Page 35 of 55 FirstFirst ... 1525303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast

Thread: Comic book thread ON!

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    Hey guys I need some help and this seemed as good-a place as any.

If anyone could bring me up to speed and/or point me in the right direction it would truly be appreciated as this series got me hooked on Japanese adult cartoons as a kid and I've loved the Guyver story and Anime ever since that first OVA way back when.

I'll help you here cos I have read Guyver since it first came out waaaaaay back.

To memory, there was a TV series... then a out-of-continuity movie and then a second series that was just a newer, better looking version of the first. It never covered the story up to the Manga cos the Manga STILL... HASN'T... FINISHED!!!!! The writer did mention that there was a higher chance of him dying before Guyver ended... -_-;

Anyway, Kronos takes over the world... Guyver 3, Agito, starts a Gorilla Resistance to retake the planet. However, heaps of people have gone through the Zoanoid conversion. So, basically, its 'what if the Secret Invasion succeeded'.
    Sho has gone missing so Tetsuro and Mizuki are trying to stay hidden cos they are targeted by Kronos. Sho finally returns from being disintegrated thanx to the Control Metal and merges the Control Metal with a 'Creator' ship, creating the Guyver Gigantic which both Agito and Sho can use but its only one unit.
    Agito has greater willpower and so 'steals' the Gigantic from Sho when both need to summon its power.
    Within Kronos, three of the Zoalords rebel against Archanfel and kill two of the members loyal to him and then blame the Guyvers for that action.
    They then battle try to capture Guyver 1 when he and an assistant of a professor that helped the Guyvers before the invasion try to save Aptom who had become a 'kinda' ally to them. It is here that we find out that Sho has been pretending to lose control of the Gigantic armour to Agito so as to give the view that he is still as weak as he was before the whole Kronos invasion. He has also become a bit of a tactician, pretending to be defeated, then transforms into Guyver and then Gigantic to kill a whole heap of Zoanoids.
    Now, its an invasion of the Kronos empire by the Guyvers and it kinda enters limbo there... very irritating. Its like one volume of manga a year and a bit on average at the moment.
    Hope that helped.

Quote Originally Posted by gekisou View Post
    I'll help you here cos I have read Guyver since it first came out waaaaaay back.

To memory, there was a TV series... then a out-of-continuity movie and then a second series that was just a newer, better looking version of the first. It never covered the story up to the Manga cos the Manga STILL... HASN'T... FINISHED!!!!! The writer did mention that there was a higher chance of him dying before Guyver ended... -_-;

Anyway, Kronos takes over the world... Guyver 3, Agito, starts a Gorilla Resistance to retake the planet. However, heaps of people have gone through the Zoanoid conversion. So, basically, its 'what if the Secret Invasion succeeded'.
    Sho has gone missing so Tetsuro and Mizuki are trying to stay hidden cos they are targeted by Kronos. Sho finally returns from being disintegrated thanx to the Control Metal and merges the Control Metal with a 'Creator' ship, creating the Guyver Gigantic which both Agito and Sho can use but its only one unit.
    Agito has greater willpower and so 'steals' the Gigantic from Sho when both need to summon its power.
    Within Kronos, three of the Zoalords rebel against Archanfel and kill two of the members loyal to him and then blame the Guyvers for that action.
    They then battle try to capture Guyver 1 when he and an assistant of a professor that helped the Guyvers before the invasion try to save Aptom who had become a 'kinda' ally to them. It is here that we find out that Sho has been pretending to lose control of the Gigantic armour to Agito so as to give the view that he is still as weak as he was before the whole Kronos invasion. He has also become a bit of a tactician, pretending to be defeated, then transforms into Guyver and then Gigantic to kill a whole heap of Zoanoids.
    Now, its an invasion of the Kronos empire by the Guyvers and it kinda enters limbo there... very irritating. Its like one volume of manga a year and a bit on average at the moment.
    Hope that helped.
    Cheers Gekisou,
    Thank you for bringing me up to speed with what has transpired since Sho acquired the Gigantic ability and defeating Neo ZX-Tol.

Indeed, there was an OVA produced in '86 called 'Guyver: Out of Control' which didn't follow the Manga particularly well but was followed up in '89 or '90 with a 12 part OVA series which covered only so far as the fall of Kronos Japan.

This series helped to spark a wave of interest in Japanese Anime in the US though, which led to the Live Action Abortions that were the 2 US Guyver movies (Even having Mark Hamil in the 1st?) then everything started to die down a little until DBZ hit the States and a second wave of interest began which lead to the creation of the 2005 Updated 26 episode Guyver Anime series - which ended with Kronos taking over the world, Ogito leading the rag-tag resistance force, Aptom looking over the Segawa siblings and Sho acquiring the Gigantic ability after having raising the Relic Creator Ship out of Mt. Minakami.

I'm glad there is at least 1 other fan of the series here, as I know that it indeed has been running for quite some time - Manga-wise it's been produced since '84 hasn't it?, but this series is so full of Awesome-sauce it's often made me look at Western comics and cartoons and think: 'Man, Japan has Ghost in The Shell and we've got what?... The X-Men '90s series? '.
    At least Transformers was a meeting of both cultures.

Do you know where one might be able to acquire any English translated versions of the Manga?

Sorry man... I read the original Japanese manga so I don't know where to get English Translations. I do know they exist cos I've seen them in passing at my local comic shop so you may want to try yours.

The 2005 anime isn't bad and I quite enjoyed it. And yes, you are right, the first US Guyver movie had Mark Hamill in it. It was bad but I loved the 2nd one cos it was closer to the book and the fight scenes were 200 shades of awesome!!!

A friend of mine in Singapore is an even bigger fan of Guyver than I am, he has ALL the action figures that got released a few years ago.

Sounds like I wasn't actually that much help, you seem pretty updated yourself.

Oh yeah... forgot to mention that the female Guyver in the out-of-continuity movie is now canon... she appeared in Vol. 26 I think... but not much of an explanation as to why she has a Bio Booster unit...

Mark Hamil was in the Guyver movie?!?!

Who'd he play? weeeiiirrrddddd

Sorry man... I read the original Japanese manga so I don't know where to get English Translations. I do know they exist cos I've seen them in passing at my local comic shop so you may want to try yours.

The 2005 anime isn't bad and I quite enjoyed it. And yes, you are right, the first US Guyver movie had Mark Hamill in it. It was bad but I loved the 2nd one cos it was closer to the book and the fight scenes were 200 shades of awesome!!!

A friend of mine in Singapore is an even bigger fan of Guyver than I am, he has ALL the action figures that got released a few years ago.

Sounds like I wasn't actually that much help, you seem pretty updated yourself.

Oh yeah... forgot to mention that the female Guyver in the out-of-continuity movie is now canon... she appeared in Vol. 26 I think... but not much of an explanation as to why she has a Bio Booster unit...
    Not a problem at all Gekisou, a reply is welcome enough but yeah, indeed they do exist but unfortunately it looks like I'll have to travel to Sydney in order to find any as the Illawarra's retail variety is pitiful at best.

I was a little confused when they changed Mizuki's hair colour for the 2005 version, as well as the difference in the pronunciation of their names but I figured that the 2005 version was just trying to follow it's roots a little bit more closely.
    The Mark Hamil film was 'A Dark Hero' yeah? - I know I've seen that one, ages ago , but I can't remember if I've seen the sequel... I'll have to see if I can find it.

Your friend sounds to be quite a fan indeed, especially if he has all the figures as they fetch a considerable price tag. I myself would love to acquire figures of Units 1-3, maybe a Gregole if I can track one down but the price tag of $100AUD is a little disappointing.

Not at all, as I said I'm just glad there is another fan on the boards and you did help with the event post the 2005 Anime.

So they've gone ahead and made her Cannon have they? that's good because she was pretty much the only loose end in regards to continuity if I understand correctly.

I might have to ask if any of the Sydney-siders have come across any in their travels, especially if the series is ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    Mark Hamil was in the Guyver movie?!?!

Who'd he play? weeeiiirrrddddd
    He played the FBI Agent in the first movie who gets mutated into a Zoanoid at the end.

And to Hursticon, The first movie was just called Guyver, its the second one that is called Dark Hero.
    Yes, the 2005 anime is a lot closer to the manga actually though hair colour really only came from the covers as there is no colour in the manga itself. In fact, I think Gigantic isn't that colour accurate in the 2005 version...

The female Guyver was never a continuity issue. They had her replace the original Kronos agent who became Guyver 2 in the movie and really the only reason was so that they could do a nude tentacle rape scene when she becomes the Guyver.

No idea why the writer added her in considering how long ago that movie was...

If you want, I can check out the prices of the manga at my local comic shop but if you do go to Sydney then Kinokuniya is the place you want to be checking out... or King's Comics.

If you want, I can check out the prices of the manga at my local comic shop but if you do go to Sydney then Kinokuniya is the place you want to be checking out... or King's Comics.
    Cheers for the clarification on the movies dude.

If you could get us an idea as to the prices that'd be much appreciated.
    King's Comics I've heard of but not Kinokuniya, so I'll have to get to some sleuthing and maybe give them a call to see if they've any instock , of the translated versions that is.

Just finished up FF #587

Hickman did well with that I believe. Heart breaking

I am absolutley LOVING ASM Big Time

And cant wait for this:

Quote Originally Posted by gantz View Post
    I am absolutley LOVING ASM Big Time
    i know how good is it!! after the last couple of years of the below average stuff its good to be enjoying ASM again

I think I was saying earlier in the thread, I dropped Spidey after OND and BND, so was only reading him in New Avengers and other events.

But yeah, damn, this is what a Spiderman comic should be. And Pete's on top for change, albeit probably not for very long, but I hope they keep up for at least a while.

Not too impressed with the sound of the new villain, Massacre (too Menace-cy) but it does mean we get a new incantation of the Spidey Armour costume, so yay