• Yes, I will continue with all TT MPs

4 7.41%
  • Yes, I will continue collecting most/many TT MPs

17 31.48%
  • I might still get the occasional release

20 37.04%
  • I'm seriously having second thoughts about continuing,

7 12.96%
  • I'm out, my wallet can't take anymore.

6 11.11%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Will you still collect MP Transformers with the higher prices?

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    It's easy to forget, but technically and legally, these figures aren't made for Western markets, but the Japanese market..
    No, there is no legal issue. Even if they aren’t made predominantly for Western Markets, they can sell to them as much as they like, hence why companies like BBTS can buy up bulk stock and openly advertise the likes of MP Dirge.

The only issue there has ever been has been are the MP Megs, but that relates more to replica firearm laws.
    Last edited by BigTransformerTrev; 4th July 2018 at 04:52 PM.

As my collection is now Mp only (now that the tt legends line has finished) and a sole focus on G1 animation I will continue to collect regardless of the price unfortunately.

The Only difference being now instead of buying 2 when they go up for pre-order I will only be getting 1 then acquiring the other at a later date as I have done with the recent Mp-29+ release.

Quote Originally Posted by bowspearer View Post
    I would be wondering there whether that's the whole of Takara or just Transformers. I'd also be questioning whether that still applies for the more collector centred lines like Alternity, Binartech and Masterpiece.
    When I said toys I was referring to the Transformers lines in particular. Sorry for any confusion.

Unfortunately companies don't like to announce breakdowns of particular lines and their sales anymore as they see it as a competitive advantage so the chances of us finding out detailed information about sales to kids vs collectors for both Hasbro and Takara around the same time is unlikely.

I voted most/many still buying as for me it is on a per character basis, not necessarily price. I don't buy every single release just-because. Honestly I was probably never going to buy any BW MP figures as I don't have the nostalgia drive for them, price or not. I may be more tempted over time if there are less G1 new releases though.

Galvatran Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Bread and water mate lol
    Bread & water don't have the same gift that keeps on giving as bake beans on toast.

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    2-minute noodles with frozen peas & corn put in
    Oh, the uni days. Such fond memories of malnutrition.

TBH I didn't get that many of them in the first place, and - especially recently - most of the ones I did get were the repaints/remolds. So, I'll probably just wait for bargains a bit more and maybe skip some that I might otherwise have got on a whim, but if it was one that I really wanted (Blaster, Cyclonus, Insecticons, etc.) then I'll still try and pick 'em up.

I've been mostly collecting G1 Characters.
    the + versions I haven't considered worth the trouble.

I have picked up a couple of repaints, Exhaust and Road Rage.
    I expect to get a red Sunstreaker when they release it, for the significance of the toy.

I have been getting the original release beast wars figures so far, none of them have been opened yet. I've never collected Beastwars otherwise, and my intention was that I would have a simple Masterpiece Beastwars collection, possibly even stopping at the original cast. I'm going to consider this purchase, MP megatron, perhaps I'll wait for a reissue (which may not happen if it doesn't sell well.

I'll always be prioritising an MP G1 Cast, if the expense gets to the point where I have to pick, I'll drop MP beastwars like a hot potato, the movie MPM line may not be far behind if I end up not loving it.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

bowspearer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    No, there is no legal issue. Even if they aren’t made predominantly for Western Markets, they can sell to them as much as they like, hence why companies like BBTS can buy up bulk stock and openly advertise the likes of MP Dirge.

The only issue there has ever been has been are the MP Megs, but that relates more to replica firearm laws.
    You're comparing apples and oranges here though. Legally, absolutely the likes of BBTS can find a Japanese source and import a tonne of Japanese release figures to sell in Western markets.

That wasn't the legal issue I was referring to.

The legal issue I was referring to is that Takara can't actively market and release figures in Hasbro's operating territory and visa versa.

Ergo for all the importing by online stores that might go on and buck the traditional legal agreements, at the end of the day Takara are legally bound to only produce toys for Japan and some parts of Asia not covered by Hasbro Asia (that said if Hasbro Asia sources Takara figures fro their markets, then technically, they are nothing more than a passive supplier whom Hasbro Asia is drawing on rather than actively marketting in Hasbro Asia's territory). Ergo, technically speaking, the Masterpiece line is a line which Takara develop and market almost exclusively to the Japanese Market and in terms of their own sales figures, that's really all they can look at in terms of their own figures.

Legally speaking that is....

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    When I said toys I was referring to the Transformers lines in particular. Sorry for any confusion.

Unfortunately companies don't like to announce breakdowns of particular lines and their sales anymore as they see it as a competitive advantage so the chances of us finding out detailed information about sales to kids vs collectors for both Hasbro and Takara around the same time is unlikely.
    Indeed, I suspect that the breakdown with the Masterpiece line is much closer to 80% collectors though. The average parent isn't likely to shell out ¥20,000 for an action figure for a 5 year old.

I've been a bit uncertain with the BW MPs so far (they sit unopened on my shelf) and as much as I love the look of BW Megatron that price is a turn off.

I'm pretty much done with Movie MP toys - the Studio Series toys have been satisfying enough and a fraction of the price. I might keep MP Optimus and Bumblebee but can't imagine any new ones will be good enough to want.

G1 Masterpieces though? Yep I'll keep buying the Autobot cars but reissues of Convoy (and others - a more anime accurate Bumblebee seems likely) can stay put.

Being almost exclusively an MP collector I'll remain a completionist. However, I am quite bemused at the Argentinian like inflation in MP pricing which seemed to start with Sunstreaker.

I will continue to collect doubles of G1 MP cartoon releases so I can display one copy. Unfortunately they have been few and far between of late but at least it's not costing me so much.

I am also being more selective in my pre-ordering with the view to picking up some of these on discount through ebay etc. While I had already locked in a pre-order of Dinobot, it will be interesting to see how it sells through given where it has been priced.