Page 12 of 1041 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172232 ... LastLast

Thread: Transformers questions by newbies, and not-so-newbies

Quote Originally Posted by Soundwarp View Post
    Your not making KO's by any chance are you?
    that's a good point! nice pick up on that... box dimensions, combiner names, robot names, robot heights

before i can make KO transformers i must first make super, powerful and ultimate AUTOBREADTICON transformer, it will be the most prized transformer of Griffin.

q1 - lately i saw a mini sparkplug and spike mini figures, are there any more G1 human figures i can collect?

q2 - Construction Maximus ,Superion Maximus + Bruticus Maximus
    Group picture please

if any of you are intersted autobreadticon transform into a muffin with sprinkles on top
    Wanted items:
    eHobby Orion Pax and Dion

Quote Originally Posted by Paulbot
    I meant the common interpretation of combiner team as group of Transformers that form a large robot (which is what Autobreadticon is interested in)

Gestalt team, Combiner team... You say Tomato, I say Tomato
    Not with Micromasters. A Micromaster "Combiner" is very much officially an entirely different concept to a Micromaster gestalt warrior (gattaisenshi).

It is for this very reason that the term "gestalt" is commonly used in the fandom to avoid ambiguity. Sadly Hasbro - in their almighty inattentiveness, used the term "Combiner" to refer to gestalts in RiD. *sigh* Making the term 'combiner' officially acceptable for gestalts too - but many fans still prefer to use the term 'gestalt' to avoid confusion.

It gets very ambiguous when we're talking about G1 because in G1 the term "Combiner" was officially used to refer to the Micromaster Combiners, who of course, are NOT gestalts like Devastator, Bruticus and the actual Micromaster gestalts themselves.

I'm personally not the biggest fan of fan-terms... I always opt to use official terms where possible (hence why I always say "Sky Raiders" rather than "Seekers" - although "Seekers" has recently entered the official TF lexicon via Dreamwave Comics) - but the problem with the term "combiners" is that it now officially has two meanings. In G1 it refers to two Micromaster Transformers who combine to form a single vehicle mode. In RiD it refers to gestalts.

Because "combiners" was originally used to describe 2 TFs who merged into a combined vehicle mode first in G1, I (and generally across the fandom) tend to refer to them as "combiners" and Transformer teams who combine into a giant super robot as "gestalts." Officially the term "special team" can also apply for the Scramble City gestalts - as that was an official Anglophone term for those gestalt teams.

So in the context of G1, the term "combiner" was never officially attached to the gestalts. Even outside of G1 the term can still be confusing because there are still many post-G1 TFs who combine, but are NOT gestalts, e.g.: all the power-linking Energon Transformers. If someone says, "Energon Combiners" are they talking about the Energon Gestalts like Superion and Bruticus or are they talking about Powerlinx?? Outside of G1 the term "combiner" is too ambiguous whereas "gestalt" has taken on a very specific meaning in Transfandom.

Hasbro really should either:
    a/ Never have used the term "Combiners" for the Micromaster Combiners, or
    b/ Having realised that they'd already used the term "Combiners" to represent a wholly different concept, never used it to describe gestalt teams in RiD thus causing confusion and ambiguity on an official level.

...why, it's almost as if Hasbro wasn't paying attention! *gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by autobreadticon
    q1 - lately i saw a mini sparkplug and spike mini figures, are there any more G1 human figures i can collect?
    That Spike and Sparkplug set are unlicensed (i.e.: not official).

Officially speaking the only G1 humans you can collect are Spike and Daniel.

Honestly who first thinks of a limited late-G1 range of Micromasters when you hear the term "combiners"?

I was using that term for Devastator, Defensor etc long before the Micromasters came out. Not the UK comic's "special teams" or anything like that.

I never heard of the word Gestalt at all until I entered online fandom and even then it took me years before I started pronounced it correctly.

We could throw anecdotes at each other all day and it wouldn't really achieve much.

Not everyone may necessarily think of the Micromaster Combiners when they hear the term "combiners" but when someone says "Micromaster Combiners", then I'm sorry, but they have very specifically targetted the actual Micromaster Combiner sub-group. And you did actually say "Micromaster Combiners."

If you say, "RiD Combiners" then sure, you're talking about the RiD gestalts. If you say "combiners" just by itself, you could be talking about gestalts or other forms of combiners. It's ambiguous. But when you say "Micromaster Combiners" then I'm afraid there's actually no ambiguity there - you have very specifically stated that 'Micromaster Combiners' which is that specific sub group name! If you had said, "Micromasters that combine" then okay, it's more ambiguous - you could be talking about Combiners or gestalts.

Saying "Micromaster Combiners" when you meant Micromaster gestalts is like almost like saying "Australian Rules Football" when you meant "Australian football." Technically football does refer to soccer in Australia - after all the Socceroos are officially known as the Australian National Football Team and Football Federation Australia (http://www.footballaustralia.com.au) is a soccer federation. But Aussie Rules is technically and officially the name of an entirely different sport that is not football (soccer). Saying "football" is technically a reference to soccer (the football world cup is a soccer cup) but it can also ambiguously be interpreted as a reference to AFL, NRL, Grid Iron etc. If someone is talking about "football Super Bowl" then they're obviously referring to Grid Iron - as obscure as it may be (as it only seems to be prevalent in the U.S. whereas football (soccer) is the most popular sport in the world) in that context it is very much specifically qualifying itself as American Football or Grid Iron.

Likewise when you say "Micromaster Combiner" you have very specifically qualified what you're saying as referring explicitly to that sub-group. You might say afterwards, "oh I meant gestalts" - and that's fine - but be aware that when you say "Micromaster Combiner" you are using a very specific term.
    Last edited by GoktimusPrime; 4th February 2008 at 06:33 PM.

what is the height of SCF and MSCF figures?

i saw a SCF hot rod before that could transform, so only some of the SCF can transform right?

hay i just saw griffins book collection, what are the best guide books in terms of showing G1 characters info, their toy and price?

thank you
    Last edited by autobreadticon; 4th February 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    Wanted items:

None of the SCFs or Mega-SCFs can transform. There are some small model kits which can transform (mostly from disassembling and reassembling the model) but certainly none of the SCFs.

8 -Can someone photograph titanium jetfire next to a micromaster combiner formed?
    Here you go...

q2 - Construction Maximus ,Superion Maximus + Bruticus Maximus
    Group picture please

haha GoktimusPrime i meant a gestalt# micromasters formed , like superion.
    but i gotta admit it looks awesome close up

im not a big fan of those energon combiners

GoktimusPrime what reference resource books for toy identification,pricing and a little general information do you use?

well thank you for everyone answering my questions, i just discovered chrono-Q, SCF, MSCF, myclone so i got a lot of web surfing to go

Currently im aware of mini figures ; G1 mini-bots,micromasters,mini-con,chrono-Q,SCF,myclone, WSTF, HOC,LOC, titanium, decoys,robot heroes, reissue keychains,spychangers and cassettes. Are there any more mini/micro sized transformers
    Wanted items:

benben2142 Guest

Hey guys how come no body mentions anything about toy fairs in Queensland?
    Last edited by dirge; 4th February 2008 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Not everyone may necessarily think of the Micromaster Combiners when they hear the term "combiners" but when someone says "Micromaster Combiners", then I'm sorry, but they have very specifically targetted the actual Micromaster Combiner sub-group. And you did actually say "Micromaster Combiners."

Likewise when you say "Micromaster Combiner" you have very specifically qualified what you're saying as referring explicitly to that sub-group. You might say afterwards, "oh I meant gestalts" - and that's fine - but be aware that when you say "Micromaster Combiner" you are using a very specific term.
    My usage was in response to a question was about Universe Micromasters that merged into a large robot. There is no way I expected Autobreadticon or any other newbie to think I was referring to the six-member Micromaster squads when I was responding. My lack of capital letters to indicate proper nouns might have shown I was referring to certain Transformers in general rather than a specific group.

And remember this thread is about answering newcomer's questions not correcting other members who try to help.