Page 110 of 194 FirstFirst ... 90100105106107108109110111112113114115120130 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 1940

Thread: The Random Transformers Thoughts Thread

FatalityPitt Guest

Been looking at and fiddling with some pre-Combiner Wars Generations Transformers lately, like Thrust/Dirge, Blurr (the one that has the same body as Drift), Warpath (the deluxe class one), Red Alert, etc. Some of these moulds are still really good, and I even daresay they're better than some CW/TR/PotP toys (but to be fair, they must accomodate the combiner/headmaster gimmicks). Some of the pre-CW Generations figures have some really nice gimmicks like weapon storage, light-piping, etc. I sometimes wonder if they'll ever re-issue some of these figures in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    I sometimes wonder if they'll ever re-issue some of these figures in the future.
    TR Cosmos and PotP Skrapnel are essentially reissues of the Generations/Thrilling 30 versions (just minus the mini cons that the T30's had) so I'd say it's at least possible if there's enough demand for a character that they may get a reissue

This is why many TR/POTP figures based on characters that were already done before in CHUG don't hold much appeal to me. Like POTP Windcharger. IMO RtS Windcharger is just a damn excellent figure. No, not as slavishly G1 accurate in appearance, but I don't need it to be. If I want to play with a super G1 accurate Windcharger toy, then I'll go play with my G1 Windcharger toy. I'd rather CHUG focus more on being modern reinterpretations of classic characters rather than being "Poor Man's Masterpiece." Look at toys from the very early Classics line like Classics Mirage. That's a brilliant figure. And so are Generations toys like Warpath, Kup etc. No, they're not slavishly G1 accurate, but who cares? They're still really good toys and there's also a cool element of originality and creativity by giving them new imagined designs.

FatalityPitt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    This is why many TR/POTP figures based on characters that were already done before in CHUG don't hold much appeal to me. Like POTP Windcharger. IMO RtS Windcharger is just a damn excellent figure. No, not as slavishly G1 accurate in appearance, but I don't need it to be. If I want to play with a super G1 accurate Windcharger toy, then I'll go play with my G1 Windcharger toy. I'd rather CHUG focus more on being modern reinterpretations of classic characters rather than being "Poor Man's Masterpiece." Look at toys from the very early Classics line like Classics Mirage. That's a brilliant figure. And so are Generations toys like Warpath, Kup etc. No, they're not slavishly G1 accurate, but who cares? They're still really good toys and there's also a cool element of originality and creativity by giving them new imagined designs.
    I think in some cases, it's nice to have multiple versions of the same character. Take Blurr for example, the Pre-CW version and the TR versions are totally different - one's a headmaster that turns into a futuristic vehicle, and the other has a nicer weapon that can be nicely hidden in its semi-realistic vehicle mode. Only thing these figures have in common is the name and colour scheme.

Classics Mirage (who I don't actually have) looks good, but the CW version would make for a nice homage to the G1 cartoon episode "Masquerade" when you account for the combiner gimmick.

But circling back to Blurr and pre-CW Transformers; the engineering on the 2010 Pre-CW figure seems more complex than a lot of CW/TR/PotP figures, and I don't think the mould has been used that often; so I reckon they can still sell and make money from that design.

Another really good figure is the RtS Legends Megatron. That mould design was released in the RtS line and in a couple EZ Collection waves in Japan, but that's all we ever saw of it - unlike the Legion Rippersnapper who we've seen heaps of times (all the Grimlock repaints *shudder*). I can see why they'd want to avoid releasing another Megatron with a gun alt-mode (political correctness reasons), but I think it's a good mould that should still have a lot of mileage left.

I just canceled a bunch of POTP figures from my pending orders at HLJ. No sense in keeping them on preorder since I have the identical Hasbro versions coming from TLTC. HLJ is probably losing a ton of Transformers business to the Hasbro dealers.

Quote Originally Posted by FatalityPitt View Post
    Been looking at and fiddling with some pre-Combiner Wars Generations Transformers lately, like Thrust/Dirge, Blurr (the one that has the same body as Drift), Warpath (the deluxe class one), Red Alert, etc. Some of these moulds are still really good, and I even daresay they're better than some CW/TR/PotP toys (but to be fair, they must accomodate the combiner/headmaster gimmicks). Some of the pre-CW Generations figures have some really nice gimmicks like weapon storage, light-piping, etc. I sometimes wonder if they'll ever re-issue some of these figures in the future.
    I've found a lot of the more recent toys since the start of Combiner wars to have simpler engineering than the earlier Classics style toys. Partially to facilitate the combiner gimmick. But also I think as a reduction of manufacturing/design costs.

That deluxe warpath mould is one of my favourite transformers in the last 10 to 15 years. it's brilliant. I wish they had done all the 'minibots' using a similar design approach for complexity, size and modernisation/appearance.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

To be fair though, some of the new Legends seem pretty great. I really like RtS Windcharger but Thrilling 30 Tailgate didn't do much for me, so I'm glad that there's another option.
    Likewise I can't really argue that the likes of Classics Mirage aren't head and shoulders above a lot of what's currently out there, but also in fairness that new Dreadwind/Darkwing pair looks pretty good, as do the deluxe Terrorcons. So it's nice to know there are still some hits there as well as misses.

I do hope we keep on getting some of the less well-known characters as pre/re-molds/retools though. That's been a really nice feature of the lines lately, and I really hope it doesn't fade out once the current IDW continuity wraps up.

completely agree, the new legends are quite impressive. I guess I really like the complexity/elegance in design opportunities provided by a larger toy.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMarginal View Post
    completely agree, the new legends are quite impressive. I guess I really like the complexity/elegance in design opportunities provided by a larger toy.
    The new legends have been probably my favourite part of collecting. Having minibots and Insecticons and everything in that perfect middle ground between teeny weeny and scout class is so great. Though I didn’t really experience it, Legends used to be really small guys, with super simplistic transformations.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

I didn't realise that Butch from Transformers Dark Of The Moon was now goal keeping for the Melbourne Victory. He obviously isn't working for Simmons any more.