Page 117 of 136 FirstFirst ... 97107112113114115116117118119120121122127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1351

Thread: tv shows what u into

Quote Originally Posted by SMHFConvoy View Post
    Just binged on the Netflix's Lost in Space reboot. It's pretty cool, the gender flipped
    Dr. Smith played by Parker Posey is a nice contrast to the origin camp version.

Also I did not know that John Woo directed a very 90s - but filmed in 2003 - looking reboot too.
    Wow, I hadn’t ever heard of the John Woo version...

I only caught the first ep of the new series (so far) and found it an interesting update, if you can accept the extraordinary contrivance of them crash landing on a planet that is virtually the same as Earth (clearly done for budgetary reasons, so somewhat understandable). The robot is a particularly interesting update and there’s some intriguing mysteries set up in the first ep that are going to be interesting to see unfold.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    if you can accept the extraordinary contrivance of them crash landing on a planet that is virtually the same as Earth (clearly done for budgetary reasons, so somewhat understandable).
    True and I like that they still made the attempt to make the landscape alien to a degree: the ends of tree branches are rounded of at the end and the root system is almost like a printed circuit board. I'll refrain from talking about the Robot other than it's bloody-well nigh indestructible like the one in the original series.

Also while they tried to do hard science like the Expanse this is an all ages show.

Looking through Netflix and decide to start on The Musketeers. Pretty decent. It appears to be swashbuckling adventures at first but there are a lot of underlying sub plots involving politics and double crossing.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Thought the new lost in space was a pretty good little bit of family sci-fi, nothing spectacular story wise (think the new Star Trek takes the trophy for that), but an enjoyable watch nonetheless. Liked the female Dr Smith and the robot was pretty cool.
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Just watched the last 2 episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead. Wtf? It ends like this? I want more but there will be no more dammit

Quote Originally Posted by 1AZRAEL1 View Post
    Just watched the last 2 episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead. Wtf? It ends like this? I want more but there will be no more dammit
    Ending on a cliffhanger is Evil Dead tradition. I still wish for more though

Quote Originally Posted by Gutsman Heavy View Post
    Ending on a cliffhanger is Evil Dead tradition. I still wish for more though
    It kinda is ay. But I want more too. And I do like both endings to Army Of Darkness

Just finished Season 7 of Voltron

Wow, what can I say except... Dynotherms connected... Megathrusters are go!!!
    My wife asked me why I carry a gun?, I said "Decepticons"... She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot the toaster. It was a good day.

Just finished watching season 1 of Cloak & Dagger. Interesting heroes I first encountered in the Spider-Man Maximum Carnage event.
    If there's going to be a second season I hope they introduce a certain metal chick called Shriek.

Just watched the first 2 episodes of Cobra Kai. Disappointing. They've turned Daniel and Johnny into caricatures rather than characters, and neither of them seem to have really changed since the 80s. What the?

Daniel LaRusso
    He's really acting like a jerk towards Johnny. Okay, Johnny bullied him when they were kids, but we know that at the end of Karate Kid Johnny handed the trophy to Daniel with a very brief but important exchange of words...
    "You're alright, LaRusso."
    "Thanks a lot!"

This is subtle but super important for both characters as it represents reconciliation. It would be assumed that they would have grown from that point onwards. Johnny effectively apologised and Daniel accepted it. So why would he, over 30 years later, rub that defeat in Johnny's face? Daniel explains it as friendly ribbing, but... they're not friends. It comes off as bullying. Now to Daniel's credit, he does realise that he's crossed a line and offers to repair Johnny's car for free and gives him a free bonsai as a further token gesture of goodwill, and that's cool. But when he learns that it was Johnny who fought with his daughter's boyfriend, he went and confronted Johnny in a really provocative and aggressive manner rather than simply speaking to Johnny as an adult in order to voice some serious concerns. At the end of the day, a kid has made an allegation about Johnny, but rather than getting Johnny's side of the story first, Daniel went and started making accusations and then warning Johnny to stay away from his daughter's friends. Really not cool. And for some reason Daniel is a fairly incompetent parent. Forget Johnny, Daniel needs Supernanny to come along and smack some parenting sense into him!

Johnny Lawrence
    Very disappointing character. Are you telling me that he's allowed ONE sporting defeat to ruin his entire life? Daniel is the Real Bully in the Karate Kid explains well how Johnny was a flawed but otherwise basically decent character. He had made some poor decisions in the past but they were behind him and he was trying to make his life better. And as mentioned before, he even reconciled his differences with Daniel at the end of the film in a gesture of good sportsmanship. I don't necessarily have an issue with Johnny being portrayed as a total loser -- they do show us a scene where Johnny's instructor beat him up for coming 2nd place in the tournament. And that's bad. The original Cobra Kai instructor was both emotionally and physically abusive and it's plausible that it would've had ongoing negative consequences on Johnny as a person. The show also explains how Johnny lost his mother and was raised by a difficult stepfather. So yeah, it does explain how and why Johnny's life has gone down the toilet. But it doesn't explain why he's so childish and... basically just a real jerk. Someone who's continually haunted by the memory of losing one Karate match. Really? Damn, how petty can you get? And why is he such a bully to his own student? I thought it was really cool when he stood up to the bullies that were beating the kid up. It was reminiscent of the scene where Mr Miyagi beat up Johnny and his mates to protect Daniel (only that Daniel provoked that incident whereas here the kid was completely innocent). I don't get it. And the casual racism? Huh? I don't recall seeing any of that from the original movie.

Anyway, apparently I need to sign on for YouTube Premium to watch Episode 3, but I'm unconvinced after the first 2 eps where the main characters are pretty one dimensional. It feels like the show just wants to continue the grudge match between Daniel and Johnny despite the 35-odd year gap and by totally ignoring that important end dialogue between the characters in the movie. I get that they want to make Johnny vulnerable and at a low point - hopefully because they want to develop him as a protagonist and not just make him a cartoonish villain.

Johnny's journey sorta reminds me of Mr Miyagi's. Mr Miyagi was in a bad place when he met Daniel. Miyagi was an alcoholic and haunted by the memory of his wife dying in childbirth. It was through mentoring Daniel that Miyagi himself completed his own journey of redemption. I hope that this is what they have planned for Johnny's character by becoming an instructor a the new Cobra Kai. But I dunno... while Miyagi had his issues, he wasn't a butthole. Jackie Chan's character in the 2010 Karate Kid remake had even deeper issues, being responsible for his family's death after he crashed the family car. Chan's character suffered not only from survivor's guilt, but also knowing that it was his reckless actions behind the wheel that caused it. And it was through his mentoring of Jaden Smith's character that Chan's character was able to find redemption and self-forgiveness. But again, Chan wasn't a butthole. He wasn't a petty bully holding onto some childish 30+ year old grudge.

Buuuuuuut neither Miyagi nor Chan's character seemed to have traumatic childhoods. In fact, both Miyagi and Chan's character learnt their martial arts from their fathers - so it seems that they had good family relationships. The traumatic events in Miyagi's and Chan's lives happened during their adulthood, which was still horrible, but not the same as childhood trauma. The original Cobra Kai instructor brainwashed his students - effectively grooming them. Not in a sexual manner, but still holding grossly abusive power and control over the kids in his Dojo. We see Johnny repeating some of these traits as an instructor, which is tragic to see... but in Cobra-Kai it just comes across as being comical rather than scary. Johnny comes across as a middle-aged schoolyard bully rather than the menacing presence that his Sensei had.

I dunno... the series has the potential to be good, and I hope that it does improve in future eps but I can't be bothered downloading a new version of YouTube just to watch if. I might go and read some episode synopses since I don't care about spoilers for this series at this stage.