Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GIJoe AUS Movie and Toy release dates. (spoilers, perhaps)

Zed Im more after the vehicles and the Pit Base. Not the figures. I prefer the 25th line than the movie figures. Still hoping they release a Cobra base for the movie line. Those darn terrordromes are worth a fortune on secondary market.
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

They should reprint the old Marvel comics - they were way better than the toon IMO. I actually have a lot of G.I. Joe (Action Force) comics due to the fact that they were printed in the back of UK Transformers comics!

Here's a question - what does "G.I." stand for? As a kid my friends and I had assumed that it either stood for "General Issue" or "Ground Infantry."

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    They should reprint the old Marvel comics - they were way better than the toon IMO. I actually have a lot of G.I. Joe (Action Force) comics due to the fact that they were printed in the back of UK Transformers comics! "
    They are. IDW re-released volume one in January, and three more are available for order.

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-G-I-Jo..._bxgy_b_text_b

Marvel released these trades (and a fifth volume) several years ago which is when I picked them up. They got up to where the TF UK reprints started which was good.

As Paulbot said they've already started reprinting. I wish they'd hurry up and get to the point where Marvel dropped the ball though. I'd like the whole series in trade format cause there always frun to re-read and my comics are all dogeared. Also there are 2 issues near the end of the run, the only two I've never read.

The original comics are pretty much the sole reason I'm still a GI Joe fan.

I assume G.I. stands for 'General Infantry'...

About damn time. I got those five volumes when they were released thinking it was finally my chance to read the entire series (the back-up strip in the UK TFs comic hooked me in). When they stopped at volume 5, I started buying up the individual issues that followed it, but the last 50 issues are so darn expensive, I'm stuck at about issue 90.
    Pity about the stopping and starting of Devil Due's modern GIJoe comics though. It would gain momentum, and then be restarted, or split off, or something... it just got too confusing to follow. And that was if you could actually accept that 10+ years had passed in their time since the original comic ended, but they ended up looking like they hadn't aged...
    Still a fun comic.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Here's a question - what does "G.I." stand for? As a kid my friends and I had assumed that it either stood for "General Issue" or "Ground Infantry."
    I thought it would have some sort of military meaning, but according to this acronym site, the standard term 'GI' stands for 'Government Issue'.

But the site also claims that the name 'GI Joe' for the Hasbro toyline, stands for 'Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity', but could be retconned acronym for the new movie.
    http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/GI+Joe

I think this article sums up the 'politically' changed meaning of the GI Joe name, from its original US military abbreviation, to an international abbreviation:

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" - an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.
    Ah well, just as long as it doesn't turn out to be nothing more than a big budget version of the 'Streetfighter' movie...

And it must have Cobra Commander as well, somewhere. I can't really see Destro as being the main bad guy, as his character traditionally was just an arms dealer, not global terrorist, or intent on taking over the world. CC was the insane on to keep trying to take over the world, Destro was too intelligent to see how nihilistic the goal of global domination was.

Government issue ei? heh explains why the Joe's uniforms are so blah! bland and anyone who walks into a salvation army store can dress up like one. Unlike the marvelous well thought off uniforms of Cobra! The viper faceless helmets alone is pure evilicious!
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.