Page 36 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1626313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun-Formers (imitation weapons) laws and requirements for Australia

Should of just kept it on the down low and it would have all been hunky dory, peaches and cream.
    Now the authorities have a reason to start looking.

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CoRDS View Post
    So has anyone got any idea of requirements for people in the ACT?
    I called up the Firearms registry and spoke to a lovely woman by the name of June - I was advised that the rules had now changed in the ACT to distinguish toys like this from imitation firearms and that as far as she was aware, all that was needed was a B709A, but she suggested emailing them about it - mentioning what the figure was and why I wanted to own it.

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I called up the Firearms registry and spoke to a lovely woman by the name of June - I was advised that the rules had now changed in the ACT to distinguish toys like this from imitation firearms and that as far as she was aware, all that was needed was a B709A, but she suggested emailing them about it - mentioning what the figure was and why I wanted to own it.
    so that form implies that a firearms license is required as well

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    Should of just kept it on the down low and it would have all been hunky dory, peaches and cream.

Haha, preaching to the choir
    www.mariokart64.com
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "Sometimes, the wrong thing feels so right"
    --------------------------------------------------------

IKR FML
    I'm not even going to open mine & they want me to jump through all these hoops like a circus seal for a dinky plastic pistol. Yeah, nah.

It's clearly an imitation of a firearm and would fit in the various prohibited categories in States and Territories where MP05 was also prohibited. I'm working on getting the Megatron Club registered in Victoria to help members from there, but the NSW system is still essentially the same, with some minor form changes.

There is no point arguing about it being a toy, what it looks like, that there are other similar things on the market/Reject Shop/Easter Show, etc. The law is clear on this.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm

Quote Originally Posted by danny-boy View Post
    My first point was wrong as I was told I had to wait for the verdict and that the outlook might not be good. Thankfully it was all good.

My second point is true. I was told the current permit was only valid for MP-05 when I made the silencer comparison to G1 Megatron.

Edit: You have to be part of the Megatron Club no matter which version of Megatron you have or wish to purchase.
    MP-05 was the impetus for the Megatron Club's creation, but we have successfully extended it to other initiations, such as G1 Megatron, and some other replicas (although no guarantees). MP-36 is essentially the same as MP-05 and G1 Megatron in this regard.

While the notes on the Megatron Club website need some updating (web page management isn't my strong suit) we have tried to steer clear of specific wording so that the permit can be adapted to similar imitations.

www.megatron.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by Borgeman View Post
    Pretty sure they have been knocked back in the past, so don't hold your breath.
    Watch this space. It is looking promising. Just waiting on the wheels of bureaucracy to turn.

www.megatron.net.au

Thank you for all of your effort, Tiby. Especially in trying to get The Megaton club registered in Victoria.

Also while you're here, is it legally possible for an Australian store to refuse a refund for a pre-order such as Megatron? I just want to be covered in case I have no other option but to cancel.

If this club can't be recognized in Victoria for an exemption, then I'm going to have I'll need to scrape together roughly $180 for the permit.

I also still need to get around to getting a lockable case for this. Since money's tight right now I might just get a lockable cube instead of tower.

There's still time between now and when stock arrives in Australia late April, but I have to admit I do feel a bit worried as the release date gets closer each day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinnertwin View Post
    There's absolutely no chance that I'm going to risk a heavy fine, possible jail term, and a criminal record, for a toy. I'm jumping through whatever hoop it takes to stay legal.