Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP:Improving ratchets in figures

hYpNoS is offline Rank 6 - Dedicated Member

Default HELP:Improving ratchets in figures

So I thought I'd break g1 cannon and put my grimlock into combined mode but his waist despite an obvious ratchet was terrible, it clicks and spins freely even without limbs.

I took him apart and it seems the teeth do fit (unlike cw skylynx) they just can't support it at all, how would I go about improving the ratchet clicks?

I can't force them together closer like with my cw skylynx because they fit, and not sure if using the old polish method would be safe to try, any tips?

Can you post a photo of the disassembled ratchet?

https://imgur.com/a/2DDDi

First pic is the main ratchets doing all the heavy lifting

Second is what makes it click, its that very tiny nub (left one leg on so I don't get lost later)

Third is what they look like when together, I tried applying pressure between them but still too soft a connection

Quote Originally Posted by hYpNoS View Post
    https://imgur.com/a/2DDDi

First pic is the main ratchets doing all the heavy lifting

Second is what makes it click, its that very tiny nub (left one leg on so I don't get lost later)

Third is what they look like when together, I tried applying pressure between them but still too soft a connection
    If I'm understanding the pics, the little nub visible in the second pic is like a flexible rectangle piece that has a bit of give in it, with a nub on one flat edge. It acts like the spring in a larger ratchet. Any chance you could elevate that piece a little bit? Might need the piece in pic 2 to be separated for access.

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

M-bot is suggesting what I was thinking.

Maybe slip some paper under the nub piece, it looks like it's a separate piece, like a clip.

Quote Originally Posted by M-bot View Post
    If I'm understanding the pics, the little nub visible in the second pic is like a flexible rectangle piece that has a bit of give in it, with a nub on one flat edge. It acts like the spring in a larger ratchet. Any chance you could elevate that piece a little bit? Might need the piece in pic 2 to be separated for access.
    You're right, infact it slid right out, thought it was molded part of it but yanked it out with tweezers (its been added to the folder on the previous link btw).

So let me get this straight, the suggestion is to bring the piece forward from its housing, its already a tight fit, is the thought behind it just to eliminate the "give" the piece has so it holds stronger, am I right?

I'll give this a shot, will report my findings in due time

Edit:For those who wish not to click the imgur link its a rectangular ringed shaped piece, gonna try some rods from old gundam model kit runners to see if that can prevent the give followed by adding something behind the bar

tried adding a bit of sprue to the plastic "spring", improved one leg ratchet like this but not the other, tried adding material to the back of where the "spring" sits, like a royal idiot closed it up with the nub in backwards so the nub is trashed.

and because of the material the spring rotates so it doesn't even grip the teeth, im giving up before I destroy this thing

Sorry to hear that. Maybe someone will make an upgrade kit like Nonnef did for the ratchets on CW prime/ motormaster and silverbolt.

I’m doing a bit of a deep dive on my spare parts box later today, if I see another of those pieces (I’ve seen them on a few different TFs I’ve dismantled) I’ll save it for you. You wouldn’t have the dimensions of the rectangle piece?

M-Bot's Customs logo by M-bot2011

To follow M's Toy Customs of Facebook, visit: https://www.facebook.com/MsToyCustoms
    While you're there, click the "LIKE" button!

you could potentially design and use shapeways to manufacture a replacement part. the trick would be to ensure it wasn't so stiff or hard that it damaged the cog part of the ratchet joint as that would be a lot harder to replace.
    My Fan interview with Big Trev

my original collection from when I was more impressionable.
    My Current Collection Pics (Changing on occasion)