Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G-Shock X Transformers Optimus Prime

The robot mode and Pedestool mode (love your work, Megatran) might have been more appealing to me if it was a new character^.

I wonder if designs like this are only poorly received by us but are actually desired in the Asian markets?

^ I get that if they Optimus Prime everything they have the opportunity to milk us for every dollar we have via a white Ultra Magnus variant followed by a black Nemesis Prime variant - just like Pen Prime, Shoe Prime, Popsicle Prime and Hat Prime/Hat Megatron.

変われ! ヘッドマスター! Kaware! Headmaster!
    戦え! ヘッドマスター! Tatakae! Headmaster!

Quote Originally Posted by BruiseLee View Post
    Your puns are timeless
    Whatchoo tockin' 'bout, Willis?

Quote Originally Posted by SuspectimusPrime View Post
    The robot mode and Pedestool mode (love your work, Megatran) might have been more appealing to me if it was a new character^.

I wonder if designs like this are only poorly received by us but are actually desired in the Asian markets?

^ I get that if they Optimus Prime everything they have the opportunity to milk us for every dollar we have via a white Ultra Magnus variant followed by a black Nemesis Prime variant - just like Pen Prime, Shoe Prime, Popsicle Prime and Hat Prime/Hat Megatron.
    Brand recognition and hardcore collectors aren't the target audience.

If you do a cross over with something, you don't do it for something the mainstream audience won't recognise. You do it to feature their big guns otherwise the point of a cross-over is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by FruitBuyer View Post
    Brand recognition and hardcore collectors aren't the target audience.

If you do a cross over with something, you don't do it for something the mainstream audience won't recognise. You do it to feature their big guns otherwise the point of a cross-over is wasted.
    I understand their commercial interests, and it's the most logical choice going with the most recognisable character + the more favoured faction.

I guess I was just surprised by the demand for these figs after seeing the sold out RK pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    Back on topic... looking at the TakaraTomyMall listing through google translate, and it says that there will be a lottery drawing for the $400 toy-n-watch, but doesn't say how many they are making. People can "pre-order" during November 19th (today) to November 22nd (just 3 days), and the drawing will take place on the 30th, with the toys sent out from December 8th.
    The non-watch version is probably not limited, and not exclusive to TTM, but I haven't been able to find it listed yet on JP sites. (maybe the non-watch version is just for Asia, outside of Japan)
    http://thesource.com/2018/11/19/g-sh...optimus-prime/

Going to be an extremely pricy watch once it hits ebay

Quote Originally Posted by tron07 View Post
    That's why you buy it now or never. I'm going with never.
    Or you could try your luck at and see if the price goes down on the secondary market (which does happen)... but it's a gamble. Depends on whether or not you want to watch and see. But I'd be preordering this thing right now if I had FOMO for it. But I don't.

Galvatran Guest

The Transformers x Casio G-SHOCK DW-6900TF-4 is only available in Japan... the watch will be sold via an online lottery through Takara Tomy starting today (November 19) for ¥29,000 JPY ( $260 USD).

I find the watch's price quite reasonable. The base model G-Shock is US$100, while prime is US$140 (via RK), so the cost of the exclusive Prime-paint is only US$20 more.

Unless you'd rather go for this blue/red standard release version without the Autobot ensignia over the time and the word "Transformers" in place of "Casio": https://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock.../dp/B00FMM6RR6

A year later and we get the obligatory Japanese black redeco. It is called Nemesis Prime, and will be available on December 7th by lottery... so it will likely end up being just as rare and expensive as the Optimus version from last year.

• Master Nemesis Optimus Prime is supposed to be a former hero who has fallen into darkness. He was trapped between space and time after the battle that destroyed Cybertron. Once there, a cursed Dark Matrix turned him into an evil warrior. He looks for Master Optimus Prime to regain his ability to manipulate time.
    • A special G-Shock DW-5600TF19-1 in Nemesis Prime/Black Convoy colors. It features a new LCD screen with red backlight with a Decepticon insignia and a 2-color molding band.
    • A transformable watch pedestal: “Nemesis Alter Mode”. This is what transforms into the robot.
    • 2 Energy Cannons.
    • A Dark Matrix.
    • This figure can carry the included Dark Matrix or the G-Shock DW-5600TF19-1 on his chest.
    • You can also attach G-Shock 5600 or 6900 models (sold separately) in robot mode.
    • Release Date: December 7th, 2019.
    • Price: ¥ 30000 + taxes ($274.02 approximately).

It's been two and a half years later, but Casio have some more licensed Transformers watches coming out... this time they look to be in China rather than Japan (which could make them harder to track down), and just the watch on their own this time (last time the watch came with a convertible robot).

There are three different watches, each of a different style and a different colour-scheme to homage a particular iconic character - Optimus, Megatron, Bumblebee.