Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: November IDW Transformers comics - Days of Deception

Default November IDW Transformers comics - Days of Deception

Following on from the Dawn of the Autobots story-arc that finishes in October, the Days of Deception (not Decepticon) begins in November, and this months Previews catalogue gives us some info and comic covers.
    (mirrored here for just the Transformers products)

November will also be the start of the next Drift story by Australian Shane McCarthy, as well as the start of the Transformers Angry Birds comic (shudder)... plus the final issue of the Primacy story.

PROBABLE SPOILERS BELOW... so beware.

Actually, to give a bit of a buffer before the quoted issue details, a related news item.

The start of a new Transformers story-arc by IDW in November managed to get them the cover of this months Previews magazine... so if you are a big fan of Sarah Stone (who did the Windblade comic art), see if your local comic shop has a copy of Previews to sell, or check out her twitter for a clean copy.
    The art shouldn't be anything spoiler-ish if you are keeping up with the released issues of MTMTE and Primacy.

Transformers #35
    (W) John Barber (A/CA) Andrew Griffith
    Days of Deception begins! PROWL and the CONSTRUCTICONS hunt the world's deadliest game-three humans with a history of fighting CYBERTRONIANS! Lines are drawn as human and machine alike are drawn into-the ONYX INTERFACE!

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #35
    (W) James Roberts (A) Alex Milne (CA) Nick Roche
    Days of Deception begins with... PEACE AND HAPPINESS! To be honest, there's not much we can say about this issue without giving away the life-changing events of last issue. What we can say is this: everything's fine. There's no conflict, no sadness, no angst. Why is this a problem?

Transformers: Primacy #4 (of 4)
    (W) Chris Metzen, Flint Dille (A/CA) Livio Ramondelli
    END OF THE ROAD! The final secrets of war for CYBERTRON are revealed! Everything has been leading to this-war has engulfed OPTIMUS PRIME'S world, and MEGATRON stands on the verge of triumph! But can any survive the battle of the titans?!

Drift: Empire of Stone #1
    (W) Shane McCarthy (A/CA) Guido Guidi
    DRIFT RETURNS! Last year, TRANSFORMERS readers were shocked when DRIFT left the AUTOBOTS in disgrace... and now he's alone, on a mission to clean up the darkest depths of the galaxy-until RATCHET shows up to try to bring him home!

Transformers Angry Birds #1
    (W) John Barber (A) Marcelo Ferreira, Livio Ramondelli (CA) Marcelo Ferreira
    You got TRANSFORMERS in my Angry Birds! No, you got Angry Birds in my TRANSFORMERS! ERGH, OOF, MPPHH!!! Hey! Waitaminit! This is actually pretty great! That's right, comic lovers, two of your favorite IDW comics have morphed into one amazing new comic! When the TRANSFORMERS lose their powerful ALLSPARK, it ends up on Piggie Island and the world of Angry Birds turns robotic! Prepare to meet... the AUTOBIRDS and DECEPTIHOGS!

Transformers Robots in Disguise Trade Paperback Volume 6
    (W) John Barber (A) Andrew Griffith, Casey W. Coller (CA) Casey W. Coller
    The AUTOBOTS return to Earth-with OPTIMUS PRIME in command! But what brought them back-and what terrifying secret do the humans hold? Plus, GALVATRON is on Earth as well, with a plan to reshape it as he once did with Cybertron. A bold new era begins here!
    Also out for November (I think) is the Comic store version of this year's BotCon comic... with a LOT better cover than the convention version.
    It still features the convention toys, but drawn in a homage to the 1986 Movie.
    A smaller and duller copy was tweeted by BotCon... but I like the brighter version in the other link.

A small update of the November items, with some comments and sample pages from the Angry Birds comic.

Why are they doing another cross over already? Let MTMTE and RiD get on with their storylines

I'm worried about the Drift mini and where it will fit into the MtMtE timeline.

Don't want to lose Ratchet from the Lost Light for any period of time.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

There's about six months worth of time between the end of Dark Cybertron and Dawn of the Autobots. My guess is it takes place then.

Also angry birds tf doesn't impact any other stories so yeh

Days of Deception doesn't appear to be a crossover, but a banner/theme across the titles, like Dawn of the Autobots. There's been nothing to say the books are crossing over at all, just like the Dawn of the Autobots branded books didn't (despite my comic shop insisting Dawn was a crossover and I had to buy all the books!).

The next actual crossover is the RID/Windblade Combiner Wars crossover.

An interview with Shane McCarthy, on the Drift mini-series, gives some insight into where and when the story is set, and shows some artwork as well.

I was going to link to the TFW news page, but the comments are about 95% negative towards him... with particular attention to his comments about not liking Movie Drift being a racial stereotype (Asian), despite Shane himself designing his Drift with Japanese motifs (samurai character, theme and swords), Japanese writing on the car, and even giving him a name that has a Japanese origin.

Wait and see how it is written before judging it, but it has Guido Guidi doing art, so at the very least the comic will look good.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    An interview with Shane McCarthy, on the Drift mini-series, gives some insight into where and when the story is set, and shows some artwork as well.

I was going to link to the TFW news page, but the comments are about 95% negative towards him... with particular attention to his comments about not liking Movie Drift being a racial stereotype (Asian), despite Shane himself designing his Drift with Japanese motifs (samurai character, theme and swords), Japanese writing on the car, and even giving him a name that has a Japanese origin.

Wait and see how it is written before judging it, but it has Guido Guidi doing art, so at the very least the comic will look good.
    Not to mention the way he has Drift dispatch the insecticons, which is completely how anime/manga does it with the whole "end up on the other side with his sword drawn and his enemy dead". He may not be a japanese stereotype but he created Drift as an anime-stereotype.

I'll be reading it but I don't have high hopes. AHM bored me and the blatant shift from Furman's style really grated my continuity knickers. I'll still read it but I don't expect much; like you said it's Guido's art that I'm wanting it for.

Reading that interview made me want to stab out my eyes with a katana.

What a shame, Drift was becoming an interesting character and I was looking forward to his new story arc

For those who may say 'give it a chance, it might be good' - Well that's like saying the same about Michael Bay TF movies.