Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: MP38 Supreme Commander Convoy (Optimus Primal).

Default MP38 Supreme Commander Convoy (Optimus Primal).

So there's been a leak this afternoon that the next MP to be announced will be MP38 Supreme Commander Convoy which is another Optimus Primal. No word on any other details ATM.

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...version/37093/

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post
    Why?
    Because Takara have to make more money with the same mould.

Exactly. And by releasing a regular version first many people will double up and buy both.
    Spiderken Away!

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    So there's been a leak this afternoon that the next MP to be announced will be MP38 Supreme Commander Convoy which is another Optimus Primal. No word on any other details ATM.

http://www.seibertron.com/transforme...version/37093/
    Wonder what it'll look like, would be nice if some of it was retooled.

Otherwise I'll pass.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Because Takara have to make more money with the same mould.
    We've still yet to see something done with the mp shockwave mold yet or star saber (and repaint potential for both does exist), wonder if its a sign that the mold isn't actually selling :/

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    We've still yet to see something done with the mp shockwave mold yet or star saber (and repaint potential for both does exist), wonder if its a sign that the mold isn't actually selling :/
    Shockwave has already been reissued, so maybe that was in lieu of a repaint (for the moment).

Just to confirm, this toy is currently being called "Optimus Primal Legendary Supreme Commander Version (コンボイ(ビーストウォーズ)伝説の総司令官Ver.). "Supreme Commander" has always been Optimus Primal's Tech Specs Bio function in Japan (whereas his Kenner/Hasbro function is Maximal General).

P.S.: this toy is slated to come out in late June

Quote Originally Posted by laproblematique View Post
    Why?
    To expand on what DELTAprime said, it's important for HasTak to reuse moulds because that helps to keep the cost of the toy down in general. Optimus Primal is a tricky one because there are no other characters that you can redeco him as, only as variants of the same character (e.g. Burning Convoy etc.). I don't know what this Supreme Commander Version will be like, perhaps it will have a more toy-accurate colour scheme (e.g. black fur instead of grey, flat navy blue helmet instead of metallic royal blue etc.).

These toys may not be everyone's Cube of Energon, but it's important for the toy line so I don't mind them. I don't personally collect these variants, but I can understand why they're important for HasTak. My only concern is whether or not this version will shelfwarm if it's a standard mass release figure, because a lot of TakaraTOMY's other mass release variant figures have shelfwarmed, e.g. Delta Magnus, Road Rage etc. - I know that technically these figures are separate characters, but as far as the toys are concerned they're fundamentally variants. A lot of people have skipped Delta Magnus because they view him as a variant of Ultra Magnus, and a lot of people skipped Road Rage because they saw her as a variant of Tracks. These sort of toys tend to do better if they're limited exclusives, like MP Loud Pedal, Tiger Track etc. - but then TakaraTOMY can't produce as many numbers and thus ultimately not make as much money as a mass release figure. It can be a tough call to see whether or not a toy is worth mass producing in hopes of making enough money from it, or keeping it as a limited release. Mind you, Loud Pedal was already the third version of the base MP Tracks mould, and they definitely made their money back on the MP Lambor mould through Red Alert and G2 Lambor (although G2 Lambor goes for pretty cheap on the secondary market; I got mine just a few months ago for about $50 (LMIB)).
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 10th January 2017 at 09:27 PM.

I'd love it to be Optimal Optimus but given the exact same price point as Primal, I tend to think this definitely means redeco. I tend to think that we will get Burning Convoy. If they were going to try and change the colours to be more toy accurate wouldn't they just make it MP-32+ like they did for Red Alert? (I now it was the other way around in that instance, the + version being more anime).

Could it be a minor remold into Transmetal Primal?