Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - Generations Combiners & group reviews/comments

I have Thundercracker as the chest, but I have Optimus Prime as the torso so it actually looks okay, since they're the same colours.

Ive got Optimus, alpha bravo and wildrider (break neck) doing nothing since menasor and superion are complete. Waiting for the optimus maximus limbs and for Bruticus to get announced

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    I don't think it's the feet so much as it's the alternate leg transformation which doesn't clip them into the crotch piece. It makes the legs look that little bit longer, taller, and more natural.
    yeah it's a bit of both, but comparing that pic to griffin's those feet just look so skinny and odd. i'm tempted to get them but I don't think they're worth $50!!

At my count (and I've possibly missed a few) there's 79 different Combiner Wars/Unite Warriors announced or released figures to collect to make giant robots out of. That's not counting the Constructicons since they aren't compatible and legends like Bombshell and Thundercracker which can be combined but aren't officially part of gestalts.

That's a lot of milage out of four voyagers molds, nine or ten deluxes and four legends. And a lot of combinations. I can't even start to figure that number out.

And there's at least 17 more figures we should assume are coming (UW Combaticons, G2 Combaticons and G2 Protectobots) let alone another four Technobots.

This is one big line to collect.
    Last edited by Paulbot; 11th July 2015 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Left the club toys out of my count. Adjusted figure to include those

I've finally opened and played with a couple of Combiner Wars figures (Alpha Bravo and Offroad) and I like the two individually, but it hasn't convinced me that I need to own all the teams, even though they have good looking robot modes.

I had a play with the Unite Warriors TakTom release of Superion last night...

I have to say, this is a very unimpressive set. I understand that people are hyped that hey are doing G1 characters and that is indeed a reason to be happy about. However these toys are very simplistic and pretty much what can only be referred to as 'Blown up' scouts and even so, some scouts have better engineering. The cost cutting here is pretty extreme with low parts counts and how all the jets basically have a thick 'midget body' hanging on the bottom like a block making them all look like a weird Skylinx jets. Even the G1 toys of the aerialbots made a greater effort to hide the legs and arms in jet mode.

On the upside, the robot modes do look really good despite limitation when it comes to articulation (cost cutting) and head sculpts are great. Also there is some innovative engineering in how Silverbolt becomes a torso with how the Superion chest comes together - The concept there is clever even by 3P standards.

Unfortunately the combined mode with the ridiculously big hands and little feet makes Superion look a bit awkward. Also articulation is very restricted specially on the thighs and waist so there isn't much posing if you want him to be able to stand on his own. He basically can only stand with his legs straight.

This is certainly the best official combiner Hasbro has done since Armada. However it is a shame that they have used the budget hammer so heavily on it as it could have been better than it is if it had a little more refinement. It is also interesting that this combiner is super simple, much simpler than the Energon ones yet they pull it off much better. It really throws away the 'We don't do combiners because it's too hard' Archer stance from a few years ago.

Anyways, happy I got it since I didn't have a proper Superion (aside from the Crossfire upgraded Energon one) so this works for me. However it still looks very mediocre when compared to a 3P one and frankly, despite the cost increase, 3P combiners are far more satisfying. I didn't feel I got my money's worth with this Unite Warriors Superion set but I do feel I get greater satisfaction and value with a more expensive 3P combiner set like from Maketoys.

Not sure if it comes out in the pics, but my Defensor's posture seems worse than Superion... a bit slumped over when they are compared side-by-side. Anyone else noticed this, or is it just mine?

CW Defensor and Superion by M-bot

But overall, I am so stoked to have a beautiful rendition of my favourite team, the Protectobots. I've pre-ordered the UW version to display in combined mode, while the Hasbro versions will be displayed as individual bots.

And now that I have Slingshot... Sad Alpha Bravo is sad...

CW Defensor and Superion by M-bot

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

Just thought I'd post some pics of how I have my Groove set up...similar to how others have done it, but a slightly more painful transformation for the poor guy!

It all pegs in really nice - Groove's arms have pegs that plug into 5mm ports on Rook nicely. And the hammer holds together very tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I had a play with the Unite Warriors TakTom release of Superion last night...

I have to say, this is a very unimpressive set. I understand that people are hyped that hey are doing G1 characters and that is indeed a reason to be happy about. However these toys are very simplistic and pretty much what can only be referred to as 'Blown up' scouts and even so, some scouts have better engineering. The cost cutting here is pretty extreme with low parts counts and how all the jets basically have a thick 'midget body' hanging on the bottom like a block making them all look like a weird Skylinx jets. Even the G1 toys of the aerialbots made a greater effort to hide the legs and arms in jet mode.

On the upside, the robot modes do look really good despite limitation when it comes to articulation (cost cutting) and head sculpts are great. Also there is some innovative engineering in how Silverbolt becomes a torso with how the Superion chest comes together - The concept there is clever even by 3P standards.

Unfortunately the combined mode with the ridiculously big hands and little feet makes Superion look a bit awkward. Also articulation is very restricted specially on the thighs and waist so there isn't much posing if you want him to be able to stand on his own. He basically can only stand with his legs straight.

This is certainly the best official combiner Hasbro has done since Armada. However it is a shame that they have used the budget hammer so heavily on it as it could have been better than it is if it had a little more refinement. It is also interesting that this combiner is super simple, much simpler than the Energon ones yet they pull it off much better. It really throws away the 'We don't do combiners because it's too hard' Archer stance from a few years ago.

Anyways, happy I got it since I didn't have a proper Superion (aside from the Crossfire upgraded Energon one) so this works for me. However it still looks very mediocre when compared to a 3P one and frankly, despite the cost increase, 3P combiners are far more satisfying. I didn't feel I got my money's worth with this Unite Warriors Superion set but I do feel I get greater satisfaction and value with a more expensive 3P combiner set like from Maketoys.
    Have you considered getting the perfect effect upgrade set ? The new feet are way better and gives them some increased height.

Picked up a Rook this afternoon and all I could was:

1. Love his little Russian hat

2. For a guy who replaces the motorcycle his vehicle mode is incorrectly scaled to the other Protectobots.