Page 20 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021222324253040 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

Default This Old Body Of Mine...

[QUOTE=snaketales;349342
    I do have the Loose Canon reconstruction of this story and was struck by the similarities between thr two. I suspect there was some sharing? I didn't check the credits closely.[/QUOTE]

Not impossible to assume. Apparently the Restoration Team used the Loose Cannon recon of 'The Tenth Planet' as a base for their own back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Agnew View Post
    Not impossible to assume. Apparently the Restoration Team used the Loose Cannon recon of 'The Tenth Planet' as a base for their own back in 1999.
    Now that's one story I'm hanging out to see on DVD. Wonder if they'll reuse that recon or animate the missing episode a la Reign of Terror and The Invasion.
    I think I'd rather the recon be reused so it could flow into what little footage does exist of episode 4.

retcon = retroactive continuity
    recon = reconnaissance

Default A New Body At Last

Quote Originally Posted by snaketales View Post
    Now that's one story I'm hanging out to see on DVD. Wonder if they'll reuse that recon or animate the missing episode a la Reign of Terror and The Invasion.
    I think I'd rather the recon be reused so it could flow into what little footage does exist of episode 4.
    'The Tenth Planet', along with 'The Ice Warriors' (and possibly 'The Moonbase') are set to be animated and released later this year. The First Doctor's outro will be done by the same company that handled 'The Reign of Terror', while a new company are working on 'The Ice Warriors'.

Though I've heard rumours the original recon (or at least the telesnaps) might see a release in some form, unless I'm misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    retcon = retroactive continuity
    recon = reconnaissance
    Recon can also mean recondition, or reconstruction.
    And probably lots of other things, depending on the context.

Last night's episode was I don't know... It was baaad. Anniversary year and they're not bringing their A-game.

Yep the episode just didn't gel.

snaketales, here is the preview listing for the upcoming DVD of 'The Ice Warriors':

The Ice Warriors
    Release date: 28 Aug 2013 AUS

Starring Patrick Troughton as Doctor Who, Frazer Hines as Jamie, and Deborah Watling as Victoria
    Written by Brian Hayles
    Directed by Derek Martinus

Broadcast: Sat 11 Nov - Sat 16 Dec 1967

In the distant future, Earth faces a new Ice Age. While a dedicated team of scientists battle to hold the approaching glaciers at bay, a startling discovery is made deep within the ice… an alien warrior, frozen for millennia. When the Doctor, Jamie and Victoria arrive they soon discover Earth is under threat from the Ice Warriors – fearsome Martians intent on conquering our planet for themselves…

Special Features: Disc One
    •Commentary - Episodes 1, 4, 5, 6 with actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies and grams operator Pat Heigham, moderated by Toby Hadoke
    •Commentary - Episode 2 made up of original archive recordings or readings of text written by Brian Hayles, Derek Martinus, Martin Baugh, Bernard Bresslaw, Peter Barkworth, Wendy Gifford and Sylvia James
    •Commentary - Episode 3 with Michael Troughton (Patrick Troughton's son)
    •Programme subtitles
    •Subtitle Production Notes

Special Features: Disc Two
    •Cold Fusion (dur. 24’31”) – Cast and crew look back at the making of the story. With actors Frazer Hines, Deborah Watling and Sonny Caldinez, designer Jeremy Davies, and James Bresslaw (son of the late actor Bernard Bresslaw)
    •Beneath the Ice (dur. 10’31”) - A look behind the scenes of the animated Ice Warrior episodes. Producers Chris Chapman and Niel Bushnell, together with animation director Chris Chatterton from Qurios lift the lid on the process used to bring Varga and his Warriors back to life
    •VHS Links (dur. 19’19”) – the introduction to the story and linking material covering the two missing episodes, as used on the VHS release of the story in 1998. Includes the BBC Video “Adjust your tracking control” caption for a true sense of nostalgia!
    •Blue Peter Design-a-Monster (dur. 10’04”) – the competition launch and subsequent winners of the 1967 Design-a-Monster competition, which ran during the transmission of The Ice Warriors
    •Doctor Who Stories – Frazer Hines part two (dur. 13’ 48”) - the second part of this interview with Frazer Hines shot in 2004 for The Story of Doctor Who looks at his later appearances in the series
    •Photo Gallery (dur. 3’53”) - production, design and publicity photos from the story
    •Coming Soon (dur. 1 min approx) - a trailer for a forthcoming DVD release
    •Radio Times Listings in Adobe PDF format
    •Programme subtitles

And for a preview of how they will cover the missing episodes:

There's a rumour going around that they're going to reveal the Doctor's real name. So before that happens (if it happens), let's have fun speculating about what we would like his real name to be, or should be.

I'd like to see it as this.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    There's a rumour going around that they're going to reveal the Doctor's real name...
    And that's the fixed point in time when I stop watching Doctor Who