Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anniversary 8 Issue G1 comic pack

It does look good, i'll give it that much

I picked this set up today and was pleasantly surprised to discover the following:
    + Each issue has been reprinted separately, rather than as a single TPB style. Each individual issue also has the original covers displayed, sans the Marvel logo.
    + The covers are made from the same quality as softcover books, which is harder than what's on regular single issue comic books.
    + The print quality in these ones are vastly improved over the originals! It's a most impressive restoration job which has managed to remove the pixelated grain from the original 80s comics and also restored the colours, making them far more vibrant than before! Have a look at this comparison pic -- the one on the left is taken from TFWiki's full resolution scan, whereas the one on the right was just taken with my phone camera (it does look substantially better IRL), but even with my crummy phone pic, you can see the significant improvement made with their restoration job!
    Original--><--reprint

Highly recommended!

They didn't restore anything and don't deserve that credit. They are using IDW's "restore" job from their classic TPBs printings. The job is pretty terrible in most cases with the inks over-enhanced losing lots of fine detail, particularly in the Springer issues, shades/variety of colour lost, and half assed attempts to "correct" the original colouring. Each issue looks inferior to the top quality reproduction in the Titan reprints. Even in your example Grimlock's left eye has disappeared.

Hhhmm... they still look better to me than IDW's reprints. Perhaps it's the difference in print quality rather than restoration? I do agree that Titan's reprints are definitely the best.

I picked this up today (as well as a retro TMNT Donatello for my brother ) and the art on the box is really nice. Have to hold it away until my birthday, but it's in one week today, so I'll hold out.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

FWIW I've made these quick comparison shots between the original G1, Titan, IDW and Chippy Bird (Hardie Grant Egmont Publishing) versions of a select page from #1. I've just taken them w/ my phone camera earlier this evening, so the picture quality isn't great, but at least the photographic conditions are consistent for all the versions. One interesting thing to note is that Chirpy Bird version features a colour corrected Prowl, whereas all other versions feature the Lucky Draw^a golden Prowl. I'm not aware of any previous publishers having done this, so would I be correct in assuming that the colour correction comes from Chirpy Bird?

Out of this set, #8 is the only one that I've actually read so far (I've only flipped through pages and glanced at the others), so we may uncover some other differences later. Also, the Chirpy Bird version seems to have retained the original aspect ratio from the Marvel comic, whereas the Titan and IDW reprints have a slightly 'letterbox' stretched out style.

I think you have IDW's first reprint of the Marvel comics. The latest version, the black covered ones, have this recolouring. As well as Spider-Man and Circuit Breaker appearances that were cut in their first run. Soundwave's also recoloured in most issues too to be blue instead of purple.

Aaahh, this explains why we're both seeing different things in our IDW reprints!

Default Booktopia 30th Anniversary original series reissue

Haven't seen this anywhere, and if the thread isn't appropriate here sorry! But saw this in my supanova email newsletter and had to click it:

Transformers 30th Reissues
    It's a nice package of the first 8 issues of the Marvel Comics run of the series. Pretty nice little collectable and not that pricey at $27.99
    Twit and insta @lukeabarnett