Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia

Go Back   Ozformers Transformers Club of Australia (otca.com.au) > Beyond the Spacebridge (Non-Transformers Section) > Non-toy stuff

Sightings/Sales

Old 11th October 2017, 10:31 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Recently caught the repeat of Todd Samson's Body Hack episode that looks at the science of fear in a fight. As many of us know, the majority of a fight happens before the first hit is ever thrown - it's psychological. This is something that traditional martial arts have understood for centuries and that the modern military has invested a lot of time and money into researching. In this episode Todd Samson visits an MMA gym with some interesting results.
https://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/t...on-1/episode-1

And this is a common criticism that I have of a lot of martial arts schools -- traditional or modern, across all styles... a really common thing I see, or more accurately, that I don't see, is teaching students about the science of fear. It's such a critically important element of any fight and yet so many schools today just don't look at it. Not all of course, but you'd be surprised at how many schools just don't.
Old 21st October 2017, 09:31 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

A really intelligent and interesting video: Top 5 Mistakes Aikido Experts Always Make
The person in this video is an Aikido practitioner who loves Aikido himself, but he's also critically analysed his own art and devised ways to improve it. He's also worked as a bouncer for 17 years. While the video focuses on Aikido I think that the message of his video is applicable to all martial arts.
Old 29th October 2017, 11:16 AM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Funniest fight commentary evah! It's as if it were scripted by Bill Birmingham. #wiredworldofsports
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAF0ZeCpPqE
Old 12th February 2018, 11:00 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

This year I've switched to another class in the same Tai Chi school. This is a Baji class. I've only been to two lessons so far, but unlike other classes they do teach:
* practical applications
* exercises to promote fitness and endurance (gaaaah)
* sparring! - students are required to provide their own protective gear

One of the other guys that I was training in Tai Chi Push Hands with comes from an Okinawan Karate background, and he's joined this Baji class too. We're both quite nitpicky smart alecs () and try as we might, we have yet to find any real faults in this Baji system!

The main criticism that we both agreed on is that it's probably too advanced a fighting form for people with little to no prior martial arts experience. This is because Baji is very close-quarter combat.

In any case, at the end of each lesson I'm drowning in my own sweat and am absolutely knackered!

This is the form that I'm currently learning. So far I'm only up to about the 15 second mark on this video. But it feels so good to be learning a form where I'm also being taught the practical applications for each move and it doesn't feel like I'm learning some meaningless dance routine!

A Japanese Karate master experiences Baji (as well as an Okinawan Karateka)

P.S.: In this video the director and film crew admit to the same Baji instructor of being skeptical of the Baji that they've been seeing. And so they ask for a private demonstration.

Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 12th February 2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 20th February 2018, 10:36 PM
Rank 6 - Deluxe Member

Question for discussion: What would be the one martial art outside of what you're training in or have trained in that you admire the most?

As a Tai-Chi/Kung Fu practitioner, I would say that the one non Kung-Fu art would have to be Brazilian Juujutsu. Things that I admire about BJJ include:
  • It's a relatively simple yet incredibly effective fighting form
  • It's a passive martial art, meaning that it only has defences, no attacks. "But that's ripping off Aikido!" Uh, no. Aikido came from Juujutsu (originally called Aiki-Juujutsu), so take that. But whereas many Aikido schools just don't teach effective self-defence,
    most BJJ schools do. Check out this video: Why Aikido is absolutely useless -- and the person who made this video loves
    Aikido. The name of his channel is AikidoFlow, he's an Aikido black belt and is also a bouncer by trade, but he's also a big critic of his own art.
  • The passive nature of the art also makes it ideal for self defence from a legal POV because you don't strike the opponent. The main objective is to simply immobilise the attacker so that he cannot attack you. Once the opponent is immobilised then you are in a position to negotiate (e.g. order him to stop resisting/fighting etc.). As long as he continues to struggle, you can maintain or tighten your grip. He's not going anywhere until you have compliance. And you keep him pinned in a vise-like grip until authorities arrive.
  • It is a fairly non-presumptuous martial art. Aikido tends to suffer from something that many other martial arts schools suffer from too -- too many assumptions, especially the assumption that your opponent isn't bigger, stronger, better skilled and just a mean son of a glitch. They assume that the opponent is evenly matched, honourable and will fight fair. Good martial arts schools don't make these dangerous assumptions, and I find that BJJ tends to be pretty good in this regard. Their training philosophy still retains the traditional mindset of assuming Murphy's Law, with the sole exception that they do assume that you won't be outnumbered. But in terms of 1 on 1 combat BJJ is bloody impressive. Historic Japanese Juujutsu does actually have techniques for combating multiple opponents, but with BJJ's preference for ground fighting I don't know how much of that remains.
  • BJJ teaches you how to fight immediately. None of these rubbish excuses that I hear so often from other schools where being combat-ready taking years or decades to achieve. Okay, extended years or decades of training will make you more masterful as a fighter, but basic proficiency in fighting should not take that long. BJJ allows you to be able to defend yourself today, not tomorrow. And again, this isn't anything that's unique to BJJ but for whatever reason it's a principle that many other schools have lost but BJJ has kept.

Check out this video of a BJJ White Belt vs a Kung Fu fighter. This white belt totally owns the Kung Fu fighter! A novice! See... this is how every martial art should be taught. Your beginners should be able to fight! Okay, he's not a masterful or even expert fighter, but remember, he is just a beginner. But he's not incompetent either! This White Belt would actually stand a fair chance of survival if he were attacked on the street by some random thug. I'd say better odds than the Kung Fu fighter that he beat. And this is what the core purpose of our training is -- to increase our odds of survival in the event of an attack.

Yes, I know that BJJ is not unique in this regard. There are other martial arts schools out there that do similarly equip their students with decent fight competency in a relatively short period of time. But they can be a pain in the butt to find! I've spent years switching schools and classes trying to find the right instructor, and this year is the first time in many years that I've found an instructor that I'm satisfied with!

But if you can't be bothered spending all that time and energy trying to find a new teacher, then I'd say consider BJJ. The main reason why I haven't jumped into BJJ is because the nearest BJJ Dojo to me is really, really expensive. It is certainly not a cheap art to study. But it is, IMO, definitely an impressively effective fighting form that I have full respect for.