Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Third movie excitement?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Given how the 1st movie was a success, Bay probably got over confident and went too much his own way in the 2nd one. Hopefully he learnt something from the reactions to the 2nd one, and the 3rd won't be as bad.
    Considering that the second movie was a bigger success than the first, if the 3rd one is 'as bad', the people invested in it (Paramount, Hasbro, Bay) will be more than happy with that same winning formual. Box office takings is all that matter to those people, which also determines the future direction of the franchise.

Even if Michael Bay felt there were things wrong with the movie, he (and the other interested parties) won't risk messing with what worked in drawing in the record crowds.
    It's just a necessary evil that we end up benefiting from, due to the greater funding now allocated to the toyline, giving us a greater range of toys and a better chance of finding figures that interest us.

I agree with those that are excitedly and optimistically looking forward to the next chapter, when it starts leaking info and teaser trailers. The movies have still been a bit of fun, and entertaining, and I just don't over-estimate my expectations of them.
    After all, I love the 1986 movie, but critics and patrons passed on it at the time - and how would fans have reacted to it if the internet existed back then?

Yup... money talks and BS walks. As griffin said, while TFTM has become a cult classic with fans, it tanked at the box office. The live action movies made truckloads of money with ticket sales -- time will tell if fans will continue to think of it fondly in years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    and how would fans have reacted to it if the internet existed back then?
    George Lucas made a similar point when the prequel trilogy came out (especially Phantom Menace) which copped heaps of flak from fans. Lucas said that when Episode IV first came out in 1977 a lot of fans were already complaining about See Threepio whom they criticised as a rather needless robot who just walked around all the time whinging and complaining (or as MAD Magazine called him, a "<camp> robot")... but most people didn't hear about these complaints because the internet didn't exist back then (at least not for public use). Lucas said that the crucial difference between fan reactions towards See Threepio and Jar Jar Binks is that Jar Jar Binks came out at a time where fans had the internet that they could use as a massive soapbox. Sometimes when I talk to younger people who were kids when Episode I came out, they often remember Jar Jar Binks fondly as a fun comedic character. Quite different to those of us who were adults at the time and just found him irritatingly annoying.

But to Lucas' credit he did take fan opinion on board and significantly reduced the role and screen time for Jar Jar Binks in Episodes II and III... so perhaps Michael Bay could take a similar cue and try to alter some of the less popular decisions from the first two movies for the third one?

Yes, I'm an optimist. (cos the realist in me is reminding me that the amount of crude humour was significantly higher in the second movie compared to the first)
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 20th March 2010 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    George Lucas made a similar point when the prequel trilogy came out (especially Phantom Menace)
    I'll be excited about this film if it turns out that it's just a trilogy.

The fourth movie will be "Drift: Origins"

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    The fourth movie will be "Drift: Origins"
    Now I just give up... On TF and life

After RotF and how it's taken over the franchise, I don't think I'll be particularly hyped for TF3. We had different stuff between the first film and RotF, but now it's MovieMovieMovie everywhere.

Also RotF was kind of lame.

Despite this, I'll probably think the teaser trailer is pretty cool.

Default I will NOT go to see the movie, coz:

To be qualified as good move by my standard, the following must be "true":

1, The heads of robots look handsome.
    2, Robots talk more than humans.
    3, No skids anymore.
    4, US army cannot kill transformers.
    5, Combiners' arms and legs can transform too.
    6, No duplicate robots, one long haul combining here, another long haul hanging around there.
    7, All robots must transform in the scene.

I am very confident none of these will be true.

You know the original G1 cartoon fails most of those except the humans talking and the US army thing.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkyMcShark View Post
    You know the original G1 cartoon fails most of those except the humans talking and the US army thing.
    Although G1 the combiner limbs could transform and 99% of the episodes also did not contain any trace of Skids.

And what - you don't think G1 Sunstreaker, Powerglide and Tracks are handsome?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Shadow View Post
    Although G1 the combiner limbs could transform and 99% of the episodes also did not contain any trace of Skids.

And what - you don't think G1 Sunstreaker, Powerglide and Tracks are handsome?
    Oh great so the TF movie will be even more Hollywood and only cast handsome Transfomers. I can see it now all the Autobots will have strong jaw lines and cleft chins, and unwrinkleable forheads. No doubt Prime's exterior chassis will be ripped inn the course of battle exposing his robo abs for all to see. And I don't even want to know what Michael Bay will have planned for the new look Arcee.