Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The State of the Toy Business.

I think toy interest is down not so much because kids have changed and wouldn't be interested but because there isn't really much that is actually worth being excited about any more. Naturally a kid would say that toys are lame because he is growing up in an era where most of them are indeed lame.

Just look at the rubbish that is on the shelves now.

On the other hand, Lego seems to be doing alright and so a girl toys apparently - Just Mattel mishandling the market as they usually do. It's just the action figure/Boy's toys which are suffering because their quality and innovation have deteriorated to a point not even kids want them.

Also the 'medium' promoting the toys isn't that great. We haven't had a good Transformers cartoon that becomes a sensation in a very long time (I think Beast Wars was the last one? Other cartoons did ok but didn't stand out above most as a whole) and Bay movies despite 'mixed perceptions' seem to be a 'watch and forget' affair and you need enduring appeal to sell toys.

As an adult fan I'm crying out for Masterpieces... hoping that HASTAK will do more and release them in Australia. Also as an adult who loves Transformers I have influenced my nieces and nephews when it comes to their choice of toys... engage the adult as well as the child and you have a winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Supreme View Post
    As an adult fan I'm crying out for Masterpieces... hoping that HASTAK will do more and release them in Australia. Also as an adult who loves Transformers I have influenced my nieces and nephews when it comes to their choice of toys... engage the adult as well as the child and you have a winner.
    When they're significantly more expensive (Prowl) or difficult to find (Soundwave), you might as well collect the Takara ones, which are easier to get hold of, generally with more accessories available (even if they're Amazon exclusives in Japan), often with higher quality paint/quality control (compare the recent Grimlock re-releases from Hasbro and Takara).

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    When they're significantly more expensive (Prowl) or difficult to find (Soundwave), you might as well collect the Takara ones, which are easier to get hold of, generally with more accessories available (even if they're Amazon exclusives in Japan), often with higher quality paint/quality control (compare the recent Grimlock re-releases from Hasbro and Takara).
    Seriously! Someone at Nexus was selling a TT Prowl for $75 and got haggled down to even less. Buyer went off to get the money and i remarked to the seller "You should have kept it $75 and told him to visit TRU and pay $100 if he doens't like it!"

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    Seriously! Someone at Nexus was selling a TT Prowl for $75 and got haggled down to even less. Buyer went off to get the money and i remarked to the seller "You should have kept it $75 and told him to visit TRU and pay $100 if he doens't like it!"
    The quality, pricing, and availability is exactly why most of my MP collection has become Takara.

Even when they're pricey, they don't have the issues I've seen on some Hasbro stuff. That being said, my Hasbro MP-10 and Thundercrackers are perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by kup View Post
    I think toy interest is down not so much because kids have changed and wouldn't be interested but because there isn't really much that is actually worth being excited about any more. Naturally a kid would say that toys are lame because he is growing up in an era where most of them are indeed lame.

Just look at the rubbish that is on the shelves now.

On the other hand, Lego seems to be doing alright and so a girl toys apparently - Just Mattel mishandling the market as they usually do. It's just the action figure/Boy's toys which are suffering because their quality and innovation have deteriorated to a point not even kids want them.

Also the 'medium' promoting the toys isn't that great. We haven't had a good Transformers cartoon that becomes a sensation in a very long time (I think Beast Wars was the last one? Other cartoons did ok but didn't stand out above most as a whole) and Bay movies despite 'mixed perceptions' seem to be a 'watch and forget' affair and you need enduring appeal to sell toys.
    Agree that today's toy lines are crap. Why isn't MOTU as 'mainstream' as Star Wars or Transformers these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Metro View Post
    Agree that today's toy lines are crap. Why isn't MOTU as 'mainstream' as Star Wars or Transformers these days?
    Because holy sh-t was that Dolph movie TERRIBLE! :P
    Last edited by griffin; 16th July 2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse View Post
    Because holy sh-t was that Dolph movie TERRIBLE! :P
    Hmmm, might have to watch that movie again. Haven't seen it in years!
    Last edited by griffin; 16th July 2014 at 06:43 PM. Reason: quoted language

Yeah, I'm not sure that the article is right on their numbers there, that 500 mil retail price was produced but only 250 will be sold.... And Griffin is spot on about the Wave 2 stock. I wouldn't think that Hasbro would make available sales data, and the articles source may be wrong.
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by kurdt_the_goat View Post
    $75 for tt prowl was there was haggling - perceived value for these babies have come down.

I had 2 people trying to open the linkin park Soundwave. If I had not stopped in time it will been torn open.