View Poll Results: Which is your favourite?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airazor

4 15.38%
  • Armordillo

0 0%
  • Claw Jaw

1 3.85%
  • Drill Bit

0 0%
  • Iguanus

1 3.85%
  • Insecticon

2 7.69%
  • Lazorbeak

2 7.69%
  • Powerpinch

0 0%
  • Rattrap

6 23.08%
  • Razorbeast

3 11.54%
  • Razorclaw

2 7.69%
  • Snapper

1 3.85%
  • Snarl

1 3.85%
  • Spittor

0 0%
  • Terrorsaur

3 11.54%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who is your favourite Basic Beast Wars Transformer?

I voted Razorbeast...

But, sorry, I broke all your poll rules - didnt even know the toy existed when the show was current; and he's my fave BW character.
    I love the toy now tho (I even have two - my ONLY figure double-up) so that must count for something, right?
    TF Figs of 2023:
    1) WnR Springer
    2) Legacy Bludgeon
    3) Legacy Leo Prime/Nemesis Leo Prime.

So just out of curiosity, who was your favourite Basic BW figure back in the day?

Claw jaw... i like how he has a different weapon and the sleekness and poseability of the figure is awesome. He was my 2nd basic bw figure, first was Snarl but i didnt like his altmode in a way...
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by liegeprime View Post
    first was Snarl but i didnt like his altmode in a way...
    Snarl's alt mode is really badly inaccurate. It's meant to be a Tasmanian Devil, but really doesn't look like one, but rather just a generic dasyurid. If they ever do a Generations BW Snarl, I'd like to see it done with a more accurate beast mode.

I know that Snarl isn't the only BW TF with an inaccurate beast mode. Dinobot and Grimlock's velociraptor modes are also grossly inaccurate, bearing a closer resemblance to a deinonychus, although both 'raptors and deinonychuses. Mutant Beast Razorclaw's 'raptor mode is more accurate. While both velociraptors and deinonychuses were feathered dinosaurs, the evidence for this did not exist when Beast Wars came out, so I think that we can forgive Hasbro for not making them feathered.

plus those raptor modes of Dinobot and Grimlock are fat ass... I highly doubt they would be effective predators if Raptors were that stocky. lol
    Wanted AM partner Vanguard, Myclones Dirge, G1 Victory Leo, e-hobby Dark scream ( the black version), e-hobby Magnificus
    Parts- AM partner Basher-side guns, G1 Actionmaster Elite Windmill's blades[I][B]

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Dinobot and Grimlock's velociraptor modes are also grossly inaccurate, bearing a closer resemblance to a deinonychus, although both 'raptors and deinonychuses. Mutant Beast Razorclaw's 'raptor mode is more accurate. While both velociraptors and deinonychuses were feathered dinosaurs, the evidence for this did not exist when Beast Wars came out, so I think that we can forgive Hasbro for not making them feathered.
    I doubt it would've mattered what evidence was available back then. The Jurassic Park franchise has really screwed things when it comes to real Dinosaurs and the latest movie proves they don't give a damn about reality (Though they proved that with the first movie by deliberately going with the over-sized velociraptor instead of the deinonychus because they thought the name was cooler)

Hasbro would've been more interested in giving kids what they thought was right instead of what was actually right.

In Kenner's defence, they were based on the way that velociraptors were portrayed in Jurassic Park, which was a main competitor against Transformers during the G2 years. It's not paleontologically correct, but it's what was popular with kids. Kenner had the unenviable task of saving Transformers from extinction so it would've been very important for them to capitalise on whatever was popular with kids at the time, according to their market research. And it worked. Hasbro's Beast Wars packaging had the Saurian eye and scales on it, reminiscent of the iconic scene from Jurassic Park where the 'raptor stares at the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    In Kenner's defence, they were based on the way that velociraptors were portrayed in Jurassic Park, which was a main competitor against Transformers during the G2 years. It's not paleontologically correct, but it's what was popular with kids. Kenner had the unenviable task of saving Transformers from extinction so it would've been very important for them to capitalise on whatever was popular with kids at the time, according to their market research. And it worked. Hasbro's Beast Wars packaging had the Saurian eye and scales on it, reminiscent of the iconic scene from Jurassic Park where the 'raptor stares at the camera.
    Oh, I agree. I completely blame Hollywood for the misconceptions with dinosaurs that continue to this day. If they had gone with something more accurate everyone (me included at the time) would've panned them for their "inaccurate" dinosaurs. Everyone (almost) believed that the Jurassic Park movies were accurate and that was what we wanted.

Beast Wars is my favourite TV show, transformers or otherwise, hands down. I don't care about any inaccuracies, I just love it.

Inaccuracies in extinct species like velociraptors is one thing but inaccuracies in extant species like Tasmanian Devils is harder to excuse. Most people's initial exposure to velociraptor would've been through Jurassic Park, and unless you'd read up on the animal, you wouldn't have known any better. But Tasmanian Devils still exist and can be found in zoos! And there are plenty of photos and videos of these creatures.

These aren't the only inaccuracies though. Hasbro refers to Megatron as a crocodile, whereas Takara refers to him as an alligator. In actuality it's a fairly generic crocodilian, but the protruding fang would mean that it's not a crocodile, but the snout structure is more similar to a caiman than an alligator (although caimans are more closely related to gators than crocs). Then there's Iguanus who's more like a mythological creature than a real animal; he's got the head of a Komodo dragon, a frilled neck, and the body of an alligatorid! You'd expect Perseus to come along and fight this thing.

But hey... like I said, this was early days for Beast Wars in a time when Kenner were desperately trying to do something to rescue a nearly dead Transformers franchise. No one TF series is perfect, and Beast Wars' strengths far outnumber its weaknesses (as evidenced by its resounding success). Besides, how often do we have Transformers whose vehicle mode isn't entire accurate to the real thing, or are a hybrid of different vehicles, or are completely fictitious.