Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hasbro's Ethical position: Choice magazine

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    Australian retailers should have some clout even though we are a small backwater market.
    The thing is, that as far as a manufacturer is concerned, Coles Myer (in a market of 20 million) is small fry compared to Wal*Mart (in a market of 300 million). If Wal*Mart wants something from Dodgy Toys, Limited, they'll likely do it. They'll then go to Coles Myer and offer that product. Then hawk it to Woolworths.

Few toys which reach Australian shelves would be commissioned by Australian companies, so most of them would be designed to meet foreign standards anyway (or designed in countries with terrible enforcement like China). In the case of locally conceived stuff, yes, local stores can make a difference. But they'd still be outsourcing manufacturing to another jurisdiction (likely China with it's enforcement issues).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDirtyDigger View Post
    If I may draw an analogy with the sentiment of our favourite Asian-Australian, lesbian politician regarding climate change...it's doesn't matter that we're small and don't make a difference. Everybody needs to act.
    Australian retailers SHOULD be demanding that the manufacturers of their products apply ethical standards when producing anything. Sure we don't account for much of the market but every little bit helps.
    I agree. It's good to see Ms Wong & her sidekick Kevin07 actually being proactive, too. Something far too rare in Australian politics. And I'm glad that some of our retailers do care about this. Just because they have limited power doesn't mean they shouldn't do their part.

Quote Originally Posted by MV75 View Post
    I'm not going to go to where you've completely torn up and thrown away the context, so I'll put it simply, yes they are, they all live in Sudan.
    You're the one who brought Africa up as a rather poor example of a labour market (there are 57 countries & dependencies in Africa, which you lumped into one). There's your context. As to why I brought Sudan & Southern Sudan into it (look it up properly!), well, the fact is that even within African states there are enormous economic differences.

Eagerly waiting for Masterpiece Meister

My favourite African nation is Tunisia... just cos it's Tattooine (stupid geeky reason, I know ). Funnily enough most Africans I meet are from Southern Sudan, Tanzania (I've had the pleasure of meeting John Akhwari on a few occasions) and Kenya... I've never personally met anyone from Tunisia.
    *nerd.snort.laff* BD
    "If there's a bright centre to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from." - Luke Skywalker
    Quote Originally Posted by dirge
    It's good to see Ms Wong & her sidekick Kevin07 actually being proactive, too.
    All hail Chairman Rudd!

I think the point of the Choice article was to inform consumers who can make decisions about what they buy, and thereby try and force some change. Sure, it won't be a big deal if this small market tries to change things, but every little bit helps.

For us, we'll buy TFs no matter how they are made, I guess, but it is still good to know the real cost.
    MP-05 legal acquisition process:

www.megatron.net.au

My collection and stuff for sale:

www.csapo.com.au/ttf/tiby'stransformers.htm