailer, or online store, or HasbroToyShop with different allegiances.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Do you also hate how Takara G1 was mostly identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Powerglide, Warpath, Convoy, the Dinobots, the Insecticons, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, Skids, Ironhide, Ratchet, Smokescreen, Prowl, Streak, Grapple, Inferno, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Alert, Lambor, Sunstreaker, Ligier, Gong, Drag, Outback, Hubcap, Adams, Seaspray, Wheelie, Char, Hot Rodimus, Blurr, Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck Gar, Ultra Magnus, Onslaught, Drag Stripe, Brawl, Razorclaw, Soundwave, Broadcast, Bumble, Meister, Galvatron, Chromedome, Blanker, Highbrow, Mega Zarak, Hardhead, Sureshot, Crosshairs, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Misfire, Wipe, Weirdwolf, Skull etc.)

Do you also hate how a lot of Takara G1 toys that were different characters from their Hasbro counterparts were identical to said Hasbro toys?
    (e.g. Lander, Phoenix, Road King, Lightfoot, Turtler, Gulf, Kraken, Lobclaw, Sizzle, Boater, Fire, Holy, Peepoh, Blood, Gilmer, Dauros etc.)

Do you also hate how almost every Takara G2 toy is identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Megatron, Starscream, Battle Convoy, Hooligan, Aero Raid, Jetfire, Skyjack, Space Case, Strafe, Road Big, Road Rocket, Autovolt, Effectro, Firebot, Hot Row, Convoy, Dreadwing, Smokescreen etc.)

Do you also hate how most Takara Beast Wars toys are identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Convoy, Megatron, Rattle, Terrorsaurer, Waspeetar, Cheetus, Scorpos, White Claw, Armour, Snapper, Howlinger, Buzz Saw, Air Razar, Inferno, Cybershark, Convobat, Megalligator, Tarans, Kuwagaigar, Dinobot, etc.)

Do you also hate how some TF Prime toys were identical to their Hasbro counterparts?
    (e.g. FE Arcee, Starscream etc.)

I need to start hating my G1 Takara Sling (Slingshot) and Groove more, as they are identical to their Hasbro counterparts! *shakes fist* *yells at cloud*
    That's not really fair.
    He, like many of us, are annoyed that the recent trend of improved or alternative colours on Japanese releases of Hasbro toys, looks to be coming to an end.
    Whether it happened before or not, it has been a reliable element for at least 15 years, or about half of Transformers' history, to have that alternative option if the Hasbro versions don't tickle your fancy, or seem a little bland.

For me... on the one hand I like looking forward to the extra detailing or more accurate homage to something pre-existing, and buy the ones that really stand out or are completely new (that Hasbro didn't release)... while on the other hand I have dreaded when whole toylines are worth buying in addition to the Hasbro versions, just because they were so different or looked so good.

(I noticed that two different topics at the same time were talking about if there will be, or should be, a red chested POTP Swoop, so I've grouped them altogether into this new discussion topic)

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Do you also hate how Takara G1 was mostly identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Powerglide, Warpath, Convoy, the Dinobots, the Insecticons, Starscream, Skywarp, Thundercracker, Ramjet, Dirge, Thrust, Skids, Ironhide, Ratchet, Smokescreen, Prowl, Streak, Grapple, Inferno, Trailbreaker, Hoist, Alert, Lambor, Sunstreaker, Ligier, Gong, Drag, Outback, Hubcap, Adams, Seaspray, Wheelie, Char, Hot Rodimus, Blurr, Cyclonus, Scourge, Wreck Gar, Ultra Magnus, Onslaught, Drag Stripe, Brawl, Razorclaw, Soundwave, Broadcast, Bumble, Meister, Galvatron, Chromedome, Blanker, Highbrow, Mega Zarak, Hardhead, Sureshot, Crosshairs, Triggerhappy, Slugslinger, Misfire, Wipe, Weirdwolf, Skull etc.)

Do you also hate how a lot of Takara G1 toys that were different characters from their Hasbro counterparts were identical to said Hasbro toys?
    (e.g. Lander, Phoenix, Road King, Lightfoot, Turtler, Gulf, Kraken, Lobclaw, Sizzle, Boater, Fire, Holy, Peepoh, Blood, Gilmer, Dauros etc.)

Do you also hate how almost every Takara G2 toy is identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Megatron, Starscream, Battle Convoy, Hooligan, Aero Raid, Jetfire, Skyjack, Space Case, Strafe, Road Big, Road Rocket, Autovolt, Effectro, Firebot, Hot Row, Convoy, Dreadwing, Smokescreen etc.)

Do you also hate how most Takara Beast Wars toys are identical to Hasbro's?
    (e.g. Convoy, Megatron, Rattle, Terrorsaurer, Waspeetar, Cheetus, Scorpos, White Claw, Armour, Snapper, Howlinger, Buzz Saw, Air Razar, Inferno, Cybershark, Convobat, Megalligator, Tarans, Kuwagaigar, Dinobot, etc.)

Do you also hate how some TF Prime toys were identical to their Hasbro counterparts?
    (e.g. FE Arcee, Starscream etc.)

I need to start hating my G1 Takara Sling (Slingshot) and Groove more, as they are identical to their Hasbro counterparts! *shakes fist* *yells at cloud*
    Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    That's not really fair.
    He, like many of us, are annoyed that the recent trend of improved or alternative colours on Japanese releases of Hasbro toys, looks to be coming to an end.
    Whether it happened before or not, it has been a reliable element for at least 15 years, or about half of Transformers' history, to have that alternative option if the Hasbro versions don't tickle your fancy, or seem a little bland.

For me... on the one hand I like looking forward to the extra detailing or more accurate homage to something pre-existing, and buy the ones that really stand out or are completely new (that Hasbro didn't release)... while on the other hand I have dreaded when whole toylines are worth buying in addition to the Hasbro versions, just because they were so different or looked so good.
    Yeah what Griff said.

Having never had the G1 Swoop bot, and him being my favourite Dinobot as a kid (rented Desertion of the Dinobots on VHS every few weeks) I am actually really happy he has a blue chest

Hasbro could have released the toy with a red chest called Swoop and a blue chest named Strafe.

Sure there was a CW Strafe but there's also people out there who know the blue flying Dinobot as Strafe.

I personally don't think that we are entitled to having variations between Hasbro and Takara(TOMY). :/ Also, we know that TakaraTOMY have long had their online survey, with one of the questions asking consumers what they like about the toy, so perhaps this change has been done in response to what respondents have said. I know a few Japanese fans who prefer the Hasbro versions of some toys because they favour toy-accuracy over show-likeness. I got my LG Nightbird by doing a swap at a fan meet in Japan for a TR Hardhead. This fan had passed up on the locally available LG Hardhead in favour of getting a TR Hardhead from me. And I saw loose Combiner Wars figures in Tokyo selling at pretty steep prices!

It may also be indicative that Hasbro just doing such a good job with a lot of toys recently that there's not much for TakaraTOMY to improve on. Take Beachcomber for example. There's not a whole lot more that they could do to make this toy look better than it already does. And a show-like blue chested Swoop is exactly what TakaraTOMY would've done anyway, because they typically favour show-likeness over toy-accuracy. I personally would've preferred that Hasbro gave us a toy-accurate red-chest Swoop and let TakaraTOMY produce a show-like blue-chested Swoop. Then Japanese fans could complain about how TakaraTOMY have failed them yet again on toy-accuracy.

prjkt: it wasn't just the toy, Swoop was also red chest in the comics, story books etc. - basically every G1 medium aside from the cartoon. But I suppose the cartoon is the most popular format which is what they're obviously catering for.

You don't get it Gok. Not everyone likes having toy accurate colours like you do. Not everyone thinks Transformers are over priced like you do. Not everyone thinks the quality of the Hasbro releases are acceptable like you do.

To have the choice of a premium quality, G1 cartoon accurate, non-third party toy taken away is not good for anyone.

Up until now thanks to the internet I've been able to choose to buy that premium figure, now I don't have a choice. And before you say something like "well the Japanese didn't have that choice..." they have the internet in Japan, there is nothing stopping them from hopping on BBTS and buying Hasbro product just like I hop on HLJ and buy Japanese product.

Choice is better in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    To have the choice of a premium quality, G1 cartoon accurate, non-third party toy taken away is not good for anyone.

(snip)

Choice is better in the end.
    Sure. I understand that it's preferable but I personally don't think that it's a due entitlement. Seeing the lack of variation just makes me think, oh, okay. Maybe a missed opportunity but I'm not going to get upset over it. It may be unfortunate but not upsetting. And that's how I feel about blue chested Swoop.

The Gen1 cartoon has so much to answer for... we wouldn't have the whole Rumble/Frenzy debate if it wasn't for the cartoon not matching the toys.
    A cartoon fan at Hasbro was probably responsible for Swoop's colours, like we saw with recent Rumble and Frenzy toys swapping colours.