Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No opt-out of filtered internet

Default No opt-out of filtered internet

Scary stuff, just in time for Halloween. This would place us in the company of those bastions of freedom China and Syria.

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1399635276

Write to your federal MP.
    SofaMan - Occasionally Battling Evil with his Mighty Powers of Indolence

Wow that is very scary. The internet is the last bastion of the raving lunatic, and liberal media. You can say anything you like without someone censoring you according to thier political/corporate agenda.

Whats the bet that they'll put some sort of spy software on this filter system? It will be for our own safety no doubt. To stop bad men from doing naughty things in the names of thier gods. IE the excuse we'll use to control you even more.

It was bound to happen, almost every phone call you make is logged and filtered.

Its not fair, I just want to look at 'mens' sites and file 'share' without worrying about the police popping many caps in my oversized rump.

I wonder how on earth the government think this will pass muster...

And how will all those politicians deal when they can't access all that illegal stuff on their tax payer funded Laptops and PC's?
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's technically impossible and it's going to be an expensive embarrassing mess.

it's not technically impossible... like what Sofaman said.. look at China.

have you tried to carry a cisco router into china recently? it's virtually impossible to get it into the country with all those encryptions

EDIT: I know the 2nd sentence doesn't relates to filtered internet. But if China can implement something like this on that scale, there's no stopping our Government.

By that point, aussies might as well be ruled like a communist country.
    Last edited by Saintly; 17th October 2008 at 04:46 PM.

MV75 is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by jaydisc View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about this. It's technically impossible and it's going to be an expensive embarrassing mess.
    No it's not, it's very possible and that's what sucks, well, the thing that will suck will be dialup speeds on adsl2+ and being taxed for it.
    Code:
    O o 
      _
     / --------------------------------
    |      IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR!!!
     \_--------------------------------

children shouldnt be on the net unsupervised anyways

would using a proxy from another country (US,UK etc) defeat the filterings if it gets put in place?

If this inane plan goes ahead and is actually implemented I will start making plans to permanently leave this country as quickly as possible.

This won't actually get up. Bob Carr suggested something similar in the 1990s and it just never happened. Sure, it's technically possible, but it'll be pointless. So they block a site on [say] how to build your own atomic bomb. The thing would just get mirrored. ASCII text is replaced by a GIF of the same text, so the 3 guys scouring the net for "bad" content will take months if not years to find it.

This is as much pie in the sky as the RIAA's attempts at stopping illegal downloading. Site will move and content will get around the system. And the idiots dumb enough to handle Plutonium in their backyard shed will develop acute radiation poisioning either way

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister