Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LG14 Ultra Magnus revealed? Includes Alpha Trion?

I can see why TakaraTOMY have made this decision, as Minimus Ambus would certainly be extremely obscure to most Japanese collectors (as it's an Anglophone continuity exclusive character/concept). Still... I'll be getting the Hasbro version myself.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    I can see why TakaraTOMY have made this decision, as Minimus Ambus would certainly be extremely obscure to most Japanese collectors (as it's an Anglophone continuity exclusive character/concept). Still... I'll be getting the Hasbro version myself.
    So why make the paintjob IDW accurate? It's mainly cartoon, but has the red thighs of the toy/comic.
    Seeking the Following:
    - CW Brawl
    - Earthrise Runabout
    - Earthrise Thrust

Perhaps it's a tribute for the Japanese fans who do know about IDW, and the colours are similar enough to the cartoon character that it's still identifiable for those who aren't. There are Japanese fans who are familiar with the Anglophone continuity, just as there are Anglophone fans who are familiar with Japanese continuity. But most fans on both sides would be more familiar with their own 'indigenous' continuities.

Quote Originally Posted by Bidoofdude View Post
    So why make the paintjob IDW accurate? It's mainly cartoon, but has the red thighs of the toy/comic.
    Takara's classics-verse releases tend to focus more on toy accuracy than media accuracy (MP line is the opposite) so not too surprised here.

And while it's the comics that make me want this Ultra Magnus mould, the red thighs just seem a little "odd" to me, so I'll probably stick with the Hasbro version, unless Takara pulled a United class shiny paint job

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Would that mean that in the Japanese continuity that Ultra Magnus is really Ultra Maureen and is pregnant with Alpha Teeny?

Seriously - how do they rationalise within the genre that Alpha Trion is the fruit of Ultra Magnus' belly?
    Hahaha, oh Trev, you amuse me

Quote Originally Posted by BigTransformerTrev View Post
    Would that mean that in the Japanese continuity that Ultra Magnus is really Ultra Maureen and is pregnant with Alpha Teeny?

Seriously - how do they rationalise within the genre that Alpha Trion is the fruit of Ultra Magnus' belly?
    Okay, now you have SPOILED both versions of Magnus for me, as well as the whole Pretender concept. Thanks for nothing man

Actually though, I'm going to choose to see him as the first modern Pretender Shell, rather than something sexual. I mean, who was the father then? Primus through divine conception
    On the lookout for MISB Headmaster Highbrow, Takara or Hasbro. I'm sure I could make you a sweet deal!

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post
    Okay, now you have SPOILED both versions of Magnus for me, as well as the whole Pretender concept. Thanks for nothing man

Actually though, I'm going to choose to see him as the first modern Pretender Shell, rather than something sexual. I mean, who was the father then? Primus through divine conception
    It worked for Mary...
    Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Keeping things out of the gutter for a moment...

From a toy POV, Ultra Magnus is very much like a Mega Pretender (i.e. both the inner robot and outer robot can transform; although Mega Pretenders can combine in vehicle mode; I'm not sure if Minimus can combine w/ the Magnus Armour in vehicle mode (or if he just rides in the trailer)). From a canonical POV, Ultra Magnus is something entirely different from Pretenders. He is a load bearer, which means that unique features of Minimus' Spark allows his body to specially augmented like a Russian nesting doll, carrying one or more "loads" at a time. In the IDW comics, Minimus carries two loads - a larger Minimus Ambus shell, and the Magnus Armour. This toy carries a single load; the Magnus Armour.

This is also a homage to the original G1 Ultra Magnus toy who, as we all know, is a the same body type as Optimus Prime, but the trailer transforms into power armour for the cab robot. Now of course, Alpha Trion was never anything like this, but as explained, this decision was most likely done to make the Minimus toy more appealing to the general Japanese market, most of whom would have no knowledge of Minimus Ambus. I personally prefer the Hasbro version, as Minimus Ambus makes way more sense than Alpha Trion, but I can understand why TakaraTOMY made that decision for their market.

At the end of the day, if a few colours here or there really bother you... repaint it yourself?

Doh!

I was afraid this would happen, I didn't think that Takara's Magnus would come with Minimus Ambus and now it appears true. Now I don't know what to do, I want that Minimus Ambus figure, but if this photo is accurate the Takara Magnus toys colour aps are so much nicer looking than the Hasbro version, actually worthy for a Leader class.

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAprime View Post
    Theres a Kreon and EX Gokin of Alpha Trion, so this would be the 4th Alpha Trion.

I think if this is legit I might do something I normally never do and buy both the Hasbro and Takara Tomy and parts swap the red thighs on UM. Then I would have both Alpha Trion and Minimus Ambus.
    A rather expensive solution for a Leader class toy, also red thighs are correct for MTMTE IDW Magnus.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythirax View Post
    Hahaha, oh Trev, you amuse me

Quote Originally Posted by reillyd View Post

Well if it's a Pretender Shell then it begs the question of why Alpha Trion is dressing up like Ultra Magnus? Maybe he is going to a fancy dress party:

"Hey everyone! I'm the Duly Appointed Enforcer Guy! Howdy Howdy Howdy!"

And after a few strong cubes the impressions start:

"Yes Optimus, No Optimus! Rodimus that's a bad idea! No one liked me in Season3!"