Thread: toy Review TFCC Lio Convoy

Default toy Review TFCC Lio Convoy

Series - Timelines
    Sub-line - N/A
    Size/class - Deluxe
    New/remould/redeco - redeco of Gen. Orion Pax with new head (Shared with TFCC Nova Prime)
    Wave - N/A
    Released here - Club exclusive, member incentive figure
    Approximate Retail Price - US$36 (Club store) US$49.90 (Chimungmung, without Bio Card/Instructions)
    Approximate Size - 12.7cm up to top of head, 13.5cm up to top of panel behind the head
    Allegiance - Maximal
    Alt-mode - Cybertronian vehicle
    Main Features/Gimmicks - None
    Main Colours - White, Grey, Red and touches of Gold
    Main Accessories - Ion blaster, Typhoon Staff

Much of what I said in the Nova Prime review applies here, so I'll comment only on the differences. Text review for now, pics to come later.

Comparing the two, there's instantly a noticeable difference, even though both have a fair amount of white on them, in some cases it's inverted - black thighs, white groin for Nova Prime, while Lio Convoy has the opposite, and the red painted sections on the arms and chest, along with the gold highlights on his shoulders further differentiate the two.

The arm "wings" that were black with gold highlights on Nova are now gold with silver highlights, although only on one side, the pieces are moulded in white plastic and the paint doesn't wrap around to the side visible from the front.

The main "flaw" of this figure are the pieces that connects the front of Lio Convoy's alt mode to his legs, and folds up and is hidden in bot mode. This piece on Nova was moulded in white plastic, this time it's painted, and is causing tolerance issues when rotating the front of the alt mode back to form the shin/knee pads. I can see some stress marks on the grey plastic post already. I won't be transforming this guy too often.

Finally the head, while being the same mould as Nova, actually looks quite different. The narrow painted section on the mouth plate, and the smaller silver highlights on the ears/antennae, along with the different colours combine to make him look quite distinct. You have to look quite closely at both to see they're the same head sculpt, even knowing that fact prior.

No QC problems like my Nova Prime had with his shoulders this time around luckily, and apart from the tolerance issue with his outer leg pieces, I'm quite happy to have this guy.

Now, where do I display him?

If you're doing the 13 Primes optibotimus suggested using him as Oynx Prime
    "Save the rebellion! Save the dream!" - Saw Gerrera

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateGalvatron View Post
    If you're doing the 13 Primes optibotimus suggested using him as Oynx Prime
    Looks like i need a 2nd

I just opened mine and since i don't own orion or nova this guy is awesome but i think the head needs to be different

I can't say I'm particularly enthused by the alt-modes colour scheme - it may be close to the original Lio Convoy (of which I readily admit I have limited knowledge) but it just looks a bit washed out and frankly a bit ugly to me.

However after I transformed him I was pleasantly surprised buy how much better he looks in robot mode. The colour scheme works a lot better (not as good as the Rampage we got a year or two ago but still good), its nicely proportioned and the Maximal symbol is placed discreetly but appropriately. Very nice!

I still wish that Nova Prime had been the figure sent out rather than this guy, but overall I am happy enough with this years 'free' () figure. But since it's the 3rd year in a row the subscription service has sent out a BW figure I am hoping that next year they go back to G1 characters

next year's "free" figure is Universe Ramjet from the Gen Armada Starscream mould, with Skywarp being the exclusive to purchase figure. SO no G1 next year either

I get what you mean about the colours being washed out, the red is almost orange, and combined with the grey not being quite a dark grey, it makes me thing they only put half a coat of paint on, and the head's blue is quite pale compared to any Optimus figure I have...

I love this mould... Orion Pax is an awesome fig. Am loving the Maximal insignia and the gold paint apps.

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post
    next year's "free" figure is Universe Ramjet from the Gen Armada Starscream mould, with Skywarp being the exclusive to purchase figure. SO no G1 next year either
    Oh, I did see pics of those bit didn't realise that's what they were for. Ah well, know I know and knowings half the battle

Quote Originally Posted by prjkt View Post

I get what you mean about the colours being washed out, the red is almost orange, and combined with the grey not being quite a dark grey, it makes me thing they only put half a coat of paint on, and the head's blue is quite pale compared to any Optimus figure I have...
    But i already made a custom....

Well i will save some money next year.