Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 21217181920212223242526273242 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

A little to the left... a little bit more...

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Robzy: I don't know about other states, but in NSW fictitious imitation firearms like Han Solo's blaster require a permit and safe storage compliance like Megatron. While Solo's blaster is based off a real gun, other fictitious guns which aren't but look realistic enough are also restricted.
    One of the benefits of living in SA is not having any of this apply to you at all. It's pretty crazy, but I guess it's better to be safe than sorry. I wonder - would my Ghostbusters' neutrona wand be classified as a replica gun in NSW too? Fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by bakakun View Post
    Boy, all this work for a toy...
    It's a one time hassle. Beats having your toy being confiscated and incinerated by Customs.

Thanks for that Griff. I'm just going to fill out the online version but it requires something for the "License Number or other Lawful Authority" section. Do you know if there is a particular exemption that toy/replica guns fall under?
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    It's a one time hassle. Beats having your toy being confiscated and incinerated by Customs.
    Although I can see this being why people might not bother getting the permit, they can pay 2-300 dollars but no legal ramifications if caught unless shifting large numbers, and try again later when the heat settles down (like how I got mortal kombat 9 before r-18+ became legal, just waited 2 months, but being a video game it wasn't such an easy thing to spot).

Well, unless Griffin has some surprise news (and somehow megatron 2.0 doesn't count as a replica firearm as per other post) I'll have to track down a safe referee, I don't have a regular doctor, and seems asking one of my old school teachers may be a problem due to sheer distance (that and seems silly just to ask for a signature just for a toy gun after all these years :S), though I must ask...

Could I just walk into a cop shop and ask someone them to background check me and then give me the go ahead or is the form's requirement of "known you by least 12 months" that strict, the hardest part of this process is just getting someone to vouch for me since I'm a social recluse, I use a fair few institutions but I just don't know anyone that really counts :S

Finding the storage may be the simplest part (just gonna get like a small safe and stuff him in the corner of my wardrobe, one day I plan for a large display cabinet with locks and all but not quite in my budget now LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Although I can see this being why people might not bother getting the permit, they can pay 2-300 dollars but no legal ramifications if caught unless shifting large numbers, and try again later when the heat settles down
    Has it been confirmed that the application fee in VIC isn't exempted like it is in NSW?

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Thanks for that Griff. I'm just going to fill out the online version but it requires something for the "License Number or other Lawful Authority" section. Do you know if there is a particular exemption that toy/replica guns fall under?
    I think that relates to if you already have a real handgun license, or some sort of existing special exemption. It shouldn't apply for most of us here who are just toy collectors wanting to import a single Megatron toy.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    The form I used to apply for the (free) import permit... from the Queensland Police. All very simple really.
    Even though Megatron is an imitation/replica of a Category H firearm, the B709A option includes all replicas.

Thanks a lot Griffin. Finally got news from PC. As live in QLD. It is really good for me that just waiting for pre order up.

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    Although I can see this being why people might not bother getting the permit, they can pay 2-300 dollars but no legal ramifications if caught unless shifting large numbers, and try again later when the heat settles down (like how I got mortal kombat 9 before r-18+ became legal, just waited 2 months, but being a video game it wasn't such an easy thing to spot).

Well, unless Griffin has some surprise news (and somehow megatron 2.0 doesn't count as a replica firearm as per other post) I'll have to track down a safe referee, I don't have a regular doctor, and seems asking one of my old school teachers may be a problem due to sheer distance (that and seems silly just to ask for a signature just for a toy gun after all these years :S), though I must ask...

Could I just walk into a cop shop and ask someone them to background check me and then give me the go ahead or is the form's requirement of "known you by least 12 months" that strict, the hardest part of this process is just getting someone to vouch for me since I'm a social recluse, I use a fair few institutions but I just don't know anyone that really counts :S

Finding the storage may be the simplest part (just gonna get like a small safe and stuff him in the corner of my wardrobe, one day I plan for a large display cabinet with locks and all but not quite in my budget now LOL)
    When I was talking with the Constable from the ACT Firearms registry he did mention that the legislation has changed in ACT/NSW that Megatron is now considered as a toy, and you only need to fill out the B709A form.

Quote Originally Posted by MayzaPrime View Post
    When I was talking with the Constable from the ACT Firearms registry he did mention that the legislation has changed in ACT/NSW that Megatron is now considered as a toy, and you only need to fill out the B709A form.
    that would be helpful to most, too bad B709A for NSW is a full on exercise in itself when compared to the QLD counterpart....

Quote Originally Posted by aching878 View Post
    that would be helpful to most, too bad B709A for NSW is a full on exercise in itself when compared to the QLD counterpart....
    Agreed...