Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyworld Devilstar - train/space shuttle triple-changer

Default Toyworld Devilstar - train/space shuttle triple-changer

No thread for it yet, so here goes: pics up at tformers.com of Toyworld's not-Astrotrain.
    It's one of two steam-train/space-shuttle/robot type offerings coming out soon, the other being DX9 Chigurh (thread here), whose name is apparently supposed to be the onomatopoeia for the sound a steam train makes.

I'm really liking the look of Devilstar here, robot mode is the weakest of the three but it's far from bad and shuttle mode and train mode look amazing. The engineering on this thing looks insane. Would have preferred they'd skipped the purple altogether and gone for a full Japanese/black-and-white version homage (I know, I must be one of the few people who don't want cartoon accuracy), but even so it's going to be hard to pass this one up.

I was ready to write this guy off, but all painted up he's pretty damn nice. Doesn't really look much like the cartoon or comic Astrotrain, but it's an awesom homage to the original toy and Diaclone.

I'm sold on both these versions of Astrotrain, purely because both Steam Loco modes look gorgeous!

Just wish the Aussie Dollar wasn't junk at the moment...

I was all prepared to ignore this version but it looks nice. And being Toyworls this version will be decent quality.

Hmm. Decisions...
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hehe, just noticed that Toyworld's is a 4-6-2 and DX-9's is a 2-8-4!

Neither of which are accurate to the original Astrotrain toy, a 2-8-2 JNR Class D-51 "Mikado", but both are still badass nonetheless.

Personally the Toyworld version makes a much better shuttle mode. I also prefer the look of the train mode.

If I was buying Independent Masterpieces I'd most likely grab this. I love the Juxtaposition of the shuttle wings on the robot back against the steam train wheels on the inside of the leg.

it's odd, Astrotrain used to be a mix of the super advanced and the practically obsolete. now he's just obsolete and obsolete.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)

Shuttle mode and train mode is better than dx9 imo but the robot mode is weaker, and I'm not liking the small thighs. Have to see what dx9 comes up with with their painted test shot I guess

Is there any pics of scale for this? I would like an astro train for my CHUG line, hopefully this is large voyager size.
    Spiderken Away!

CoRDS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

i like both , but i pre ordered the dx9 one because i want cartoon colours and look.

but damn that toyworld one looks like a nice upgrade to the g1 toy

Just got this today

nice details on gun

oh la la

shuttle mode

imo the weakest mode, tho not bad at all in hand.

in my display with mp decepticons

Final thoughts, very fiddly figure, bit of qc issue with the figure as mine was missing one grey wheels connection piece in train mode.. I got in contact with the seller and they will ship me the missing piece so no biggie. I went with toyworld not astrotrain instead of dx9 mainly due to aesthetics. In my opinion evila star blows the dx9 version out of the water with shuttle and train modes, robot mode is a little weaker but I still enjoy toyworld's overall design as dx9's robot mode looks a bit "too detailed" to look like the cartoon.. Not sure how everyone else feels on that but that's my opinion.