Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All Hail Megatron Coda #13 to #16

AHM #14 is good. uneccesary but a good read.

Sunstreakers story is very much un-needed, and in many ways rather stupid, it tries so very hard to try and tell us why Streaker wants all humans dead (especially for those who may have only started reading at AHM) but fails to get any emotion or feeling into the story (but does give us a looksie into a possible return for Streaker)

Galvatron/Dead Universe story was interesting, and pretty good. The fact it has no relation to AHM and is the best story since Maximum Dinobots cannot be just a coincidence. It is the only Coda story thus far released that looks to tie into the ongoing series, yet also tell a decent story in it's own 11 page run.

Art is good for both issues, colours also well done, felt like an Escalation issue more than a CODA.
    Looking For: Wreckers Saga TPB Collection (with Requiem)

The Sunstreaker story was quite disappointing and just rather pointless. IMHO it didn't reveal anything substantial that we really didn't already know. Very meh. I'm also _not_ a fan of Sunstreaker being referred to as "Streaker." (-_-)

The Dead Universe story was a far better read. I like how it went in to further explain the nature of their undeath and how Cyclonus is some kind of anomaly. The origin of the Sweeps was interesting. Galvatron's new insanity streak is interesting, harkening back to his G1 cartoon counterpart, now fused with his more lethal comic persona.

Quote Originally Posted by i_amtrunks View Post

Sunstreakers story is very much un-needed, and in many ways rather stupid, it tries so very hard to try and tell us why Streaker wants all humans dead (especially for those who may have only started reading at AHM) but fails to get any emotion or feeling into the story (but does give us a looksie into a possible return for Streaker)
    Can't a Geewun character just stay dead for once?

I agree with you guys, the Sunstreaker story was rather redundant. By McCarthy standards was rather good given the poor quality of his overall work but it tries so hard to justify Sunstreaker's actions in AHM but still comes short at making it logical and coherent. It really shows how amateurish McCarthy is as a writer.

The Galvatron story was indeed very good and it truly shows that the biggest mistake by IDW so far was giving McCarthy the reins for a 12 issues story. I don't know the writer who did the Galvatron story but it is clear that he did his research on the previous work and the featuring characters in general - picked the best bits and made a short but interesting story that replicates the atmosphere and alure that Furman's previous storyline had while maintaining simplicity and coherence.

This story along with Spotlight Metroplex has given me a bit of hope for the future of this series and IDW would be wise to keep McCarthy's work limited to short character stories - He can write good dialogue and highlight tension between characters as he showed during the 'before Prime's come back' Autobot side of the story in AHM but sucks big time and looses the plot in the overall story.

I like how McCarthy tries to justify his "Sunstreaker hates all humans" plot development in AHM by abridging and altering the scene from Devastation issue 3 and 4 where Hunter suggests they become a headmaster, and implies that Hunter ignored Sunstreaker's pleas and forced him to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane McCarthy
    I read everything that had been put out by IDW and there's no disrespect of what Simon's done coming from me. I grew up reading Simon Furman books and still have those big format TF comics in my back room. There's no way I'm going to spit on anything that man's done
    My arse, mate.
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Zed View Post
    Can't a Geewun character just stay dead for once?
    Can't they all die and be replaced by characters from 1987-1992 for once?

1993 G1.5 characters too. We had Clench/Colossus in Megatron: Origins!

Why it's almost as if AHM was written by a GeeWunner for GeeWunners. (-_-)

So I picked up issue 14. I've read it through. It's really unfortunate.

The Sunstreaker story was... very McCarthy. It's meant to be a tragic retake (rather than really contributing continuity-wise) in Sunstreaker's story. I don't see the point -- he's still alive? Uh, okay.

McCarthy wants the pathos of his characters in pain... it's a theme throughout his TF work, Blurr, Cliffjumper, now this Sunstreaker story. He's just not very good at it.

Then the Galvatron story. Yet another reset-to-G1. How unfortunate. A boring story that was... kinda pointless. It's amazing how little happens in these comics. 11 pages was a *FULL UK ISSUE* back in the day. And they had to have a beginning, middle and an end.

The Galvatron story doesn't even really have any signs of actual story structure. Cyclonus is burning corpses, then Galvatron talks him out of it. That's not a story, that's barely even a vignette.

--Jhiaxus
    (I dunno... I'm sorta coming to the end of my chain with IDW comics.)

Are you the same Jhi that didn't let me make fun of McCarthy on the wiki?
    http://www.tfwiki.net, the Transformers Wiki - Serious intellectual discussion about transforming space robots.

Quote Originally Posted by FFN View Post
    Are you the same Jhi that didn't let me make fun of McCarthy on the wiki?
    I'm sure making fun of Shane McCarthy distracts valuable manpower resources away from making fun of Pat Lee.