View Poll Results: How many times can you buy the same toy?!

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I can't! One version of a mold only

2 7.69%
  • 2-3 versions

15 57.69%
  • 4-6 versions

2 7.69%
  • 6-10 versions

2 7.69%
  • Give me all the versions in the world!

5 19.23%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many times can you buy the same toy?!

Default How many times can you buy the same toy?!

I was re-setting up my display shelf after moving home, and this crossed my mind, so i thought it might make an interesting discussion

When i started collecting again, i couldn't justify even a single repaint - why buy a toy i've already got when i could get a new one? I held fast for a while, until i picked up Classics Ramjet to fight alongside my Classics Starscream. As time's gone on, i have become more lax - i have 2 of each Alternity mold as they're my favourite line and i think they display best with car beside robot. I have Henkei Thrust & Dirge now, making 4x of the classic seekers mold. I also have ROTF Leader & his fancier Buster Prime repaint - as it's one of my favourite toys.

I try and avoid doubling up wherever i can, and a few times i've sold on my double after deciding which one i really prefer. I think, as long as the toy is exceptional, i can bring myself to buy a repaint... but afterwards, i still feel some buyers remorse looking at the same toy on my shelf.

So vote in the poll - just how many times could you bring yourself to buy the same toy if variants existed?

And, tell everyone the toy(s) you have the most of and how or why you can justify it.

For me, the most prominent repaints/retools are the Classicsverse Seekers.
    It was inevitable and a hard thing to avoid, picking all these up:
    Starscream, Skywarp, Acidstorm, Ramjet, Thrust & Dirge - as they all represented their own personality and I also wanted them to.round out my Classicsverse Decepticon forces.

The sad thing is I'm still, like many others, hanging on the hope that HasTakTom will release a Generations or Reveal The Shield Thundercracker based on this mold, then I'll be happy.
    Where I myself draw the line with repaints are the pointless repaints of the same character/personality , e.g:

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub...p?id=16655&t=1
    Last edited by griffin; 5th December 2010 at 03:04 AM. Reason: hotlinking of images not allowed

I reckon it depends on the characters. If its a repaint of the same character, I ignore it. But if its the same mold of different characters, if I like it enough, I'll get it. This is especially true with Sideswipe, Red Alert and Sunstreaker as well as Prowl and Bluestreak... I mean Silverstreak... along with the Seekers.

Really, its a matter of taste I reckon.

When it comes to a different character, I will more than likely pick it up. Seekers, Prowl/Smokescreen/Silverstreak, Red Alert/Sideswipe/Sunstreaker are all different characters for me so warrants me to pick each up. For me it is just the same as buying all said figures in G1, a number of repaints there as well. But one good thing that they are doing with the new figures, is at least giving them new heads or something. Unlike Silverbolt/Darkwind, Powerglide/Stormcloud, etc...

I find it unnecessary to own more than one version of a mould at a given time except in 'special' circumstances. That doesn't mean I haven't bought numerous iterations of the same toy, of course - like many people here I've owned a dozen G1 Seeker mould toys over the years, but have since sold all of them except one of my G2 Ramjets. Generally I whittle down my collection to the single version of the mould I like the most with 'special' exceptions, e.g. Lugnuts and Sky Shadows.

Thumbs up Good topic...

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    For me, the most prominent repaints/retools are the Classicsverse Seekers.
    It was inevitable and a hard thing to avoid, picking all these up:
    Starscream, Skywarp, Acidstorm, Ramjet, Thrust & Dirge - as they all represented their own personality and I also wanted them to.round out my Classicsverse Decepticon forces.
    Likewise for me - I have all the Hasbro releases of the Seekers along with all the Henkei releases (if available) and intend on even picking up the Botcon ones (if I can find them at a semi-reasonable price - most unlikely though)

Quote Originally Posted by gekisou View Post
    I reckon it depends on the characters. If its a repaint of the same character, I ignore it. But if its the same mold of different characters, if I like it enough, I'll get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    When it comes to a different character, I will more than likely pick it up. Seekers, Prowl/Smokescreen/Silverstreak, Red Alert/Sideswipe/Sunstreaker are all different characters for me so warrants me to pick each up.

My collecting habits kinda follow this path too - straight repaint of same character? Maybe not, only if I like that character and mold enough. Redeco into another character? Most likely, once again dependent on how much I like that character or mold.

For me, it depends on the characters also. Case in point would be the seekers. I bought Dirge and Thrust not only because I already had Ramjet, but because they are a group-of-sorts unlike some of the other repaints which have no real association with each other.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

All the versions but only for a few selected moulds.

Question Hmm...

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I was wondering, for those that buy the redecos, do you open them all and put them all on display or do you simply display one and leave the rest MISB/MOSC?

I open most of my ones (Seekers, Sideswipe mold, Prowl mold, etc) but leave quite a few sealed (Onslaught/Hardhead, Mirage/Fracture/Drag Strip, Silverbolt/Darkwind/Skyfall, Alternitys)

I guess for me, if I'm a big fan of the mold, I liberate them from their plastic prisons (although for some reason I opened all my Prowl molds despite my dislike for that mold but for some reason I keep my Alternitys sealed even though I love all the redecos of Convoy and Megatron )

ask STL