Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia


Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > News > Optimus Prime's Movies News

Sightings/Sales

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #191  
Old 21st May 2015, 01:21 PM
drifand drifand is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 20th Jul 2013
Location: Perth
Posts: 7,003
Default

[QUOTE=GoktimusPrime;472364]I can accept butt-ugly bots so long as the story is good. QUOTE]

Here's the thing, if its a good looking bot, means kids will want one. So if there is more effort in making their faces cooler, they will make more money than a toy where people may pass.

Just look at Iron man's hulkbuster. I can't get the image just forgotten whereas some chracters in TF movies are easily not remembered.

The Dinobots were okay, just that the rest are questionable. Probably a handful I could remember, but guess what? I can remember all the humans easily.
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 21st May 2015, 01:53 PM
Smint Smint is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 3rd Feb 2014
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 361
Default

I think what's really lacking for me about the designs and the faces in particular is they all look the same.

There's too much detail, too many lines, too many edges, ridges. Its too busy. And that makes telling the faces apart difficult because there's nothing instantly recognisable.

The other thing is Bay's fast editing makes it even harder to see the face.

And here's my point without being able to recognise the expressions on their faces its that much harder to make a connection with them. They're characterless robots.

I think it was a good idea that Optimus actually has a face. We need to see him talk and convey expression. And it's just as important to see this when the TF's are doing battle. The designs and Bay's fast editing just makes this impossible.

Its why Sam Raimi had Spiderman lose parts of his mask in the Spiderman movies. So you could actually see and feel what the character is feeling.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 21st May 2015, 05:51 PM
Magnus's Avatar
Magnus Magnus is offline
Rank 5 - Dedicated Member
 
Join Date: 19th May 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 675
Default

I agree that the robots are visually 'busy', but I suspect that that was intentional. It showcases the robots' complexity and reminds us that these are large, complex machines, as opposed to the boxy, inflexible G1 designs from Marvel/Sunbow.

In the same vein, the odd, gangly proportions and angular, complex faces reinforce the point that these are alien robots. That's probably why the faces are hard to 'track' in fast action sequences. It's easier following faces in general during longer or 'calmer' shots, and to the filmmakers' credit, action shots are easier to follow in the sequels.

The other thing is that the complex designs mean the character models have a lot of freedom of movement without joints 'cheating' or solid parts stretching or flexing. How many times in G1 or Beast Wars have we seen joints 'float' or solid pieces warp or twist to allow a character to move?
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 21st May 2015, 07:55 PM
Megatran
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smint View Post
The other thing is Bay's fast editing makes it even harder to see the face.
On the other extreme is the slo-mo of the likes of Megan Fox running. And yes its even harder to see the face.
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 21st May 2015, 08:33 PM
Yongeltron's Avatar
Yongeltron Yongeltron is offline
Rank 3 - Basic Member
 
Join Date: 13th Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
I agree that the robots are visually 'busy', but I suspect that that was intentional. It showcases the robots' complexity and reminds us that these are large, complex machines, as opposed to the boxy, inflexible G1 designs from Marvel/Sunbow.

In the same vein, the odd, gangly proportions and angular, complex faces reinforce the point that these are alien robots. That's probably why the faces are hard to 'track' in fast action sequences. It's easier following faces in general during longer or 'calmer' shots, and to the filmmakers' credit, action shots are easier to follow in the sequels.

The other thing is that the complex designs mean the character models have a lot of freedom of movement without joints 'cheating' or solid parts stretching or flexing. How many times in G1 or Beast Wars have we seen joints 'float' or solid pieces warp or twist to allow a character to move?
These are the exact things that I find appealing about the movie bots. I like the complexity and their alien forms. This was particularly drawn into focus for me in AoE when you compare Bee's "classic" face to the faces of Drift, Hound and Crosshairs. They're all basically just humans with faces made out of metal. Bee actually looks like a robot alien.

I don't think the solution is necessarily to just give them human faces like in AoE. As long as you can give them clear and distinctive features without too much visual noise and complexity. I hate to say it, but the Twins are a good example. As awful as it was, you could definitely tell you were looking at faces.

Distinctive colour identification of characters makes a big difference in action shots. It's just a shame that they didn't do with the AOE dinobots what they did with the toys (obviously it would have to be toned-down for the screen).
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 21st May 2015, 09:04 PM
GoktimusPrime's Avatar
GoktimusPrime GoktimusPrime is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 27th Dec 2007
Location: Sydney NSW
Posts: 34,592
Default

The AoE Dinobots actually are coloured like the toys, but they're so toned down that you can barely notice it. But it's there if you look close enough. They're more like... grey with tinges of colour. Or as Sam Witwicky would say:
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:51 AM
BigTransformerTrev's Avatar
BigTransformerTrev BigTransformerTrev is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 2nd Jun 2011
Location: Rylstone
Posts: 7,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatran View Post
On the other extreme is the slo-mo of the likes of Megan Fox running. And yes its even harder to see the face.
Bwah haha! Nice!
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 5th May 2018, 05:38 PM
griffin's Avatar
griffin griffin is offline
Rank 10 - Admin
 
Join Date: 24th May 2007
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 31,682
Default

For the Michael Bay fans out there, tonight on channel seven, the movie "13 Hours" is on, from about 9.30pm.
This was one of just two non-Transformers movies that Michael Bay directed during his 10 year run on Transformers... neither of which raked in huge amounts at the box office.

It's interesting to see that Michael Bay has only ever directed 13 movies, and five of them (almost 40% of his directing experience) were Transformers movies.
His box office average though is still pretty impressive, despite a fairly poor average to his review ratings.
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 5th May 2018, 06:16 PM
M-bot's Avatar
M-bot M-bot is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 29th Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 2,302
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
For the Michael Bay fans out there, tonight on channel seven, the movie "13 Hours" is on, from about 9.30pm.
This was one of just two non-Transformers movies that Michael Bay directed during his 10 year run on Transformers... neither of which raked in huge amounts at the box office.

It's interesting to see that Michael Bay has only ever directed 13 movies, and five of them (almost 40% of his directing experience) were Transformers movies.
His box office average though is still pretty impressive, despite a fairly poor average to his review ratings.
I got through about half of 13 Hours on Netflix a while back... It's not bad, but there are some lazy character and story-telling elements in there that made finishing the film low down on my priority list. Like all Bay films though, it looks spectacular, and there's the usual glorification of the military that can be a bit sickening (especially for non-'Muricans).

Was the other film he made during the TF years "Pain and Gain" (or something like that)? I've read theories about that film that fit into my ideas about Bay as a film maker, especially with regards to his TF work - i.e. that what he's doing might look superficially bad, but his movies are actually cleverly and deliberately perverse.
__________________

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 7th May 2018, 12:41 PM
BigTransformerTrev's Avatar
BigTransformerTrev BigTransformerTrev is offline
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member
 
Join Date: 2nd Jun 2011
Location: Rylstone
Posts: 7,231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post

It's interesting to see that Michael Bay has only ever directed 13 movies, and five of them (almost 40% of his directing experience) were Transformers movies.
I had no idea it was that few! He’d certainly made s big name for himself pre-TF movies with so few under his belt then
__________________
www.bigangrytrev.com
Join the Trevolution!

Follow on FB: BigAngryTrev Twitter: @BigAngryTrev and Tumblr: BigAngryTrev!


Toy Reviews: POTP Punch/Counterpunch

Articles: Metroplex Deck: Transformers TCG, Video of 100+ Generation Cons
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +10. The time now is 06:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.