Thread: Toy Review - TFCC Nova Prime

Default Toy Review - TFCC Nova Prime

Series - Timelines
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - new
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Club exclusive
    Approximate Retail Price - US$59 (Club store)
    Approximate Size - 12.7cm up to top of head, 13.5cm up to top of panel behind the head
    Allegiance - Autobot
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian vehicle
    Main Features/Gimmicks - It's Nova Prime?
    Main Colours - White & Black
    Main Accessories - ion blaster, Energon axe

And so we have Nova Prime, like Carzap, it's a new head. Unlike Carzap, the headsculpt is not as solid, feels "softer" and it shows in the lack of fine detail, and paint overspray. Size wise it's a little wider than Orion Pax's, which is why it initially appeared smaller, when in fact it's about the same height.

My version of this figure had a slight issue with one of his pins, causing it to block his right arm from coming around in bot mode, but I managed to fix that (and have a bit of fun at the same time.)

Deco-wise it's a stark difference from Orion Pax, very bright white (not off white) with black parts (upper legs/arms and forearm "wings") giving quite a contrasting look, with some painted yellow highlights and blue "window" (which actually is a closer match to the JP Orion Pax than the Hasbro version).

His gun is a true black, unlike the deep grey of Hasbro's OP, and his battleaxe is now the same blue as his "window."

Comparison pics (I'll have to re-shoot this when Lio Convoy arrives, which knowing my luck will be tomorrow...).

Recommended for someone who wants an official version of the character, but be aware of the potential for a less than perfect headsculpt, and don't pay after-market prices.

This should have been the free figure rather than Lio. If he'd had a bunch of fins coming off the back like the IDW character (or even like TAV Dreadwing who I opened lat night) I might have considered getting him from the club store but without them and considering the cost with postage it's a pass for me.

I only grabbed him as I split the postage between him and a bunch of other club toys I wanted. On his own not really worth the effort

I plan to grab a few of the club comics... So I might get this guy.

Megatran Guest

Nice comparison pics prjkt. Makes me want to get Orion Pax.

Had a quick look at the tech spec. His Strength is 10+, which I'm assuming is off the charts.

If you get the option to get Orion Pax, get the Takara version... much shinier, and comes with the best version of the Megatron ATB mould so far (to the point where my Hasbro one has now been G2-ified by Reprolabels.

On retrospective, this guy actually really works the mould - strong contrasting tones give it a unique look compared to the Optimusy colours of the Orion Pax versions - actually tempted to head-canon those guys as Nova's bodyguards as their head sculpt isn't very Optimus, and being the same body type, can "donate" parts if Nova is damaged in battle.

I'd have preferred wings like the IDW version, though someone somewhere mentioned the wings from one of the Prime Beast Hunters OP moulds apparently works on this mould too... but can't find any pics

Megatran Guest

This mould has really grown on me. Pleased to have picked up the various repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    If you get the option to get Orion Pax, get the Takara version... *snip*
    Taken your advice & pulled the trigger for the Takara 2-pack (though picked up a Hasbro OP previously).