Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 162631323334353637383940414656 ... LastLast

Thread: The Doctor Who thread

It was definitely weird.

Felt a little rushed, but other than that one little scene I enjoyed it. Great casting of all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post

Most of my exposure had been from re-runs during the early 90s of Tom Baker's run (So was really chuffed to see his cameo, being MY first Doctor ), with spatterings of Dalek & Cybermen themed Jon Pertwee stories rented on VHS from Civic Video!
    So much fun, so many nightmares

Quote Originally Posted by Hursticon View Post
    The Valeyard seems like it'd be a hard thing to tackle at this point (Had to do a wiki search on that one, ), at least on-screen without having another "Multi-Doctor" episode to deal with it, so perhaps it's a story better leant to an Animated or Audio-based story?
    ...Also, I thought that a recent retcon at some point had dispelled the hard-rule of only 13 regenerations?
    I don't think they will ignore the Valeyard as the Great Intelligence say it is one of the Doctor's future names in "the Name of the Doctor"

They say that he is a result of the 12th to 13th regeneration, but how he is spawned isn't stated. I'm sure they could write around it.

Also, the Master had used all 12 of his regenerations but the Time Lords resurrected him and he had more regenerations. He had also always planned to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations so he can keep living. It shows that Time Lords can be given more regenerations
    They could find a way to give the Doctor more, or have sneakily given him more in the past.

Like maybe when River healed him in "Let's kill Hitler" the processes also transferred some of her own regenerations to him so he has more.
    |Buy ALL my things!|Collection Thread|Current Collection Count: ~661|
    |Wants|Galaxy Force Blue Rumble|

Quote Originally Posted by CBratron View Post
    The appearance of Matt Smith was weird and rather jarring to me. It was like watching the Star Wars original trilogy with the added prequel reference scenes. It just felt out of place.
    Baring in mind that it was a dramatisation; really William could've seen anybody in that moment, as he'd come to the realisation that this show could really have "long legs", so to speak, so it's really less of him seeing Matt Smith specifically (That's just who we as the viewer see, as we've the benefit of hindsight ) and more-so him just seeing a possible new face.
    (It could be looked at in reverse too in that Matt Smith is looking back at the guy who started it all - It was an acknowledgement at any rate)

I hope I've worded that adequately, it's been a long day.

Quote Originally Posted by Burn View Post
    Felt a little rushed, but other than that one little scene I enjoyed it. Great casting of all involved.
    Definitely agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
    So much fun, so many nightmares
    ...of tapes getting chewed in the VCR? - Bloody oath as it happened a couple of times so we started borrowing them from the local Library as they were in better nic!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Phoenix View Post
    I don't think they will ignore the Valeyard as the Great Intelligence say it is one of the Doctor's future names in "the Name of the Doctor"

They say that he is a result of the 12th to 13th regeneration, but how he is spawned isn't stated. I'm sure they could write around it.

Also, the Master had used all 12 of his regenerations but the Time Lords resurrected him and he had more regenerations. He had also always planned to steal the Doctor's remaining regenerations so he can keep living. It shows that Time Lords can be given more regenerations
    They could find a way to give the Doctor more, or have sneakily given him more in the past.

Like maybe when River healed him in "Let's kill Hitler" the processes also transferred some of her own regenerations to him so he has more.
    For sure - I reckon with the way the show works, there's a million and 1 different ways they could extend the Doctor's life, 13 iterations seems awfully limiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Autocon View Post
    I don't understand the end scene!! They are all there together?? Don't they all have their memories wiped clean?? Explain this I just don't get it. :/
    I understood it as a dream that the Eleventh Doctor was having.
    Also I must correct myself, Capaldi's Doctor is not in that shot (which of course would make sense if it is the Eleventh was having)

Just finished watching Adventures in Time and Space. Really quite interesting to see how successful Doctor Who has become despite such big obstacles in the beginning. The sexism faced by the producer (Lambert), racism faced by the director (Hussein), and of course the unfortunate timing of JFK's assassination. Matt Smith's little cameo was also quite touching - almost like seeing the actor for the latest Doctor saying a silent 'thank you' to the first actor for pioneering the role.

Quote Originally Posted by GoktimusPrime View Post
    Matt Smith's little cameo was also quite touching - almost like seeing the actor for the latest Doctor saying a silent 'thank you' to the first actor for pioneering the role.
    Thank you Goki.

My mind frustrates me in its inability to extrapolate what its feeling sometimes.

I've got to admit I am not a Dr Who fan. Maybe it's because as a kid I was freaked out by Tom Baker . One night leaving the TV on ABC for kids while putting my 2 boys to bed I came back to lounge room to see the first episode of the ninth doctor. To be honest I wasn't even sure what I was watching at first as Christopher Eccleston's doctor is not what I picture when people say Dr Who. I enjoyed it and watched all of his season. Then the other night on ABC I saw the Dr Who Ultimate Guide. It really helped explain a lot of things about Dr Who to me (like regeneration) and it may... just may... get me to watch a few more episodes to see if I really like it.
    HATRED FOR JAMES VAN DER BEEK RISING!

Still have some stuff for sale. Free pickup at Parra Fair
    http://www.otca.com.au/boards/showthread.php?t=8503

Now there are reports Marco Polo - a seven-episode story with the first Doctor - has been found. I've read the BBC is going to use footage filmed by someone pointing their camera at the screen while it was televised.
    I've seen some off-screen footage and it's pretty ordinary. If it's of the same standard than seven episodes will be a slog.
    I don't think this report is true, but I'd love to be proven wrong.