Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 5FDP's Mortal Kombat Collection

Default 5FDP's Mortal Kombat Collection

Below is my Mortal Kombat collection. The funny thing is, I never really considered myself a collector of MK until I thought about what I had accumulated over the last 20 years (yes, this year is the 20th anniversary of MK!).

My collection comprises the first issue of the Mortal Kombat comic series – written and illustrated by John Tobias, the super-rare Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade Game Soundtrack, two MK t-shirts which were free with their respective game purchases, MK2 collector posters which came with the monthly Timezone magazines, and of course the games amongst other things.

The observant person would realise that I do not own MK vs. DC nor the ‘adventure games' Mortal Kombat: Special Forces and Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero, that’s because I don’t care for these games at all and don’t consider them to be part of the mythology. I also don’t have many of the figures released because up until recently, they were all pretty much garbage.

I have also owned MK2 on the Sega 32X and MK Plug & Play (recently reacquired mostly for it's novelty value) in an effort to own the best port of both games. As it turns out, neither lived up to expectations and were traded off a long time ago.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and feel free to ask questions.

Game Guides

Comics, Magazines, and Print Ads

Posters

Trading Cards

Arcade Games
    (Not pictured – MK Arcade Kollection & Midway Arcade Treasures 2)

Adventure Game

Plug & Play

LCD Handhelds

T-Shirts

Bookends / Statue

Soundtracks
    (The MK Movie Soundtrack is one of the best soundtracks IMO and the reason why I got into Fear Factory)

Movies

Animated Video

Digital Watch

Bobblehead

Figures

Last edited by 5FDP; 14th January 2013 at 04:44 PM.
    New Acquisitions:
    TR Astrotrain, Skullsmasher, & Hardhead
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [COLLECTION] [CREATIVE] [MK COLLECTION]

Best game ever. Good choice of figures..

You mispelt 'Kollection' in the thread title. Also, nice kollection you have there!
    "I am not a gun. I'm hitting people with a hammer. On Mars."
    The Iron Giant / David Wildgoose

Awesome stuff there man i remeber those old posters from timezone mag.......i am glad to see that you dont have the MK TV Series...dreadfull it was!
    UP UP CRONULLA

Follow Me on:

Twitter - @Sharky_Wattsy

Quote Originally Posted by Deonasis View Post
    You mispelt 'Kollection' in the thread title. Also, nice kollection you have there!
    I was considering using 'Kollection' instead of 'Collection' but I thought that might cause some confusion with the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection

Thanks for the compliment

Unlike my TF collection, all of the above was bought firsthand instead of sourcing things on the secondhand market e.g. eBay. Because of this, I am just as proud of what I have been able to accumulate over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    i am glad to see that you dont have the MK TV Series...dreadfull it was!
    Ummm... I do, just not on DVD The female cast wasn't bad to look at though so that's a plus
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Aww man, that is one incredibly cool collection 5FDP - I'm especially impressed with the old magazine & movie posters!

As a Megadrive man, I will honorably concede that you got the better version of MK II of the consoles; remind me though, did the SNES version of MK I have blood? - I have a vague memory that the Megadrive version was the only console version that had Blood, albeit via a code, but did the SNES version have it too?

Mate, what I'd give to rip those CDs of yours (For backup purposes of course ) as I too really dug the 1st Movie's soundtrack as I used to think KMFDM's - Juke Joint Jezebel was just awesome, much like the MK Theme song but I'm really blown out to hear that it was this CD that got you liking Fear Factory!

That MK II soundtrack is especially awesome man!, some of the BGM tunes from that game were really cool!
    I also totally agree with you on the figures front, they were really quite horrible up until recently, though some of the old statues/vinyl kits weren't all too bad but I never had an opportunity to own any myself.

Those guides are invaluable too, I think I might still have a beaten up MK 4 guide somewhere - I liked that game's art direction but man were the controls a bit weird initially eh? - Given the whole transition to 3D.

I also wasn't a big fan of the Animated series; That VHS you've got there however, which is the CG cartoon yeah?, my Brother and I hired from our local video store about a billion times as I found it really cool for how it explored the background stories for some of the more notable characters of the time (Namely Goro, Scorpion and Subzero ).

A really stunning effort over the past 20 years man, yet another collection of yours that I'm incredibly envious of ; Many thanks for sharing dude.

Great collection! And I noticed how mint each one of those pieces are.

Thanks for the kind words Hursti

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    As a Megadrive man, I will honorably concede that you got the better version of MK II of the consoles; remind me though, did the SNES version of MK I have blood?
    The SNES version did not have blood just grey sweat, however with the use of a Game Genie the sweat could be turned red. It also had modified fatalities. Many people believe that because of the absence of fatalities in the SNES port that gave Sega the edge in the console wars. Sales for MK on the SNES were quite poor compared to Sega's own version. Nintendo realising the error of their ways, including all the blood and gore for the sequel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    That VHS you've got there however, which is the CG cartoon yeah?
    You're half correct. It's a mix of traditional animation and CG.

Quote Originally Posted by gamblor916 View Post
    Great collection! And I noticed how mint each one of those pieces are.
    Thanks Unlike my Transformers collection, all of the above isn't on display and kept in the same cupboard for the last 20 odd years despite moving house 3 times. Part of the reason why I wanted to post this thread was to dig everything out to remind myself what I had.
    New Acquisitions:
    Scouting For:
    G1 Boxes & Cardbacks

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Thanks for the kind words Hursti
    Not a problem at all man, it's an amazing collection.

The SNES version did not have blood just grey sweat, however with the use of a Game Genie the sweat could be turned red. It also had modified fatalities. Many people believe that because of the absence of fatalities in the SNES port that gave Sega the edge in the console wars. Sales for MK on the SNES were quite poor compared to Sega's own version. Nintendo realising the error of their ways, including all the blood and gore for the sequel.
    Ah really?, that explains a bit because the SNES version of MK II was way and beyond better than the Megadrive version (Aided by the extra RAM too mind you ) and Mortal Kombat in general was uber popular in the day so yeah; it's common sense I suppose that Nintendo needed to act and quickly huh?

Bloody Game Genies, could never get the buggers to work consistently so I just hunted down every Hyper Magazine I could find with the relevant cheat codes or those Cheat Codes edition handbooks that magazines used to do back in the day.
    (Red blood beats Grey sweat though any day )

You're half correct. It's a mix of traditional animation and CG.
    Yeah, that's what I meant; the fight scenes and the odd cutscene were in CG, where the bulk narration and storyline were in traditional animation.

Call me the Jelly Green Giant.

Yes that movie soundtrack is awesome.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503