Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Michael Bay returns for TF5 as director

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    For those who missed the news two weeks ago, Michael Bay has confirmed in a Rolling Stones interview that he is directing Transformers... and has said that there will be some filming in Chicago again.
    For those who will complain and moan about this please vote with your feet and don't attend this movie at the cinemas. The box office return is the main reason why this destroyer of our love continues to get given the signal to play on.
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bladestorm View Post
    My bad - I thought the scene in Central with the Victoria Secret Tram was Chicago because of the overhead traffic lights and ornate sidings...
    What were the towers you can see in the scene behind the Wan Chai "concrete factory" where Optimus fights Lockdown?

Anyways, at least we know Bay can re-use footage from his previous films to cut costs.
    It's possible that some scenes were filmed in Chicago like when they are out by the water in "Hong Kong", but the main battle scene was filmed in Detroit.

If you are referring to the recycled footage in TF3 on the highway (with the Dreads chasing Bumblebee), apparently that was slotted in to replace a scene that was filmed, due to a significant injury to one of the stunt-drivers.

• Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011). An extra was seriously injured during a stunt in Hammond, Indiana. Due to a failed weld, a steel cable snapped from a car being towed and hit the extra's car, damaging her skull. The extra, identified as Gabriela Cedillo, had to undergo brain surgery.[148] The injury has left her permanently brain-damaged, paralyzed on her left side and her left eye stitched shut.[149][150] In May 2012, it was revealed that a $18 million settlement had been reached between Paramount and the Cedillo family.[151] As a result of this accident, recycled footage from one of Michael Bay's previous movies, The Island, was used instead with CG robots inserted into the footage.[152]

I don't mind the fact that Bay's returning; after all, as an action director, he's up there with the best of them.

I'm more concerned/curious about Akiva Goldsman delivering on the script front, although that writer's room he and Steven Spielberg set up sounded encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    It's possible that some scenes were filmed in Chicago like when they are out by the water in "Hong Kong", but the main battle scene was filmed in Detroit.

If you are referring to the recycled footage in TF3 on the highway (with the Dreads chasing Bumblebee)
    I was thinking of the footage in TF4 with the battle of Chicago re-visited. Although if memory serves they also re-used "moon" footage and some of the computer tracking of Autobot footage from one of the earlier movies in TF4 too...

I remember reading one of the scenes from the original TF movie was also used somewhere else (another movie completely) so I guess it isn't unusual to re-use stuff. Even Disney was guilty of it back in the 60's with Jungle Book, Robin Hood, etc.

At the end of the day I guess Bay has to re-use scenes to help cut costs or meet his time constraints... at least I hope that's the reason behind it.

Yeah, the scenes where Bumblebee, Crosshairs, Wahlberg and Lucky Charms are being chased in a drop-fighter and flying through Chicago just looked way to familiar to the Chicago sequences in DotM. Almost as if they were using unused aerial footage from DotM. I swear the drop-fighters were the same as well.

I give it to Bay that he knows how to make good use of a location. Whenever he was shooting in Hong Kong, he made great use of the vertical shots and captured the unique density of the city. My family are from there so it was cool to see.

But this whole propaganda Chinese Govt buttkissing with lines like "We must call the Central Government for help!" and "The Central Government will defend Hong Kong at all costs!" just made me cringe.

The Chinese military sure didn't seem to do much. (-_-)

Megatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post
    But this whole propaganda Chinese Govt buttkissing with lines like "We must call the Central Government for help!" and "The Central Government will defend Hong Kong at all costs!" just made me cringe.
    We must be 2 peas from a different garden patch. It was reassuring to hear that a superpower defending its territory. In contrast, I'll gladly sacrifce Tassie in order to save the mainland.

I thought that it was a nice and uplifting line too... but then bugger all happened! I know that previous movies have focused too much on the military (hence taking screen time which could've been better spent on the Transformers), but IMO AoE went too far to the opposite extreme. One of the strengths of Michael Bay has been his excellent ability to work with the military and portray them in a relatively realistic light. And it's true that if alien forces are going to attack a human city, humans aren't just going to sit there and take it. The Transformers aren't gods. Modern weaponry is absolutely capable of hurting and even killing them (and AoE does show this with Cemetery Wind assisting Lockdown in hunting down Autobots). It was pretty cool to see how human military forces would respond to threats like an alien invasion.

The People's Republic of China has the world's largest standing army (2,285,000 active military personnel as opposed to the US's 1,361,755). And while their technology might not be on par with the US, their military tech is still quite formidable, with the Chinese Air Force's Chengdu J-10 rated as the 10th best jet fighter in the world. And it wouldn't be beyond reason to see Russians send Sukhois and MiGs to assist their traditional ally (after all we saw Jordanians sending helicopters to reinforce US/UK forces in Egypt).

There was also a notable lack of military action when Lockdown's ship was tethered over Chicago, although the film explains it showing Attinger issuing a directive to back down (still seems lame though). But there doesn't seem to be any in-canon explanation as to why there was a lack of military response by the Chinese in Hong Kong, especially from the Hong Kong Garrison (whose primary purpose is to defend Hong Kong!) And it's not as if the lack of focus on the military gave way to greater story-focus/character development on the Transformers, so it didn't even seem like a worthwhile trade-off.

*slow.clap*

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum View Post

As opposed to all the US flag waving crap from every other US made action film?
    I still function.....................while killing threads. ;-)

As someone who saw AoE in a cinema in Hong Kong twice I can tell you both times those line came up people audibly LAUGHED despite the famous actors involved!

I had kind of hoped to see some Chinese army kicking butt over the skies or on the waters of Hong Kong.
    There is an active Chinese base RIGHT NEXT to the LEGCO building - the one Optimus and Grimlock hold on to for dear life from being sucked into Lockdown's ship.
    It definitely wouldn't have stayed idle during an attack so close to it given how many active soliders are based there.
    And I often have this beauty right outside my lounge window:

It appears the minute a typhoon signal is hoisted with a deck full of smartly dressed sailors saluting as it pulls in to anchor.
    I'd have loved to see some Chinese jets buzzing Hong Kong harbour attacking an imaginary alien foe (although it would have had to be CGI or filmed elsewhere because HK people would FREAK OUT if they saw a tank or plane in their territory which may be why there were never any scenes that followed through.).

I actually liked the military component worked in with the Transformers. I think the first and second movies balanced it well (just too much of Sam & co) and Bay knew how to make the military action feel "real". Seeing a Chinese military force in the same vein would have been quite cool and it would have offered a different perspective on how all countries are different and yet the same (if you get what I mean). Of course I have no idea how hard it would be for Bay to make a movie with real Chinese military involvement happen... nor how a US audience would react to it.
    I guess it shows how many variables Bay has to consider even when making a film about giant robots...