0 0%

0 0%
  • 5 - its so so

2 3.64%

2 3.64%

6 10.91%

18 32.73%

6 10.91%
  • 10 - BUY IT !!! or forever be shamed!!

19 34.55%
Page 1 of 28 1234561121 ... LastLast

Thread: War For Cybertron Game Review

Default War For Cybertron Game Review

for those of us who have the game please rate it!!!

Played the first campaign for both Autobots and Decepticons.

Peter Cullen is still as good as ever. All other VAs kinda suck.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness.

Combat is subpar.

Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun. Hopefully multiplayer is different - but i doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden View Post
    Played the first campaign for both Autobots and Decepticons.

Peter Cullen is still as good as ever. All other VAs kinda suck.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness.

Combat is subpar.

Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun. Hopefully multiplayer is different - but i doubt it.
    So are you saying that its actually a mediocre game despite all the hype?

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    So are you saying that its actually a mediocre game despite all the hype?
    yeah. BUT i've only played the first chapter for both Autobots and Decepticons. so i havent got to parts like Omega Supreme and Trypticon.

but yeah if i were to keep on complaining i'd have to put in spoilers.

Geez, that doesn't sounds all that promising. I was kinda hoping first reviews would be along the lines of 'OMG.. BEST GAME EVA'.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

As a huge fan of the Atari Transformers game, and having closely followed this games progress, I'd be very surprised if WFC isn't the ducks nuts of all Transformers games. Can't freakin' wait.

Dialogue/script sucks. it doesnt have the G1 cartoon cheesey epicness
    Dialogue/script sucks? But you've only played the first chapter. And wasn't it fairly obvious early on in development they weren't going for 'cheesy epicness'?

Quote Originally Posted by Doubledealer View Post
    Dialogue/script sucks? But you've only played the first chapter. And wasn't it fairly obvious early on in development they weren't going for 'cheesy epicness'?
    Yes I've only played 2 chapters - but seriously midway through each chapter, I just wanted to stop playing and turn it off. But I felt I needed to complete them for the sake of it.

I played Iron man 2 from start to finish. And that game is just midless shooting.

in WFC I ran out of ammo really quickly and you can only carry 2 weapons at a time (plus detachable turret). melee was terrible - its one hit and isnt comboable.

the stages are quite linear so being in vehicle mode is only good for going down long paths. the interesting part was optimus primes wheels are actually also thrusters so they turn on their side and he can drive around freely.

And yes the dialogue/script sucks bad and if i've only played the first chapter and think this way - thats justified in itself. Games SHOULD make you want to play more right from the first chapter. this game didnt for me. I actually feel a bit sick thinking about turning on this game and trying to play it again.

I'm gonna go back to playing Mass Effect 2 most likely. I can understand why this game had a RRP of $80 instead of the usual $100+

I actually feel a bit sick thinking about turning on this game and trying to play it again.

Well, I've only just started the game.. but so far I really like what I've seen.. heres a few screenshots from the opening Decepticon campaign level.. just thought I would share (yes I'm excited by this game).. Will post more thoughts as I get more into the game..

I really like the amount of detail in the environment.

Transformer: War for Cybertron (720p on 120" screen)

Last edited by Jetfire; 21st June 2010 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
    Transformer: War for Cybertron (720p on 120" screen)
    120 inch screen???? Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by kaiden
    Basically after playing that much i feel dirty inside and did not have fun.
    YOU LIE!!!!

For the gamers out there the gunplay is similar to Gears Of War minus the cover system. It's just about as speedy although battles tend to be battle of attritions rather than tactics. The first chapter certainly isn't the most exciting way to open the game. With your alt mode rarely used since its all corridors with so many turns that the alt modes are nothing much but alternative weapons. Get to chapter 2 though and you get to take control of the classic seekers. Where the game areas are large with enough room to fly around. Don't expect dog style fighting. It's much much slower keeping the focus of gunplay similar to on ground as bots. But it just shows how the alt modes can provide a nice gameplay element so non-existant in the first level. Plus I couldn't resist playing as Skywarp.

The game actually has 3player co-op for the main campaign and each level have 3 main characters for the mission. So far the two chapters I've played are all set characters. Not sure if this will open up later for your own choosing. Each of the characters available have their own set of skills and abilities. The seekers for instance has Starscream as a very offensive gunner, with Skywarp being a scout with a cloaking field and Thundercracker able to to do some limited healing and spot cloaked enemies. I think the main campaign will be a lot more fun if played with friends in co-op mode. Otherwise standard 3rd person shooter fare made enjoyable by the use of the Transformers franchise.

The graphics so far have been great. Merging a lot of G1 and movie elements. Mainly G1 for the character designs and movie designs for the art direction of the environments and a lot of the sound effects. The art direction is very dark. They have given us a very mechanical gothic look for the environments which look fantastic. The audio side is decent. While the music is forgettable, the sound effects are great, triggering a lot of recognizable movie sound effects. The voices on the whole is not too bad. Peter Cullen shines as Prime but everyone else have new actors. Megatron sounds ok and whoever voiced Starscream did a decent job. Jetfire's Australian (I think it was Aussie anyway) accent was a nice surprise.

I've only played 2 levels and the levels themselves can get repetetive with some repeated corridors and structures but there are some great set pieces. In particular jumping thru space debris while aerialbots hail down fire or the fantastic set piece of a gunship involving dog fighting and destruction of. There's still 10 levels to go with the first 6 chapters compromising of the Decepticon campaign and the last six the Autobot campaign. Youc an jump straight to the autobot campaign but they are in chronological order and Autobot missions were designed to be played after the Decepticon missions.

I haven't tried multiplayer yet and also just 2 chapters in of the 12 shown. So this is just first impressions. The game is certainly miles better than the movie games but don't expect anything that will blow your socks off. But as a Transformer fan this is worth it. I'm not really versed into the canon and mythology with TF (I'm more of a toy engineering fan ) but it appears to be before everything in G1. Eg. First chapter has Megatron meeting Starscream for the very first time along with Jetfire's presence with the seekers. In this regard the franchise will give the game an X factor for us fans. It won't excuse a bad game but this certainly isn't/ Far from it. It's still very enjoyable and I'm sure moreso in 3p co-op of the campaign.

I might post more the further I get in. Still waiting to see who else turns up. The extras section of the menu promises to unlock Slipstream and Arcee. So looking forward to that.

PS.
    Jetfire:

I see you selected Barricade in the first chapter. I did too. Although Brawl was certainyl tempting to play as.