View Poll Results: GEN-15 VOY Motormaster - worth buying?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 85.71%
  • Only if...

2 14.29%
  • No

0 0%
  • I'm not interested

0 0%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Toy Review - GEN-15 VOY Motormaster (combiner)

Default Toy Review - GEN-15 VOY Motormaster (combiner)

(Please post comments, photos or even a fully comprehensive review - these are just some brief details to start you off)
    Impressions of the group or a combiner as a whole can be posted here or in the pre-existing group review topic here.

Motormaster
    Series - Generations
    Sub-line - Combiner Wars
    Size/class - Voyager
    New/remould/redeco - Redeco Optimus w/ new head
    Wave - 2
    Released here - not yet (out in Asia & America Feb/Mar 2015)
    Approximate Retail Price - AU$?? (probably about $50) US$25
    Approximate Size - 20cm (robot), 15cm (truck)
    Allegiance - Decepticon
    Alt-mode - Truck Cab
    Main Features/Gimmicks - Combiner core (Menasor)
    Main Colours - grey, black, purple
    Main Accessories - sword

Quick notes for now. More and photos to come.

Starters, his head is a big Improvement over CW OP. Ball jointed so it can look up and down as well as side to side, and seems more in proportion to the rest of his body in comparison to Optimus.

Quite a lot of pieces have been remoulded, obvious both his heads, but also the chest, parts of the cab front, cab rear doors, there's an airfoil now, new codpiece and combiner chest piece. Not quite a Springer/Sandstorm level of remould, but enough that the robot modes are different enough, even if they have the same silhouette.

His hip ratchets are a little smoother than OP's, which were quite stiff, so posing in both robot and combined mode is a fair bit easier. I like the combining sword/gun idea, means that his robot weapon is not too small for Menasor, and Menaor's is not too big for Motormaster.

Summary: While I like CW OP, Motormaster is definitely the better version of the mould.

Here's my review for Motormaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDRO23A3bs

The more I play around with him the more I'm liking him. I think the big bulkiness of the figure suites him perfectly. Can't wait to get the rest of the Stunticons to finish up Menasor!

Here's my review of the final Stunticon in the current wave of TF Combiner Wars figures with Motormaster. Pretty much a retool of the Optimus Prime from Wave 1, but overall not too bad.

Where it all falls over I think, is when combined with the rest of the team into Menasor. Pretty terrible body proportions that kind of ruin the look, especially when compared to Superion.

Transformers Generations Combiner Wars Motormaster - YouTube

Hope you can check out the review, subscribe, like, and comment with your thoughts on the the gestalt

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    Quite a lot of pieces have been remoulded, obvious both his heads, but also the chest, parts of the cab front, cab rear doors, there's an airfoil now, new codpiece and combiner chest piece. Not quite a Springer/Sandstorm level of remould, but enough that the robot modes are different enough, even if they have the same silhouette.
    This was something I didn't realise until Demonac held both next to each other at the Toyfair and pointed out all the panels that were different... a lot more than I was expecting, but maybe a waste of expense if the difference isn't easily noticed like Cyclonus, First Aid or Streetwise.
    They could have done a redeco of Optimus and invested that remoulding into another toy that could use it, like Wildrider from Dead End or Breakdown.

As much as I frown upon 3rd party, I'd love to see a trailer made for this guy. Does it have a hole to attach a trailer to?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    As much as I frown upon 3rd party, I'd love to see a trailer made for this guy. Does it have a hole to attach a trailer to?
    There's one in the middle and one on either side.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Opened him up and has a play with him tonight.

First of all the robot mode is just spectacular . Big, beefy and tough! The head has been done perfectly (I wonder if like Megs we will ever get to see him take his outer helmet off in the comics) and I don't mind at all that the feet are now just regular feet rather than a split truck cab. To my mind it was one of the few drawbacks of the original toy - made it look like his feet were the size of Optimus Prime's whole body .

The truck mode. Well.... its pretty good I guess. But for me, part of the appeal of Motormaster (one of my first 13 ever TF's and my first Scramble City Commander) was that he turned into a truck with a trailer. Plus in the cartoons it made him an even bigger nemesis for any road-going Autobots. As just a cab I find he lacks that certain something the original toy had, the G1 version even had the ramp you could unfold! I know this is how the Botcon version (which I hope to get one day but can probably never afford ) was done but it still disappoints my wistful nostalgia. He's a bit too reminiscent of AOE Galvatron as a gray cab rather than a full truck with black cab and gray trailer.

I haven't combined him with the other Stunticons yet - am hoping to put them all together tomorrow night after we get the kids to bed, but I've done the same transformation with Optimus so don't anticipate any problems.

So overall:
    1: Awesome Robot Mode!
    2: Truck mode REALLY needs a trailer
    3: Good Transformation
    4: Great to have this character done as the Menasor torso again after 29 years

So yeah, I'd recommend you grab him, but I don't think we've seen the definitive Motormaster toy just yet. Probably a helluva long time before we get another one though

It'd be interesting to see a third party (or HasTak, but I doubt they'd see it as a good return on the investment) come up with a trailer for this mould that could attach as limbs for the combiner mode. Could work very well with the Optimus and Grand Scourge versions of the toy, especially if they found a way to work the Energon drones into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zommael View Post
    It'd be interesting to see a third party (or HasTak, but I doubt they'd see it as a good return on the investment) come up with a trailer for this mould that could attach as limbs for the combiner mode. Could work very well with the Optimus and Grand Scourge versions of the toy, especially if they found a way to work the Energon drones into it.
    I always thought they could do a Motorrmaster using the cocept pioneered by the original G1 Ultra Magnus. That is they could have a black cab that turned into a robot then a gray trailer that became armour that fit over the smaller robot. Then people could have the best of both worlds - a black robot (like he appeared in the cartoons) that was in scale with the rest of the Stunticons, or a giant gray robot that looked more like the original toy