View Poll Results: GEN-15 Leader Armada Megatron - worth buying?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 25.00%
  • Only if...

6 21.43%
  • No

8 28.57%
  • I'm not interested

7 25.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Leader Megatron (Armada)

Default Toy Review - Generations Leader Megatron (Armada)

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)
    Impressions of the group or a combiner as a whole can be posted in the pre-existing group review topic here.

ARMADA MEGATRON
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Leader
    New/remould/redeco - redeco w/new head (released at same time as Silver Megatron)
    Wave - 1
    Released here - Feb/Mar 2015 (here and Asia/America)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$95 (US$45)
    Approximate Size - 25cm
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Tank
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Firing Missile
    Main Colours - Green, purple, silver
    Main Accessories - 2x Combining Guns, Missile

Have the G1 version, and contemplating picking up this one for the a Target sale. I'm just not sure, as I've got no connection to the character (never seen Armada) but it is a solid mould...

I love the original Armada Megatron toy. One of my biggest regrets as a collector was not retrieving it from my mother-in-law's place before my niece detrotyed it So with that in mind I was keen to pick this up. I saw it in person at TRU the other day and was supremely disappointed. Proportionally I t just seems all wrong. Apart from the head and the colours, there is nothing to me that evokes Armada Megs. I'll be skipping it. In fact, I'm now keen to track down Armada Megatron
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Spectacular mold that does make a lot of compromises in its homage to Armada Megs, but still winds up an excellent end product.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    I love the original Armada Megatron toy. One of my biggest regrets as a collector was not retrieving it from my mother-in-law's place before my niece detrotyed it So with that in mind I was keen to pick this up. I saw it in person at TRU the other day and was supremely disappointed. Proportionally I t just seems all wrong. Apart from the head and the colours, there is nothing to me that evokes Armada Megs. I'll be skipping it. In fact, I'm now keen to track down Armada Megatron
    Do it! While an updated Armada Megs would be good this one is the definition of a shoehorned figure. The original one despite flaws looks 1000% better.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Quote Originally Posted by Trent View Post
    The original Armada Megatron looks better and has more fun gimmickry however it is also a blocky, unbalanced and not very poseable figure (which is not uncommon for that era but is the reason I sold it. This Leader figure addresses most of those articulation problems.

Do I wish he didn't have to share proportions with G1 Megs? Yes
    Do I wish he had a detachable cannon that can stick to the hip? Yes
    Do I wish he came with a minicon? Yes
    Do I wish he had the insane screaming Armada Megatron face? Hell Yes

However given the beautiful colours, one of the best tank modes to come out of the factory in a long time (full turret motion, firing cannon AND working treads?!?), plus the fact that you can cheat hip-cannon AND combine with Armada Tidal Wave I am totally sold on this guy.

I have both Megatrons. While the original one has Electronics, functional mini-con ports, the ability to combine with Tidal Wave and an appearance closer to the Armada Cartoon, Combiner Wars Armada Megatron has KNEES!!! CW one wins

(PS having both Megatrons is why I changed my avatar to lil formers armada Megatron)
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

..but ..but the new one doesn't even look like him.
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

I took some Pictures of both Megatrons to compare them. Here are the Pros and Cons:

Armada Megatron

PROS:
    Comes with a Mini con!
    Can combine with Tidal Wave
    Has Electronics
    Mini-con can activate various gimmicks

Cons:
    It doesn't have proper knees
    Poseability with the figure is limited due to the legs
    Gimmicks can get in the way
    "DECEPTICONS, ATTACK!" can be triggered very easily (and is very loud)

Combiner Wars Megatron

PROS:
    HE HAS KNEES!
    His Tank has working treads
    There is a lot more articulation than the Armada figure
    Dead Mini-con ports so
    Lack of gimmicks give him a bit more articulation in the wrists and the legs

CONS:
    Figure only slighty resembles Armada Megatron
    Poseability is more harder due to the front treads being on the back (making him fall other)
    No Leader-1
    Cannon on Right Arm is in the way
    The 2 guns combined into 1 gun is a bit loose

YMMV:
    No Gimmicks or Electronics

EDIT: OK so I forgot to mention about CW Megatron combining with Armada Tidal Wave. Apparently it is possible, but it's very loose and lacks the proper parts to do it. But since it can at least do it (remember that Tidal Wave is over 10 years old), I give the toy a +1 for being able to do that.
    Last edited by Handsprime; 8th March 2015 at 10:25 PM.
    I'll update this when I'm needing help finding particular figures

As someone with a Takara Micron Legends Ultra??? Class Megatron from back in the day I feel like that's the definitive Armada Megatron and this new Megs is just not.
    I have a list of all G1 characters that have been released in CHUG form. You can find it here. Please feel free to let me know if I got anything wrong so I can fix it.